Where is the BEST BEACH for the day

rucruizin

No, I don't live in St. Kitts. :(

My family lives there and I have been going down since I was a baby.

Mr. X's water taxi was $10 USD round trip per person. http://www.mrxshiggidyshack.com

You can e-mail him to confirm current rates and times.

South Frigate Bay is the closest beach to Port Zante, then South Friars and Cockleshell located on the southeast peninsula.

Cockleshell is a good beach to snorkel.

A water taxi will be faster, but by taking a land taxi you will see more of the island and get an overview of the islands history and culture. I recommend http://*****

Liz,

Thank you for your response. How far is Cockleshell? Is the snorkeling real good there or just so so? South Frigate sounds like fun with all the beach bars, but if snorkeling is really good at Cockleshell I may want to go there. We're not in St. Kitts to long, we're there on Sunday, Nov 18th from 12 noon till 6 so it doesn't give us a lot of time so I don't want to travel very far to get to a beach.

Thanks for all the information you provide.

Beachbuddy

Liz,

Thank you for your response. I did email the person you suggested about transportation but he is already booked for tours that day. He told me that South Frigate is about a 10 minute ride and Cockleshell is about a 25 minute ride. Because we don't get there till noon, I think I'd rather go to South Frigate instead of spending almost an hour going to and from Cockleshell. We will be going to other islands where the snorkeling will be good so I guess we'll wait and do snorkeling there. Maybe our next visit to St. Kitts will give us more time to explore.

Thanks again for all the great information.

Beachbuddy

Liz,

Thank you for your response. How far is Cockleshell? Is the snorkeling real good there or just so so? South Frigate sounds like fun with all the beach bars, but if snorkeling is really good at Cockleshell I may want to go there. We're not in St. Kitts to long, we're there on Sunday, Nov 18th from 12 noon till 6 so it doesn't give us a lot of time so I don't want to travel very far to get to a beach.

Thanks for all the information you provide.

Beachbuddy

I snorkeled at Cockleshell and it wasn't that great. But the beach and view is beautiful! Did snorkel on catamaran cruises a couple of times and had a wonderful time. I believe we snorkeled at ****tten Bay. Well...Looks like it won't allow me to post the name of this bay since it begins with "shi". It's located just south of Green Point.

Glad you enjoyed the pics. Our first trip to St. Kitts was a cruise stop Feb. 2006 aboard Celebrity's Constellation. Loved it so much we returned for a one week land vacation. Am currently reading about the plight of the Fantome in the book "The Ship and the Storm".

This past Feb we had the opportunity to try a "Killerbee"....Yummy!

Hi Dan&Deanna, I would regonize that ID anywhere. :) You stayed at Timothy Beach Resort and we met at Mr. Z's.

I'm lucky enough to have spent a week on St. Kitts, as well as a week on Nevis. Both islands are gorgeous and worth a tour. I don't know near what Liz knows, BUT IMHO, for a great beach day, GO TO NEVIS...PINNEY'S Beach is the "best" beach in the area. It is long and wide with clear, calm water for snorkeling. The views of Nevis Peak and St. Kitts are amazing. And there are great little beach bars...the famous Sunshine's, as well as Golden Rock and Chevy's. Enjoy!

I also enjoy spending the day at Pinney's Beach. The view is breathtaking and the food and service at Chevy's is excellent. Be sure to try their famous Pink Panty cocktail.

You can take the catamaran excursion or the local ferry.

Liz, Where do you get the catamaran excursion or the local ferry? We're only there from noon to 6:00 pm - would we have time to do that?

Beachbuddy

You would have time for one of the ferries to Nevis but the catamarans leave St Kitts about 9-9:30 & return about 4PM. Depending on what day of the week you are there you could catch a ferry over & back within the time frame you are in St Kitts.

See attached:Ferry Schedule

For Sunday 18 November, 2007

for All Ferries

From Basseterre to Charlestown 12:30 pm

Carib Queen

Ferry Schedule

For Sunday 18 November, 2007

for All Ferries

4:00 pm

Carib Queen

Thanks Paul,

Not sure it that's enough time to spend on Nevis. We don't get there till noon - I'm confused, where is Charlestown? is that on Nevis? How long of a ferry ride is it? We'll probably have to be back at the port around 5 pm. Do you think we should just go over to Frigate Bay this time and do Nevis when we're there a full day?

Beachbuddy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Liz,

We will be docking in St. Kitts in a couple of weeks. We've heard that South Friars Beach is very nice. Are there decent bathroom facilities? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks for all your info on this island.

Hi Liz,

We will be docking in St. Kitts in a couple of weeks. We've heard that South Friars Beach is very nice. Are there decent bathroom facilities? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks for all your info on this island.

Sammy,

We just returned today from a 12 night cruise and ended up going to Cockleshell Beach. It was lovely - there's a Reggae Beach Bar there and the people were so nice. Beers were $12 for a bucket of 6 bottles. Chairs and umbrellas were $5 each. The beach is right across from Nevis so the view is very nice. It was a $6.50 each taxi ride to get there and it was a nice ride from the port so we got to see some of the island on the way to the beach. St. Kitts is gorgeous.........we both fell in love with it! There are bathrooms at the Reggae Beach Bar and they were very clean.

The ship tours were all going to Turtle, but evidently, they are doing some work on Turtle so it was closed and the tours took all the people to Cockleshell which is right next to Turtle. The ship tours were quite expensive and it's much cheaper to do it yourself..........just hop a taxi.

Beachbuddy

Liz,

We absolutely loved this island!!! It's one of the most beautiful islands I've been on. We went to Dominica, Barbados (rained all day), Antiqua, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Old San Juan and I think the highlight for us was St. Kitts. It's breathtaking!

Beachbuddy

Step 222,

I think it's around $3.00......can't remember. That's were we were headed when we got in the taxi, but on the way we decided to go to Cockleshell instead and the fare was $6.50 for that. I'm glad we did because we got a nice tour of the island on the way there - it was a beautiful ride there. We loved St. Kitts. There's a great beach bar at Cockleshell - it's called Reggae Beach Bar.

Beachbuddy

• 2 months later...

We Just Went To Friars Bay. It Is Very Remote. Had A Couple Beach Bar "shanties" Only Port-a-pottie For Toilets. We Loved The Beach Though, Very Small Crowd Maybe 40 People The Day We Was There. Snorkeling Was Great And It Was Only About A 10 Minute Walk To The Other Side Of The Island That Was Totally Vacant But Beautiful. Cost Us $15 A Person Round Trip For Water Taxi. Cheaper And Faster Than A Car Taxi.

Archived