Help with Mariner of the Seas

wenchcat

My husband, myself and our 13 year old son want to sail on the Mariner in August.

I have a couple of questions:

1) We are looking at either a Junior Suite on Deck 9 or a Balcony Cabin on either deck 6 or 7. Which would you choose and why?

2) We will be driving our car to the pier? Is parking nearby and what is cost please?

3) My husband and I will be celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary during the cruise, how can we make it special?

4) Who to book with? Every place that I have checked the rates are all the same. Do I book with a major brick and mortar travel agency or online one? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks for your help!!

Cathy

My husband, myself and our 13 year old son want to sail on the Mariner in August.

I have a couple of questions:

1) We are looking at either a Junior Suite on Deck 9 or a Balcony Cabin on either deck 6 or 7. Which would you choose and why?

2) We will be driving our car to the pier? Is parking nearby and what is cost please?

3) My husband and I will be celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary during the cruise, how can we make it special?

4) Who to book with? Every place that I have checked the rates are all the same. Do I book with a major brick and mortar travel agency or online one? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks for your help!!

Cathy

I would go for the Junior Suite. Very nice and roomy and the bathrooms have a bathtub where the regular cabins only have a shower.

There is parking at the port in a garage and it is very convenient. The cost is/was $12.00 per day.

For your anniversary, I would suggest booking either Chops or Portofino's for dinner. There is an extra charge per person but it will be worth it. Make reservations the first day on the ship.

Who to book with? Well you will get different answers here. I use a TA and have for years. I have tried it both ways and my TA takes care of everything for me. The price will be the same as agencies cannot discount but they can throw in things like travel insurance, on board credits, etc. Just check around. One caution, if you book with a TA then find out if they have any charges for cancellations or changes. If they do over and above what the cruise lines charge then do not book with them. Good luck and come back here if you have anymore questions.

Keep in mind that for the 7 day parking charge PC charges (which they shouldn't be as much $$ as they make) you can usually find a room nearby that lets you park there for free and will take & pick you up.

Definitely go for the JS--a 13 year old boy is probably getting some size on him--you will love the extra space. Even with only 2 in a regular room, it will be tight. (The walk-in closet will be a godsend for storing stuff for 3!!! Plus, it can double as a dressing room!)

Definitely go for the JS--a 13 year old boy is probably getting some size on him--you will love the extra space. Even with only 2 in a regular room, it will be tight. (The walk-in closet will be a godsend for storing stuff for 3!!! Plus, it can double as a dressing room!)

I agree.

If you can afford the JS, do it!

I would go with the JS on deck 9 if you can. If you decide to go with the balcony cabin, I would choose deck 7 if your son plans to use the internet. We were on deck 6 and it got tiring walking up the stairs to deck 8 just to use the internet (I know elevators are there but I didn't want to wait!) So whichever you want. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself no matter what you choose!

Hands down the suite, I just got off the mariner and had the JS, the extra space in the room made it worth every penny. I had a balcony the other 3 times but this was my first suite and wont be my last.

I always shuttle in so I cant help you with the car price

Go to chops or portofinos for dinner for your anniversary. That will certainly make it special and the meals are excellent, and the atmosphere is definitely romantic

As for who to book with, I am not a fan of the online agencies, I always use a TA, its nice to be able to get someone on the phone and talk to whenever you want.

Archived