Alaska in August...

Montana Jeanie

I will be in Alaska this August on HAL out of Seattle. I am wondering about the clothing for this trip - I see what is online with the cruise line, but am wondering what on earth to bring, other than layers and a rain jacket. Does anyone know if I even need a swimsuit on this trip??

Thanks!!!:o

I cruised Alaska in May and in August. The weather was very much like here in Seattle ... we were walking around in shorts and T's, or I'd wear a sleeveless sweater. Maybe a light jacket or sweater if it seemed it might get chilly. But, we're used to this climate ... Definitely bring some sort of rain jacket.... we really didn't see any rain except for one day in sitka, as we got back to the boat, but I hear it is likely to rain at any time.

We used the hot tubs onboard, so I'd recommend a bathing suit for that. You probably wouldn't need more than one.

I definitely wore shorts, and capris too. I haven't been to Montana, but I suspect your summers are on teh cooler sides like ours are? If so, you SHOULD be fine dressing like you would at home. I'd still have something on hand though, in case the weather turns. If I were to go again, I'd pack like I would for a week in Seattle.

When we were in Alaska in August 2004, it was very warm and all the sweaters and stuff were just too warm. Except when the ship was in the inside passage and when we took a heliocpter to the glacier (fantastic!).

Go and have wonderful time. It is beautiful.

You really don't know in advance with Alaska. It can be warm, or it can be cool and you should always expect some rain. If you don't see rain, you're just lucky that week!

We were there in August of 05 and we wore long pants, shorts, bathing suits, raincoats and mittens (only on the glacier day). Most days were into the 70's, the only rain we saw was in Juneau and Ketchikan. Even on the rainy days, it was not cold, perhaps in the high 60's, so just a light rain coat over clothing was all we needed.

If I were to cruise there again, I'd not pack so many jeans, but knit pants, like yoga pants. I'd not take extra shoes in case one pair got wet, that was a waste of packing space. I'd remember my most comfortable sandals next time, I really missed mine on this cruise.

Sea days were quite warm and people were in the pool and hot tubs.

Archived