San Juan Port Question

How far from the airport is the port for RC Adventure of the Seas? How long does it take to get there, and can you do it by cab? Cost? Also, what is the earliest departure flight that you would recommend back home? Does this ship allow self disembarkation?

Any recommendations for a hotel in San Juan before the cruise?

Thanks,:)

Hi, Did AOS last September and we're booked again for this Spetember too.

San Juan INTL (SJU) is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from the port. All taxi prices in PR are regulated and there are plenty of cabs to get around. Cost was about 25 bucks with tip each way for 2 with bags. I recommend (as most cruisers do) flying in a day or two ahead of time to deal with any airline problems that might arise.

AOS does allow self debarkation but what's even better is that most of the major airlines actually allow you to check in bags at the pier if your flight is after 2pm. Sign up for this service with the purser's staff on board.

SJU can be a mess on Sundays. I would recommend no flight before 1230 although some have made it as early as 11. We were off the ship by 930 last time.

Forgot your last question...

We stayed at the Westin Rio Mar last year for 2 nights and will be staying there again for three nights this year. It is not in San Juan, it's 45 minutes away near the El Junque rain forest.

The hotel is beautiful with great food and an AWESOME beach. There is a car rental on site as well as hotel shuttle service down town and to the airport if you want to see Old San Juan as well.

I apologize for hi-jacking the thread, but I was going to pretty much post the same question. I will be honeymooning on AOS on October 21, and will have to fly in the same day. I am going to book flights today and need to know ideal times to fly in and out. I am flying direct from Charlotte, NC. Thanks.

Christopher

Direct from CLT would mean that you're on USAirways. I am a US elite frequent flyer and have had mixed success on their INTL flights. If you must travel the same day, book the first flight out. That way, if there are problems, you can switch carriers and still have most of the day to get there.

On the way back, no flight before noon. I believe US had a 1230 flt to CLT. That would be the earliest I'd book.

Remember that Sunday is a big travel day and that you aren't the only ship in port - airport traffic can be really rough in San Juan on weekends. What usually takes 20 minutes by cab is suddenly over an hour. Also don't forget that the ship could have customs or immigration problems in San Juan which can hold up disembarkation. (I know it can happen anywhere but it seems to happen more in Puerto Rico.) I was on a ship in November that had some huge problems and at 1pm I was still sitting on the ship waiting for my color to be called. People were missing their flights left and right. You are taking a big gamble if you buy a ticket for anything before noon in my opinion.

As for a hotel I always stay at the Caribe Hilton. It's close to the cruise terminal has a nice beach, great pool, lots of restaurants and it's the home of the pina colada.

Archived