Kona Rental Car - question please

trbasso

I want to make sure I'm using the right rental car location in Kona. I've made all my reservations through Thrifty. In Kona, I used the NON-airport location. We are on POH - is that the closest location to the pier?

We reserved an intermediate car, and it's $48. All the other locations are only about $30. And Enterprise is only $29 for Kona. I don't know why Thrifty is so much higher at Kona, unless they are running out of cars??

We rented from Thrifty in Kona also, but had to get ours from the airport, which turned out to be a big mistake. The location in the downtown hotel is much more convenient and will cost you less in the long run. The hotel is right across the street from the tender pier. In all the other ports Thrifty had a shuttle bus that picked us up at the pier and took us to the rental car agencies at the airport, but they don't provide that service in Kona. We begged a ride from another company so we wouldn't have to pay $25 for cab fare to the airport. We were able to drop our car off at the hotel at the end of the day for a nominal fee of $25(?). If you are using Thrifty you are much better off getting it from the downtown location. If you decide to go with another company make sure they provide shuttle service from the pier.

We just booked with Dollar in Kona at the pier/hotel location for a May rental. We have done this before, and it is so much better/easier/faster than an airport location that we feel it is worth the extra $$. But I was surprised at the $63.94 price! They only had the full size cars available at that location. This price includes taxes and fees. I am going to look into Thrifty now!

In Maui (Lahaina) we are using Enterprise at the Sheraton Hotel Kaanapali location. They have always given good service. This is also more expensive - $44.66 including taxes and fees. They had only a larger car available.

In Honolulu we have booked an economy car with Enterprise as we weren't happy with Thrifty there the last time. Cost is $28.12 inclusive.

In Kauai and Hilo we have booked economy cars with Thrifty, both were $34.11 inclusive, and we joined the Blue Chip program.

Just tried to reserve in Kona with Thrifty. The girl couldn't find a location at the King K hotel but she gave me an 800# to call, and when I did so it was for Dollar! Also my total amount (above post) is $53.52 - not $63.94 as I first stated. Still high, but better! Good Luck to everyone reserving cars! Touring the islands in our own rental car has always been a total delight, but making the arrangements can sure be FRUSTRATING and TIME CONSUMING!

We just booked with Dollar in Kona at the pier/hotel location for a May rental. We have done this before, and it is so much better/easier/faster than an airport location that we feel it is worth the extra $$. But I was surprised at the $63.94 price! They only had the full size cars available at that location. This price includes taxes and fees. I am going to look into Thrifty now!

In Maui (Lahaina) we are using Enterprise at the Sheraton Hotel Kaanapali location. They have always given good service. This is also more expensive - $44.66 including taxes and fees. They had only a larger car available.

In Honolulu we have booked an economy car with Enterprise as we weren't happy with Thrifty there the last time. Cost is $28.12 inclusive.

In Kauai and Hilo we have booked economy cars with Thrifty, both were $34.11 inclusive, and we joined the Blue Chip program.

With the convenience of the King Kam hotel for Dollar many cruise ship passengers would book there. I am wondering how crowded it is if everyone getting off the ship to rent a car gets their vehicle at that location. Is there extra long lines since everyone has that same idea...any feedback on that?

Since I plan to visit beaches north of the airport I am considering getting my rental at the airport. I did do some phoning around since not all the rental places have a shuttle to the airport to the pier. National Car Rental did have a shuttle... you call them when you arrive and they will send a shuttle to pick you up.

Since I was heading towards the airport area for our tour of the island for us I thought it might be more convenient

Thank you, everyone. I just called the Enterprise location, and confirmed that their location is very close to the pier. They do have a free shuttle that takes you to their place. The car is only $30 - so I think I'll go with Enterprise. In case anyone else needs the number it is 808-331-2509 and the address is 74-5583 Luhia St. Kailua Kona.

trbasso - Thanks so much for the Kona Enterprise information.

emmy - We've never had a problem with a crowd at the King Kam but then DH is almost always the first in line for tender tickets, and he walks fast, so he usually ends up first in line at the counter!! I can see your point. If you know you are going in the airport direction that makes sense. We have been up that way, but now we usually go the other direction. After reading trbasso's last post I'm going to check out Enterprise as well. I seem to remember some not so good comments about them in Kona, but that was a long time ago, so I'm going to post a new thread asking for anyone who has used them recently to comment.

emmy - We've never had a problem with a crowd at the King Kam but then DH is almost always the first in line for tender tickets, and he walks fast, so he usually ends up first in line at the counter!! I can see your point. If you know you are going in the airport direction that makes sense. We have been up that way, but now we usually go the other direction. After reading trbasso's last post I'm going to check out Enterprise as well. I seem to remember some not so good comments about them in Kona, but that was a long time ago, so I'm going to post a new thread asking for anyone who has used them recently to comment.

trbasso ~ yes agreed thanks for that info and Bucky I will look for your new thread about Enterprise :)

I don't know if this is typical, but I thought I'd pass it along. We rented from Thrifty at the King Kam location. Thrifty was about $17 cheaper than Dollar.

Two things. DH had only brought his DL, ship ID, and cash. I brought DL, ship DI, cash, and the credit card we were going to use. The thing is that even though it's a joint account, they made me put the rental in my name because my name was on the CC. Then they wanted to charge me $15 to put DH on as a second driver; well, we had no choice. They ended up not charging us for the second driver, but I thought you all might want to know. I had never realized that the CC itself has to have the driver's name on it. Of course, DH typically has his whole wallet with him, so it's never been an issue.

Second thing. The car we rented was filthy inside and out. I thought maybe we just ended up with what was left because we didn't rent until about 9:30. Well, when we returned the car in the afternoon, we overheard several people complaining about how dirty the cars were when they picked them up. We didn't complain then because the time to complain would have been at pick up, and we just didn't want to waste more time. We always have a big container of wipes, which cleaned the inside enough to make it tolerable, and off we went. Maybe it was just that day, but it could be that they simply don't clean and wash the cars there. It was, to quote a youngster, icky.

beachchick

I called the Enterprise phone number 808-331-2509 and the price I was quoted for an economy car was $45.01 including the taxes. I am sticking with Dollar at the King Kam hotel for $53.52 - just a few $$s more for a bigger car. They don't have economy cars at the hotel location. We've always had good service from them. I suppose prices have to do with the number of ships in port, number of vacationers on the island, etc. Good luck with your rentals, everyone!

Thanks, Nancy. We will appreciate that. We have been sailing right along with you albeit by computer at home! Surely hope you get beautiful days to explore the Big Island from Hilo and Kona and hope Madame Pele puts on a good show as you cruise past the volcano area! Mahalo for all the information you are providing.

We rented from Dollar at Kona a couple of weeks ago from the Pride of Aloha. We had to wait in line maybe 10 minutes to get our car, but the line grew longer before we finished.

Our car was fine, clean and pretty new.

I hope that any of you who have been concerned about the high price of a rental at Kona have followed the advice given elsewhere on this board and made your reservation through http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.htm so you can take advantage of their corporate discount.

We rented from Dollar at Kona a couple of weeks ago from the Pride of Aloha. We had to wait in line maybe 10 minutes to get our car, but the line grew longer before we finished.

I hope that any of you who have been concerned about the high price of a rental at Kona have followed the advice given elsewhere on this board and made your reservation through http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.htm so you can take advantage of their corporate discount.

Any convertables available at Dollar from the King Kam rental location?

Curious as to what time of the morning or day you arrived to secure your rental?

Thanks for the link. That's the one I had been looking for.

Susan :)

Archived