Does anyone have the gratuity removed from their onboard acct?

crissyp

Johnql stated

I personally think that it's a ridiculous notion that service has gone down as a result of automatic tipping. First of all, automatic tipping means that the tips are automatically debited to your onboard account. It does not mean that every server knows in advance exactly how much they will be receiving from the tip pool automatically. It does not mean that every staff person receives the same amount. Their share of the tip pool still depends on their performance, as determined by a whole host of factors (supervisor evaluation, seniority, comment cards filled out by passengers, etc.). The staff is also motivated by other factors: a desire for promotion, a desire for better assignments/shifts, peer pressure, more time off, personal pride and the ultimate motivation - the desire to keep one's job.

Before and after the institution of automatic tipping, there has been excellent, good, mediocre and bad service. It pretty much depends on the individual and his work ethic. This is human nature and will never change.

As I said, I don't think the automatic tipping currently causes a lack of service. I said that I feel if we did not still have the option of changing the tip, we would possibly see more of a problem.

Since tip pooling seams to be neccesary so the entire staff gets there fair share(whatever % that may be), it makes sense for the cruise lines to handle the money themselves.

It makes them money and saves the hassle of having to make sure that everyone who receives a tip, enters it in the pool. It would make sense that the employees will receive their portion of their tip with the normal pay. If they charge my cc on the last day of the cruise, and don't have to pay the employees for a couple of days or possibly even weeks(I don't know if they get paid weekly, monthly or by monthly). They get to earn the interest on all of that money, conservative avg 1500 pax at $10. pp/pd on a 7 day cruise is $140,000.00 in their bank account for whatever the time is between them collecting from us, and paying the employee. Makes smart business sense to me, and the employee doesn't lose anything, but the same amount of time. The share they make, will not make a lot of interest in that short time, but the larger sum, when pooled with how ever many ships they have at sea at any given time, adds up quick. I say again, smart business move.

Most passenger hopefully will never feel the need to drop the tip. I felt it neccesary on 1 trip. That did not prevent the people I felt deserved the tip from getting theirs. I was told by the front desk that I could give directly to people and they would get that. Hopefully that is really the case, otherwise some of the staff would unrightly not have gotten their due, but I can only go by what I was told by the front desk.

You must not have traveled outside the US too much. In the Pacific rim as well as many places in Europe an automatic tip or service charge appears on your bill: this is the tip. It is also customary to leave any loose change. In the Bahamas they have added 15% to everything for years and Miami as well as Orlando, there is a 15 to 18% charge added to all restaurant checks. This was a total shock to us. Many of us may not like this form of tipping but it is used more than some realize. I have never tried to adjust the amount, but my understanding is: you can not. NMNita

Did you know that in some states(like mine) if there is an auto charge for tips/gratuities that you are paying tax on those tips!! if it is not madatory to add the extra grautity/tip then its up to the customer to elect the amount they care to pay. The key to remember is if its automatic or voluntary.

Did you know that in some states(like mine) if there is an auto charge for tips/gratuities that you are paying tax on those tips!! if it is not madatory to add the extra grautity/tip then its up to the customer to elect the amount they care to pay. The key to remember is if its automatic or voluntary.

Never thought about that: though DH and I are pretty good tippers, he, particularly will not tip on tax: he just has a thing about this, now you mention we may be tipping on tax afterall in some of these situations. I bet, when I tell him this he will pay very close attention from now on. NMNita

If you keep the automatic tip and enjoy your waiter/runner/steward, what is the standard amount for extra tipping them?

There is no standard extra amount. It could range from $20 to $100 or more. It all depends on how much they did for you.

Just adding a different perspective to all you guys..

Coming from Australia, on the cruise that I went on - I took automatic tipping off. In addition, I didn't tip any staff onboard.

*shock* *horror* *gasp* I hear..

Let me explain.

We do not tip in Australia. Tipping isn't expected at even the nicest 5 star hotels (although I do tip sometimes to the bell boys etc) and as such most of us don't like the idea of being forced to tip. This isn't speaking for everyone.. I'm sure heaps of people left auto tipping on howver, I am not the only one who removed auto tipping. I didn't meet anyone onboard that ship, nor anyone I know personally off the ship, who left or leaves it on. I guess our rationale is that the fare we paid for the cruise is enough to cover it all.

Upon boarding the ship, there is ALWAYS a massive line at the Purser's Desk with people wanting to remove the automatic tipping. And I'm talking massive. When I boarded a few hours before sailing there was a line that went as far as I could see, and a few hours later I came back to join the queue and it was still extremely long.

On the flip side, If I went on a cruise from the US I would leave auto tipping on *only* because that is the cultural thing to do in America, the "norm".

If, however, I went on a Princess ship such as the Sapphire who's currently sailing out of Sydney - I would remove auto tipping because it's just something we don't do here.

*shrug*.. that'll probably raise a few hairs but oh well.. :)

An observation:) : I notice most of the people who said they would remove the tip from their accounts are "new" to the board (with low amount of posting.), while most who said they will keep the tip on their account and tip extra have >100 posting.

I wonder if it is something to do with experience. The more cruise people went on, the more they would really understand how the cruise industry work and workers earn a living.:rolleyes:

Just a though after reading this long post...:D

While I have only been on one cruise (with the 2nd coming up in Sept. :) ), I really like the automatic tipping. I added it to our account the night before we disembarked, and it saved me the trouble of figuring out what each person deserved. We also tipped extra to our stateroom attendant, for room service, and bartenders. I have been a waitress, and know what it is to give excellent service for no tip, and would never dream of stiffing someone.

An observation:) : I notice most of the people who said they would remove the tip from their accounts are "new" to the board (with low amount of posting.), while most who said they will keep the tip on their account and tip extra have >100 posting.

I wonder if it is something to do with experience. The more cruise people went on, the more they would really understand how the cruise industry work and workers earn a living.:rolleyes:

Just a though after reading this long post...:D

You could have a point. The more you cruise the more you realize that it's a culture all it's own. I agree with jjinx. That's just 1 less headache.

I don't understand why you would take away the tips for the wait staff and cabin steward just because your child participates in the kids' club. They still provide a service to your child, and yet you feel they don't deserve to be tipped for it?

Tips for the counselors in the kids' club should be given based on their service and should not be taken from other deserving crew members. Those tips are just a part of cruising and should be budgeted for--it's just another cost of cruising with children.

Our DD always travels with us and we tip the camp counselors generously because they usually have a great deal to do with how much DD enjoys her cruise. But, I would never consider removing her auto tips and using them to tip the counselors, thereby taking the tips away from our cabin steward and wait staff who take care of her and have earned those tips!

Jayne

I agree! $5.00 a day for your child's tip is really nothing. The kid's club members should be tipped on top of that. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to tip those that keep things nice for you all.

Let's start with a basic question before we jump out of the barby into the fire.

You go in to your favorite bar and order a bottle of beer (such as Fosters which I understand Australians really don't drink). How much do you pay for it in equivelent US dollars?

It depends what bar you go to. I live in Sydney CBD and all the bars around me are pretty pricey.. AUD$4-5 for a schooner of beer give or take. That's about US$4. But the majority of places in Australia would have beer for less than 4 aussie bucks.

Happy hour at the places around me have beers for AU$2.50 :D

In response to the person who noticed that those who 'post regularly' (and thus assumingly cruise more often) do not remove automatic tipping, that could be a valid point. But in my situation, it wouldn't matter if I cruised 5 times a year, I would remove automatic tipping because we just don't tip here. It's something we don't do and is something Australians will NEVER tolerate being forced to do. I would, of course, consider tipping personally if I got exceptional service, but I would never tip a staff member who was merely doing their job. I'm willing to bet that quite a lot of those, although obiously not ALL, who cruise regularly (at least once a year) in Australia would still remove automatic tipping.. But again on the flip side there would be those who would never dream of it.

I only wanted to point out in my post that in Australia we don't tip, and as such, it's reflected on our cruises in that people remove automatic tipping.

This is a total rough estimate with no basis or evidence behind it whatsoever, but I reckon that at least 80% of aussies cruising at of our regular ships would remove automatic tipping. :)

If you keep the automatic tip and enjoy your waiter/runner/steward, what is the standard amount for extra tipping them?

There's no standard amount. Do what's comfortable for you financially as well as in consideration of what's been done to make your cruise even more special. It could be anywhere from $5. to the cappuccino lady on HAL to $100 to the maitre'D on Princess who made sure we had our own table at the same time each evening. Anything extra you give will be most appreciated, especially if it's given with a smile and warm "thank you".

In response to the person who noticed that those who 'post regularly' (and thus assumingly cruise more often) do not remove automatic tipping, that could be a valid point. But in my situation, it wouldn't matter if I cruised 5 times a year, I would remove automatic tipping because we just don't tip here. It's something we don't do and is something Australians will NEVER tolerate being forced to do. I would, of course, consider tipping personally if I got exceptional service, but I would never tip a staff member who was merely doing their job. I'm willing to bet that quite a lot of those, although obiously not ALL, who cruise regularly (at least once a year) in Australia would still remove automatic tipping.. But again on the flip side there would be those who would never dream of it.

I only wanted to point out in my post that in Australia we don't tip, and as such, it's reflected on our cruises in that people remove automatic tipping.

This is a total rough estimate with no basis or evidence behind it whatsoever, but I reckon that at least 80% of aussies cruising at of our regular ships would remove automatic tipping. :)

Are these Australian cruises that you go on and don't tip? If they're not then you really should tip. The workers on these ships are not Australians and should not be forced to lose wages because you don't tip in your culture.

I always tip or don't tip according to the place I'm in, not where I'm from.

Please get a "when in Rome...." attitude and lose the "that's not what we do back home" attitude.

The cruise ship workers depend on tips as part of their salaries while the Aussie's are paid well for their services. I've been to Oz 6 times and I like your system better, but I can't punish the rest of the world who don't pay their staff well.

Are these Australian cruises that you go on and don't tip? If they're not then you really should tip. The workers on these ships are not Australians and should not be forced to lose wages because you don't tip in your culture.

I always tip or don't tip according to the place I'm in, not where I'm from.

Please get a "when in Rome...." attitude and lose the "that's not what we do back home" attitude.

The cruise ship workers depend on tips as part of their salaries while the Aussie's are paid well for their services. I've been to Oz 6 times and I like your system better, but I can't punish the rest of the world who don't pay their staff well.

I would suggest you read the entire thread before posting a comment.

I quite clearly have a "when in Rome" attitude, because, if you would have read a previous post of mine in this thread, I specifically stated that if I went on a US cruise leaving from America, I *would* leave tipping on because it *is* the customary thing to do.

The cruises I've been referring to are indeed Australian cruises. When I am back home, i.e. leaving from Sydney, I remove tipping, because it is not customary and I do not believe in tipping. Well, it's not that I don't "believe" in tipping, but I feel everyone has their choice to tip and I, as do most of my fellow Australians, choose not to.

So when you say that you tip according to the place you're in, not where you're from, it is exactly what I said so, again, please read before posting your comments.

Another thing, a staff's "wage" is what their company pays them. Me choosing to tip or not is *not* lessening a staff member's wage. I do not choose to go on a cruise in order to raise someones wage! I go on a cruise for a holiday. I pay a cruise fare, and some of that obviously goes towards the staff of the ship. Just because staff members do not get paid as well as others, does not mean we as Australians should have to "change" our culture and be forced to tip, just because we choose to have a cruise vacation. If P&O feel they should be paid more, they should give their staff pay rises. If I feel I've received good service from staff, I will be more likely to cruise again on that ship, thus paying another fare, thus contributing to their ongoing employment.

In saying this, however, as I've stated before, if I do receive exemplary service from someone in particular, I would definately consider tipping them - but not in order to 'increase their wages'. It would be merely a gesture of thanks - more of a 'have a drink on me mate'. But I would never leave on automatic tipping on an Australian cruise.

It depends what bar you go to. I live in Sydney CBD and all the bars around me are pretty pricey.. AUD$4-5 for a schooner of beer give or take. That's about US$4. But the majority of places in Australia would have beer for less than 4 aussie bucks.

Happy hour at the places around me have beers for AU$2.50 :D

Beer- the universal language!:cool:

I would suggest you read the entire thread before posting a comment.

I quite clearly have a "when in Rome" attitude, because, if you would have read a previous post of mine in this thread, I specifically stated that if I went on a US cruise leaving from America, I *would* leave tipping on because it *is* the customary thing to do.

The cruises I've been referring to are indeed Australian cruises. When I am back home, i.e. leaving from Sydney, I remove tipping, because it is not customary and I do not believe in tipping. Well, it's not that I don't "believe" in tipping, but I feel everyone has their choice to tip and I, as do most of my fellow Australians, choose not to.

So when you say that you tip according to the place you're in, not where you're from, it is exactly what I said so, again, please read before posting your comments.

I have to disagree with you. You cited a Princess cruise that sails Australia. Just because it's sailing in Australian waters doesn't mean Princess changes its policies with regard to how their staff is paid. The same pay structure is in place, meaning the service staff is paid extremely low wages and the passengers (as is traditional on ships with international crews) are expected to tip.

I would agree with you if you tell me that you're sailing on a ship with Australian workers, who are perhaps governed by local laws requiring that the service staff gets paid a decent minimum wage. This is the case in Hawaii with NCLA's three Pride ships (Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, and Pride of Hawaii). With NCLA, the service staff is primarily American and American wage laws are in place. Their service staff is paid considerably more than the international crews on all other ships.

So, to me, it doesn't matter that the ship leaves from Australia. It's still an international ship. That means the "When in Rome" adage still applies. In this case, it means that when sailing an international ship with an international crew that is paid slave wages, tipping is imperative.

Don't quite understand the meaning of "try". You either tip or you don't. There's really nothing trying or difficult about it.

Sorry, poor choice of wording. I meant to say that I do it at the end of the week. Although on Celebrity Horizon, we were told that there would be envelopes on the last night, there were not, we had to give the tip to the front desk and hope that it got to the proper staff. I would think it did, since we put the girls name on an envelope that we got from the front desk staff. NCL was easier. They had envelopes on the second to last night. That tip could not be put on the account.

Archived