Poll: Do you take your kid's out of school...

Bahamma mamma

I have taken my kids out of school for numerous vacations. We missed the entire last week of school last year and they will miss the week after Thanksgiving again this year. My kids know the value of time together as a family. They also know the value of school. They know they will not be allowed to miss any school work as it will all have to be made up. They have missed a week for Disney and they will miss a week for our cruise. These are oppurtunities that they may not have at another time. Disney for example is important for them to enjoy as a child while there is still that "magic". The cruise is a must do b/c we will be in Florida with family and we only go see them every 4 years or so. We are all going and it will be a vacation to remember. Those things don't happen all of the time. It si a family decision. By the way, my DS got the perfect attendance award last year but was not their to receive it! All because we were honest with the school and they saw it as a valuable experience for the kids!

Of course. What better education is there. Ours have missed at least one week for the last eight years, including high school. Let the teachers know weeks in advance so that they can assign homework if they think it's necessary. I would agree with some of the postings in which our school has trips for three to five days, and three week european exchanges which cause no problems for those who go on them. Just be aware that often there are fewer children on board when you travel in low season. It has never been a problem though, what ever number there are, the kids seem to find friends. Good luck

Of course there is no problem, as what better education is there? We have have taken our three children out of school for at least one week a year for the last eight years. Let the teacher and principal know weeks in advance in case they want to assign homework. I would agree with some of the postings as our highschool has three to five day trips three or four times a year and one three week echange to europe for three weeks once a year and none of the students who go on them have any problems catching up. Just realize that when you travel in off season there are fewer children on the ship, however our kids have never had a problem finding friends. Good luck

I have, am, and will continue to take my child out of school for vacations.

One, some of the work can go with him. There isn't that much that will be missed in the classroom for a week of cultural learning. And yes, taking him to different locations lets him learn history and culture outside of our country. There is no better teaching than life experience, and that is exactly what he is getting.

It's not like he's missing weeks on end to go party.

I mentioned earlier that I am taking my kids out for 6 weeks, we had a Parent/Teacher meet night last night, and I discussed this with all my Sons teachers, they all agreed it was a wonderful opportunity for him and were very supportive. Apart from Math and LOTE (which he will have to do the required work for homework) both his English and Geography/History teachers have asked for a fully comprehensive journal of the entire trip, which they want presented with photographs etc and then he will be required to present this to his class on return. Im glad the teachers here are flexible, and can see the benefits of travel and the education they receive.

I mentioned earlier that I am taking my kids out for 6 weeks, we had a Parent/Teacher meet night last night, and I discussed this with all my Sons teachers, they all agreed it was a wonderful opportunity for him and were very supportive. Apart from Math and LOTE (which he will have to do the required work for homework) both his English and Geography/History teachers have asked for a fully comprehensive journal of the entire trip, which they want presented with photographs etc and then he will be required to present this to his class on return. Im glad the teachers here are flexible, and can see the benefits of travel and the education they receive.

You are lucky... in our school district, your kids would automatically fail :( Believe me... I struggled when I was out for a couple weeks having had surgery (by struggle, I mean we had to fight the school system so they would allow me to graduate)... and they are much stricter now. So consider yourself lucky that you can take him out for 6 weeks... many school systems you could have done it, but he would repeat his grade...I can't see how in the world he will be able to catch up after missing nearly 2 months. Good luck!!! :)

We will be taking our two children (1st grade & 4th grade) out of school for 1 week in May. I don't feel guilty at all about taking them out. They won't be missing much, as school is pretty much winding down by then, and all year end testing has been completed. Besides, they will learn a lot about different cultures, etc. while on our trip. I am especially looking forward to the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon with them, and I know they will be learning more about dolphins, and other sea life, on that excursion than they ever could from a book.

I have taken my kids out of school for numerous vacations. We missed the entire last week of school last year and they will miss the week after Thanksgiving again this year. My kids know the value of time together as a family. They also know the value of school. They know they will not be allowed to miss any school work as it will all have to be made up. They have missed a week for Disney and they will miss a week for our cruise. These are oppurtunities that they may not have at another time. Disney for example is important for them to enjoy as a child while there is still that "magic". The cruise is a must do b/c we will be in Florida with family and we only go see them every 4 years or so. We are all going and it will be a vacation to remember. Those things don't happen all of the time. It si a family decision. By the way, my DS got the perfect attendance award last year but was not their to receive it! All because we were honest with the school and they saw it as a valuable experience for the kids!

Disney, lol. You crack me up with your rationalization. Why not go to Disney during the 180 days they don't have school?

Disney, lol. You crack me up with your rationalization. Why not go to Disney during the 180 days they don't have school?

If you read the post you would see that the poster was in Florida to visit family, something they do only once every four years. It is the parent's choice to pull a child out of school. If they want to do so, that is their right.

I missed a week of elementary school for a family vacation. Somehow I managed to over come this handicap and graduate college.

I know in California that schools are paid $70 for each day the child attends school. If they don't attend, then the school does not get paid.

If I took my 3 children out of school for a week, I would screw the school out of $1,050. So, not only would I be screwing my kids out of their right to an education, I would be screwing the school my kids attend as well. And it would be teaching them that attending school is not that important. And then, I'm sure, the kids are told to lie to the school about why they were absent to cover for the lie the parents told the school as to why the children were absence.

But I suppose self-centered parents don't care.

And there are those... that choose to include cruising 101 as part of their home-school curriculum... :rolleyes:

Actually, they do get paid if you put them on independent study for the week.

You are lucky... in our school district, your kids would automatically fail :( Believe me... I struggled when I was out for a couple weeks having had surgery (by struggle, I mean we had to fight the school system so they would allow me to graduate)... and they are much stricter now. So consider yourself lucky that you can take him out for 6 weeks... many school systems you could have done it, but he would repeat his grade...I can't see how in the world he will be able to catch up after missing nearly 2 months. Good luck!!! :)

Thx GoinCruisin, If our school system was like yours then we just wouldn't be able to go. Or if the kids were stuggling we wouldn't go either. My oldest is already in a enhanced program because he excells in Maths and English, he is probably already 2 -3 years ahead, and our yougest is at least 1 year ahead. Here when they complete the assigned work they are are giving challenge work, to push them ahead. There is no way missing 6 weeks is going to put them behind, I am more then confident in their ability to do the makeup work and still come out with excellent reports.

It bothers me when people start lumping people into groups. Those parents who take their kids out of school are not teaching responsibilty to their children is bull----. That would be like me saying that the people who don't take teir kids out for vacation are not teaching them about the importance of family values, this is also bull----. Each family has to make it's own call. I have taken my 3 kids out of school for one week every other year. we try to cruise every 2 years. I would rather take my kids out of school and vacation as a family then be like alot of people and leave the kids in school as the parents go on vacation.

I would rather take my kids out of school and vacation as a family then be like alot of people and leave the kids in school as the parents go on vacation.

That almsot sounds like you're lumping people who vacation without their kids into groups :rolleyes:

If so, there are 'groups' of parents who believe that quality time as a couple is just as important as quality time as a family.

OK, I'm probably silly to jump into the fray but as a (high school Chemistry) teacher, I'm going to add my 2 cents worth.

I totally understand the value and sometimes the need for taking a vacation during the school year. Many years ago when DH was low on the totem pole, his only vacation choice was during the school year. Our children were only in preschool so taking them out was not even an issue. However, he took them to on a trip and I stayed home. I didn't feel right taking a whole week away from my students for pure fun.

Having said that, I will occassionally take a day here and there for a trip - usually to get to a wedding or some other almost required attendance event. I also have taken a couple of days to do the college visit tours.

My experience as a teacher is skewed by the fact that I teach high school - issues could be different in grade school I realize.

* Asking for work in advance is good in theory. I should be able to tell you what we're doing next week. But don't even think I can tell you what's happening a month from now so you can get a "head start".

* My biggest issue is when kids come back and complain that they don't understand and it's not fair that something is on the test that isn't in the book etc. My emphasis to students who miss for whatever reason - is that if you can do everything and understand everything perfectly by NOT being in my classroom and NOT listening to my (enlightening and wonderful!) explanations and details, then I as a teacher am cheating you and your parents. There has to be some reason I get paid the big bucks to teach and if you can do fine without me, then I'm not doing my job.

* Understand there are potential consequences. Your grade may be lower than it was. You may have to stay after or come before school to make up a lab. I may only be able to meet with you Tuesday for extra help and not Weds that works best in your life.

* I won't deliberately make your life tougher. I'm not going to give you a mean make up test or anything but I also am not going to go way out of my way to make your life better. I will admit that I'll work harder to catch up the kid who had mono and missed school for a week than the student who was cruising.

I hope that makes sense.

Kris

I was just wondering how many people actually take their kid's out of school to get the cheaper rates. If you do, how do their teachers react?

We take our kids out of school for vacations. I know, that sounds awful. Our kids go to private school so they dont give us a hard time. They will get our tuition regardless. I have not taken the kids yet on a cruise with us. Their first will be this summer. We have found that if you are doing Disneyland, etc...that they are less crowded when everyone else is in school.

OK, I'm probably silly to jump into the fray but as a (high school Chemistry) teacher, I'm going to add my 2 cents worth.

I totally understand the value and sometimes the need for taking a vacation during the school year. Many years ago when DH was low on the totem pole, his only vacation choice was during the school year. Our children were only in preschool so taking them out was not even an issue. However, he took them to on a trip and I stayed home. I didn't feel right taking a whole week away from my students for pure fun.

Having said that, I will occassionally take a day here and there for a trip - usually to get to a wedding or some other almost required attendance event. I also have taken a couple of days to do the college visit tours.

My experience as a teacher is skewed by the fact that I teach high school - issues could be different in grade school I realize.

* Asking for work in advance is good in theory. I should be able to tell you what we're doing next week. But don't even think I can tell you what's happening a month from now so you can get a "head start".

* My biggest issue is when kids come back and complain that they don't understand and it's not fair that something is on the test that isn't in the book etc. My emphasis to students who miss for whatever reason - is that if you can do everything and understand everything perfectly by NOT being in my classroom and NOT listening to my (enlightening and wonderful!) explanations and details, then I as a teacher am cheating you and your parents. There has to be some reason I get paid the big bucks to teach and if you can do fine without me, then I'm not doing my job.

* Understand there are potential consequences. Your grade may be lower than it was. You may have to stay after or come before school to make up a lab. I may only be able to meet with you Tuesday for extra help and not Weds that works best in your life.

* I won't deliberately make your life tougher. I'm not going to give you a mean make up test or anything but I also am not going to go way out of my way to make your life better. I will admit that I'll work harder to catch up the kid who had mono and missed school for a week than the student who was cruising.

I hope that makes sense.

Kris

Nough said!!:)

private or public school what does it matter if you take kids on vacation? we all can not go during summer and you better hope that we all do not. or there will not be any room for us to fit into the parks, boats, planes, ect. ect. so relax you do your thing i will do mine. because after i post this it will not matter anymore to me what anyone else thinks because i will not tell you if i took my kids or not (ha,ha,ha)

It is the parent's choice to pull a child out of school. If they want to do so, that is their right.

Actually... it's not the parent's right to pull a child out of school. There are laws to prevent Parents from interfering with their children's education. Getting an education is a right the child has been given by the Government... not a right that a parent has given the child.

Actually... it's not the parent's right to pull a child out of school. There are laws to prevent Parents from interfering with their children's education. Getting an education is a right the child has been given by the Government... not a right that a parent has given the child.

Thank you!!! Finally the voice of reason. Since we're all paying for your kids education, you should at least pretend it's important to them.

Here is my scoop on the subject. Last year we had a family get-together on the Inspiration. Most everyone in our family that went did not have children except my sister and I. (or they are grown and not in school). We priced it out and did not think it would be fair for everyone to pay higher for the cruise and flights just to be able to go the week the kids are out of school. I spoke to DD teacher, and she was just fine with it. Also - becasue of the timing, we missed the week, before the break. This worked out great - becasue once we got back - we had the whole week to do the make-up work.

FYI: We did the same thing this year. :D

A parent has a right to choose the school. The parent can home school a child or send the child to a private school. And the parent does have a right to pull a child out of school. Parents pull kids out of school all the time for vacation, or other reasons. They don't get arrested for it.

Thank you!!! Finally the voice of reason. Since we're all paying for your kids education, you should at least pretend it's important to them.

No one said it was not important. It is just that there other things in life that are more important.

Archived