Laptop: To bring or not to bring?

flitter306

The thought of being without the Internet for two weeks is not sitting well with me! Plus, transferring my pictures from my digi cam to my laptop will give me some peace of mind. I'd hate to lose my memory card and all pics of my honeymoon along with it!

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience bringing their laptop on a cruise? I know it won't fit in that safe, but maybe they have larger safes at the pursers?

We took our laptop along on our last two cruises, partly because we had a special need to be connected and to download pictures to our computer. We simply stored it in our closet of our room, with no problem. I understand that's a risk, but we did fine.

If you need to stay connected, the laptop will assure you don't have to wait for one of the internet cafe systems to be available. Walk in, do your business, walk out. And, you can download your pictures quickly in the comfort of your room.

I always bring mine, mostly because a) I'm a geek b) I'm an Intenet addict and c) I still need to connect to my computer at work while I'm away and I'm not entirely comfortable doing that on a public computer. And to download pics to, as well.

Last week, I was able to get a WiFi signal in my cabin on the Elation (even though that ship doesn't have ship-wide WiFi) because my cabin was directly under the ship's Internet cafe. I could sit out on my balcony and do what I needed to do online. It was sweet. :)

I always bring mine, mostly because a) I'm a geek b) I'm an Intenet addict and c) I still need to connect to my computer at work while I'm away and I'm not entirely comfortable doing that on a public computer. And to download pics to, as well.

Last week, I was able to get a WiFi signal in my cabin on the Elation (even though that ship doesn't have ship-wide WiFi) because my cabin was directly under the ship's Internet cafe. I could sit out on my balcony and do what I needed to do online. It was sweet. :)

I now only take mine on longer than 7 day cruises but I've taken it plenty in the past. I never worried about locking it up and, in fact, left it out on the table all the time without any problems. If you're worried about someone taking it, you can buy a lock cable and secure to to something in the room.

Keep in mind the Internet access is very slow on board and it's charged by the minute so you can rack of quite a bill in no time. Try to compose off line and connect only to send and receive email. Surfing the Net is almost completely out because the connection speed is so slow. There will be packages of time that you can buy or you can pay by the minute. It's the same price if you have your own laptop (with wireless LAN) or if you use the computers in the Internet cafe. If you don't have a wireless card, you'll have to rent one from them.

I'd say if it makes you more comfortable to take it along you should do that. It would definately be a backup for those precious photos. Hope you have a great honeymoon!

Just a tip......my DH has done computer networking even internationally forever for major companies so we don't travel anywhere without a laptop. We've never had a problem with one disappearing. Locking it in your suit case is a good idea on the cruise. We did the same thing in the bahamas.

NOW TIPS from DH........MAKE SURE and back up everything on your laptop before the trip so that way if it did disappear, you haven't lost anything that was on it.

ALSO, if you are one of these people who have your computer save your passwords on ANY website, make sure and remove them before going that way, if it disappears, they don't have access to alot of info especially private info like bank accounts, etc etc.

If you're really good with computers, set up a separate computer password that locks down the whole computer even BEFORE your computer gets to your main page. This way, they may get the computer but won't be able to do a thing with it unless they are good enough to reprogram the entire motherboard.

Hiding certain folders isn't a bad idea either. For instance, a lot of people save personal info, passwords, bank items etc, under my documents. Look through your computer stuff you've saved. Create one of more files with names that wouldn't interest the average person and name them something frivalous like "house work list" so if a person manages to get into the computer, they wouldn't immediately find things. Folders called, bank accounts, addresses, etc are always going to be where they go first!

If you have any programs like "quicken" or other banking software that helps keep up with all financial matters in your life, PLEASE, protect yourself and either transfer the info to a separate computer at home and remove it from a laptop or make sure it's secured so tightly that no one but a pro could get into it.

Protect personal pictures you may have on there especially if you have kids. Your precious photos of your kids, grandkids could lead a predator straight to them on a ship. They know what they look like then AND they could use the picture to convince crew that they are with them on decks, etc.

The list could go on but I'll stop for now. Don't underestimate these tips. Hubby is really good at what he does and if he tells me to do something with a computer, I do it......lol......and I'm not one of these people that tend to jump just because someone tells me to. :)

mprucha: Thanks for the info.. some things I never really thought about! I have printed your message for future reference..:)

We've taken the DW's laptop the past two cruises, and were able to set it up in our cabin on the Jewel of the Seas.. saved so much time/trouble! Left it sitting on the desk in the cabin with no problems, tho' I suppose hiding it may be something prudent to do..:cool:

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience bringing their laptop on a cruise? I know it won't fit in that safe, but maybe they have larger safes at the pursers?

On the Valor, the WIFI signal is ship wide. We take our Laptop with us all the time and leave it on the coffee table. Here is a picture of where I sat every night and posted Live from the Valor:

Cabin2465a_800x495.jpg

mprucha and Wennfred have great suggestions.

Finally, I would say, since you are getting married and I don't know your situation, check to see or get yourself a homeowner's insurance policy and make sure that your laptop is covered by insurance. If it were to be lost or stolen you want it insured. If it were to happen, and people have posted that they haven't had it stolen yet on a ship, but if it were to happen, file a report at the purser's desk and make sure you get a copy of the report.

Archived