Maasdam vs Volendam

virginia600

Hi Everyone,

I need honest opinions on the Maasdam vs the Volendam. I am planning to take a cruise on one of them in November 2007. I will be traveling solo and in my early 50's. It has been awhile since I have been on HAL cruise so I am aware of the sedate envoirnment this is not the issue. What I am looking for is information about the ships, food, layout, decor, staff etc..

All opinions are welcomed!

Susan

Other than a few differences in layout, the Volendam and Maasdam are mostly the same. We were on the Maasdam last spring and the Volendam several years ago and both cruises are excellent. Crew changes, take time off, move to a different ship and that includes captains, hotel managers, CDs, chefs. Menus are at least mostly the same from ship to ship The Maasdam has the rear (outdoor) pool on the navigation desk and the Volendam at the rear of the Lido deck. Maasdam has two sets of elevators (fore and aft) and the Volendam three sets (fore, mid, and aft). Both are excellent ships and I'd suggest making the choice by itinerary.

We sailed the Volendam in 05 to Alaska, and the Maasdam last Nov to the Caribbean and loved them both. We are returning to the Volendam this Nov to the Panama Canal leaving Fort Lauderdale 11/13.

Both ships are delightful, with the Volendam being slightly larger. There really are only minor differences between the two and you will enjoy either one. The wife and I would be delighted to make your acquaintance if you decide to sail with us.

Cheers,

We've enjoyed them both. Other than the Volendam being a little larger than Maasdam they are very similar in style and ambience. Crews move from ship to ship, so there is no way to say one is better than the other- all the crews are great. Same thing with food- chefs change, but basically the menus and quality are mostly directed from Seattle and there is no way to say either ship has better food at any particular time.

All things being equal with similar itineraries we would choose Volendam with the midship elevators. ;)

Most of the differences have already been discussed. We were on the sister to the Volendam the Zaandam in December and will be on the Maasdam in November. I must admit that the middle stairs and elevator make a big difference, for us the fact the Maasdam is smaller is somthing we like, but I don't think you can go wrong with either ship.

I have sailed several months on each ship and can confirm all comments made in this thread.

Although I am a Maasdam baby (being it my first ship to work on), I have to admitt that I have a small preference for the Volendam. The fact that she is a little larger, makes her appear a bit more grown-up. Plus the interior design of the Lido on the Volendam is better than onboard the Maasdam.

As for the pianobar; onboard the MADM this is indeed a bar "with walls around it", while the bar onboard the VODM is more open. However, the VODM can put curtains in place to give the piano bar a more intimate atmosphere.

The MADM is a little older but after the recent fleet-wide "signature of excellence" upgrades that should not make a big difference anymore

Both ships are great!

I like the Maasdam; it's so easy and quick to get anywhere on the ship because of its size. No experience on the Volendam, but Westerdam was noticably larger. I accidentally leave alot of things behind in the room when preparing to go ashore or to eat, so it's nice to be able to quickly pop back to the room to grab my license, my sunglasses, my sunblock, a sweater, etc.

As for the pianobar; onboard the MADM this is indeed a bar "with walls around it", while the bar onboard the VODM is more open. However, the VODM can put curtains in place to give the piano bar a more intimate atmosphere.

It isn't the "walls" vs "open" that I was thinking of so much as the fact that on the Maasdam (and all the S-class ships) you can sit at the piano; there is no dance floor. Whereas on the Volendam (and all the R-class ships) you cannot sit at the piano. You sit at little tables around a dance floor.

It's a whole different atmosphere.

Archived