car rental in coz

7nucruzers

I saw some negative comments on renting a vehicle on your own in cozumel. we are on jos 11/14/04 - a group of nine of us. i have reserved a mini van - to do the island on our own since none of us drink we will not be visiting c&c just want to have fun touring the island. now i'm re-thinking this? what do you think? will we be safe? do they drive on the "wrong" side of the road there or is it like here in the us?

I think you are going to have a good time driving around the island. You will see so much more than those poor sots that spend their precious Coz time at a bar. Be prepared with a good map.

http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel_map.html is an excellent map/guide to Cozumel. I got one for our upcoming trip there for a week of diving. It really is worth the money. We're planning on renting a car our last day and visiting the east side.

We (20 adults) rented 5 jeeps and toured most of cozumel in half a day... stopping at lots of fun spots along the way... we had not problems with the road or other drivers, just watch out for the fools on the mo-peds! Have a super cruise...

Kim

We rented a Geo Tracker 2 summers ago (2 adults/2 14 year old sons), we drove through San Miguel, across the island, saw the San Gervasio Ruins, went to Chen Rio beach for a few hours, drove south and then up the west coast and ended up shopping for awhile. You can easily see all of that and more...we've been on islands with worse drivers, and there actually isn't much traffic once you leave San Miguel. Driving is on the right like in the U.S. Be sure to look at the thread(s) on these boards about the police bandits. We never experienced that, but I guess it happens.

Archived