Meclazine Question

dale594

Many years ago on this board, someone recommened using the transderm patches with this modification. The day you board the ship, open the patch packet and take the patch out. Cut it in half and put one half back in the foil packet and close. Now take the left out patch and cut it in half again. Now put a quartered patch behind each ear. Since then I have not gotten sea sick. On a seven day cruise I change patches after 5 days. Perfect Perfect and Perfect. You may experience a little dry mouth but not bad and zero drowsiness. I am so sold on this. I can enjoy my wine and champange without any side effects. You get the transderm patches from your doctor. They come in a box of 4. I usually have the drug store only give me half of the patches so I can pick up the other half the next year.

I take the commercial brand name Bonine.

I take one just before I get on the ship and then one every morning with my coffee and bagel whether I think I will need it or not.

I have never had a problem with sea sickness or drowiness and we have been in some pretty interesting seas.

If the weather is particularly rough, then I take a second one at night.

Has anyone taken meclazine? Do you all take it at night so you don't get drowsy during the day? Are there any other side effects? Dry mouth, etc.?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meclizine is sold OTC as Bonine and is intended to be taken once a day. Start taking it approx. 30 minutes before boarding the ship, and then once a day after that. Some people may experience a little drowsiness and dry mouth, but the side effects are minimal, especially when compared to Dramamine, which is intended to be taken every so many hours t/o the day. People who experience transient vertigo (dizziness without any known cause) often are prescribed meclizine, so it is proven to be effective for motion sickness. All products for motion sickness can have side effects, depends on the individual. Lots of people, including ourselves, use different products with little to no side effects. We take meclizine just for that reason; dramamine knocks us out. We took DH's sister and her husband on their first cruise a couple of years ago and she is very prone to motion sickness so she got the patch from her doctor. Very effective for her, but she noticed after the cruise that there were lots of little things she did not remember. The patch contained scopalomine which is known to induce amnesia, so maybe that was her side effect? Also, she experienced extremely dry mouth. So maybe the patch should be last resort ? or cut in half - have heard of people doing that.

It makes me a little drowsy even though it isn't supposed to. I still take it but only at night before I go to sleep. After about 2-3 days on the cruise I don't need it anymore (unless we hit some rough seas). I basically need it until I get my sea legs.

I've taken meclazine everytime we cruised. Will be going on our 5th this June and have never had a problem. Both with side effects and with getting sea sick. The night before we left I took a meclazine and then while cruising just take one every morning with breakfast. It is amazing since I get carsick and was so worried. I even made it through with our cruise to Alaska where one night I was dreaming of the titianic to wake up to some very rough seas. Alot of rocking and rolling and I didn't even get sick....Meclazine works for me. The only side effect that I get is that I sleep really really sound at night. No too bad!!!

I've taken meclazine everytime we cruised. Will be going on our 5th this June and have never had a problem. Both with side effects and with getting sea sick. The night before we left I took a meclazine and then while cruising just take one every morning with breakfast. It is amazing since I get carsick and was so worried. I even made it through with our cruise to Alaska where one night I was dreaming of the titianic to wake up to some very rough seas. Alot of rocking and rolling and I didn't even get sick....Meclazine works for me. The only side effect that I get is that I sleep really really sound at night. No too bad!!!

The patch works great. DD (who is 19 and very petite <105lb.) turns green @ the slightest motion:( She had to join us last minute on a 9 night cruise (I was thinking I'd have to fly back with her @ first port:( ), but we tried patch. Started the night before with about 1/3rd of patch behind her ear. Switched it every other night. She did great up until about 7th night - seemed to have built a tolerance, so had to go to 1/2 patch for last two nights:D Must have worked for her - she asked me the other week when the next family cruise will be:rolleyes: Just remember, most patches are based on the "norm" for weight (I believe thats around 150 lb.), so you might need more or less.

I'm a pharmacy tech at work right now. this is the info on Meclizine directly from our drug database (epocrates) which doctors use as well.

How should I take meclizine?

Take meclizine exactly as directed by your doctor or follow the directions that accompany the package. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.

water.gifTake each dose with a full glass of water.

The Bonine chewable tablets may be swallowed whole, crushed, or chewed.

For motion sickness, meclizine is usually taken about 1 hour before travel. The dose may be repeated once a day after that for the duration of the journey if necessary.

For vertigo, doses may be taken several times a day. Follow your doctor's instructions.

rt.gifStore meclizine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What should I avoid while taking meclizine?

dizzy.gifUse caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Meclizine may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. If you experience dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, avoid these activities.

noalcohol.gifUse alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking meclizine.

What are the possible side effects of meclizine?

emt.gifStop taking meclizine and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives).

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take meclizine and talk to your doctor if you experience

• drowsiness or dizziness;
  • a dry mouth (may be relieved by sugarless gum, ice chips, saliva substitutes, or other products if bothersome);
  • blurred vision;
  • nervousness;
  • insomnia; or
  • constipation.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about

I hope this all helps.

The patch works great. DD (who is 19 and very petite <105lb.) turns green @ the slightest motion:( She had to join us last minute on a 9 night cruise (I was thinking I'd have to fly back with her @ first port:( ), but we tried patch. Started the night before with about 1/3rd of patch behind her ear. Switched it every other night. She did great up until about 7th night - seemed to have built a tolerance, so had to go to 1/2 patch for last two nights:D Must have worked for her - she asked me the other week when the next family cruise will be:rolleyes: Just remember, most patches are based on the "norm" for weight (I believe thats around 150 lb.), so you might need more or less.

Please don't do this with your kids!!! The manfacturer of the patch does not recommend cutting the patch. It destroys the delivery system of the medication. The result would be all of the medication being delivered at once! Ask your doctor, not us whom you don't even really know.

We used the Meclizine on our 5 day cruise. Started it day before embarking.....took one with full glass of water every night during cruise before bed.....had no side effects....no drowsiness, etc. Of course, everyone reacts differently to meds. So, you might want to call your doctor and research some more for appropriate meds if you are super sensitive to certain type of meds.

I have used Bonine on every cruise and have not had a problem nor been drowsy. My DD did not use it on our last cruise and she had to go to the cabin a couple times because she felt queezy. We told her this trip she didn't have an option she was taking it with us. I start taking it the day before I leave and then 1 every morning.

Deanna

There is the pill form of the patch called Scopace. Patch gives me dermatitis, so I asked my doc for the pill. Nice thing about the pill, I don't have to take it when in port, and it works so much better, at least for me, then the patch, and no skin irritation. I'm totally sold on Scopace pills from now on. :D

Archived