Question regarding formal night Serenade of the Seas

I have read in the past on here that it was ok for a man to wear a dress shirt with no tie or jacket during the formal nights.

Is this the case? I was reading the dress code on RCCI page and it says suits and tuxedos?? Do people really get that dressed up???

Anyone that has been on the ship please give me some insight!! :) thanks

Yes, people do get dressed up!!!! You will find tuxs, white dinner jackets, and suits. Some wear sport jackets, but with a shirt and tie. There are a few who don't comply, but I doubt you would want to be among that group. The first formal night is usually the captain's party and one should be dressed-up for that!!!! I can't imagine any one going with out a tie or jacket.

Mocorobabe

We saw all types of dresses for women for formal nights, and we saw most men in suits, or jackets w/ slacks. I don't remember seeing men in just dress shirts and slacks w/o ties, but I think that would be just fine. If you would want to, you could probably find a jacket for him that wouldn't cost too much. There are all kinds of bargains and bargain places out there. Even just adding a tie would dress his outfit up. I also think that each week's cruise can have a different demographic clientel, and some are more dressed up than others.

So, no definitive answer from me! Geeze, what kind of help am I?

Just tell him to do what my husband does. He wears his suit for dinner only, about two hours and then after dinner he changes back to vacation clothes. A lot of people stay in their formal clothes for the evening, but no one says you have to. It works for us. Hope this helps.

I am going to be seeing him next week (long distance relationship). I will have to do an inspection of his wardrobe and possibly take a shopping trip with him. I am also going to start looking for stuff here in the department stores and see what I come up with. I dont think he would mind the jacket and dress shirt and slacks...it's the tie that will freak him out a bit!! :)

I am going to be seeing him next week (long distance relationship). I will have to do an inspection of his wardrobe and possibly take a shopping trip with him. I am also going to start looking for stuff here in the department stores and see what I come up with. I dont think he would mind the jacket and dress shirt and slacks...it's the tie that will freak him out a bit!! :)

When you fit him for a shirt and tie, just make sure it's not at all tight, and he probably won't balk too much! Plus he should look delicious! Tell him how much you will like it! ;)

I will have to break the news to my boyfriend.

I personally don't have a problem wearing a nice dress and going to dinner. He hates ties...do you think he could get away with the jacket and no tie?? LOL Ugh...this is going to be fun!

My friends boyfriend was the same. He refused to even bring a jacket. Well, when we were in line waiting to get in the dining room his mouth dropped. He said to his girlfriend, "why didn't you tell me it was so dressy". Needless to say she did but he wouldn't listen. They headed to the rental shop for a jacket. I think if your boyfriend is comfortable without a tie let him go like that. A jacket AND tie with you in your beautiful dress will make for some nice formal night pictures though. Just a thought. He can then take his tie off. I definitely wouldn't get into an arguement over it.

Don't plan on arguing :) It isnt worth it. We are both looking forward to spending a week together! It's hard enough being long distance.

I will make him give me a rundown of what he has and see if he owns a suit!! I am sure I can "persuade" him somehow...I do love a man in a suit after all!! I am sure that will make him rethink his position!! :)

Don't plan on arguing :) It isnt worth it. We are both looking forward to spending a week together! It's hard enough being long distance.

I will make him give me a rundown of what he has and see if he owns a suit!! I am sure I can "persuade" him somehow...I do love a man in a suit after all!! I am sure that will make him rethink his position!! :)

Get him a really cool tie - you know his taste better than we do! (I hope ;)). Maybe a nice Jerry Garcia, or a cute Disney one, depending on his *style*. Or if he is a big rah-rah for his alma mater, get him a tie from his college - I think that they all sell them!

Had to reply to this because I just got off the Serenade last night (sniff sniff...best cruise EVER!). I agree w/everyone about the Formal night means formal, but I just have to tell ya that our waiter said something that suprised my fiancee and I so much that everyone laughed at us when we both reacted by turning to eachother and giving a "what??" look. Our waiter said to us "Okay everyone, tomorrow is our second formal night, dress up, but if you don't want to dress up you can be casual, that is fine too.....".

We gave him funny looks and questioned it but hey, that's what he said. Let it be noted though that I don't think when he said casual that he meant shorts or anything. Even on the "smart casual" nights pretty much everyone on this sailing looked fantastic and dressed for the occaision. :)

Laura

I have read in the past on here that it was ok for a man to wear a dress shirt with no tie or jacket during the formal nights.

Is this the case? I was reading the dress code on RCCI page and it says suits and tuxedos?? Do people really get that dressed up???

Anyone that has been on the ship please give me some insight!! :) thanks

Buy or rent a nice toxido. This is cruise. Get your self a nice picture and have a ball. Personally I dislike the way fellow pax dress casual for formal nights

Why not do the big thing and talk BF into renting a tux from the ship?? Just keep telling him what a handsome hunk of man he is and how elegant and sexy he will look in a tux. Then dress up yourself and you will be able to get really memorable pictures! And afterwards ... you can give him a reward for being so nice and looking so great ...;)

I suspect you are not in the same age group we are, but check out the pics of us on Serenade formal night ...

The Halls on Serenade and Serenade page 2

that bridge in the solarium is sooo romantic!;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

The dress is suggested, not required. There will be others in the dining room on formal night with more casual clothes on, and there will be some dressed to the "nines". Either way unless shorts or swimware is worn the guest will not be asked to leave the dining room.

Archived