Poll: Do you take your kid's out of school...

Bahamma mamma

No one said it was not important. It is just that there other things in life that are more important.

I agree there are things that are more important. Teaching your kids that having fun is more important is sending them the wrong message. What will you do when they get their first job and have to work and there's a party on the night they have to work. Suppose they don't show up for work and get fired. Will you tell them, you're right, having fun is more important than work, you should have gone to the party.

Kids can vacation during school breaks and summer vacation. It's not like they don't get half the year off for goodness sake.

I agree there are things that are more important. Teaching your kids that having fun is more important is sending them the wrong message. What will you do when they get their first job and have to work and there's a party on the night they have to work. Suppose they don't show up for work and get fired. Will you tell them, you're right, having fun is more important than work, you should have gone to the party.

Kids can vacation during school breaks and summer vacation. It's not like they don't get half the year off for goodness sake.

Learning can be fun. Are you suggesting that it shouldn't be? Of course not. So don't pretend that the only reason for a family vacation is to have fun. Besides, it is not when the kids are off that determines when is vacation time, it is when the parents can get off from work that determines when vacation time is. If the only time the parents can go is during the school year, then that is when the kids go.

Besides, even laws have exceptions. Just because a balloon rises when a baby lets go of it does not mean the baby expects everything to float. Kids in elementary school understand that rules are rules, but sometimes a more important rule must be followed when there is a conflict. Have you ever heard a judge ask if there is a legal reason for something? Even judges understand that laws have exceptions.

School maybe and is important. But so is the family. There are no wrong messages sent when a child is pulled out of school to attend a family vacation.

I do know a shelter Mom who most of the kids she has in her care is for attendance in school. So they will use the law. I work in an inner city school and I am going to school to get my degree. What I can tell you is there is a movement in most programs for cooperative learning is stress. Are you going to take the whole group with you? I agree with adventureman. We paid for the education you are choosing not use to its full potential. Do I have the right to feel rip off when I pay my tax bill? Will you reemburse me??? I am paying for children's education and I don't have any. Many have said the teachers are fine with this but are you sure???? Or is it because school choice is out there hanging over their heads?? I know it would be at my school. Just my .02 worth.

How old are your kids????

You're blowing this WAY out of proportion. Taking a child out of school for a week doesn't turn them into adults that don't show up for work and get fired. There is a HELL of a lot more to parenting than one weeks vacation with a week of missed school.

The point is that every child is different and every circumstance is different and you can't make a blanket decision and say that it's right for everybody.

I repeat, if I were to do it over again (because I was anal like you 20 years ago, and the knowledge that I was, nauseates me) I'd pull my kids out one week a year with a huge smile on my face. I so regret not doing it.

Have you ever heard a judge ask if there is a legal reason for something? Even judges understand that laws have exceptions.

Yeah... like a Judge would find pulling your kid out of school to go on a cruise a good exception...

Give me a break...:rolleyes:

Once again, your reasoning is right on the mark... Not!

But something happened to me today that kind of relates to the discussion.

In our school system, we're almost 2/3 of the way through the school year. I work at home (providing child care) and the only way my child can get to school is by carpooling with the neighbors up the street (too close to bus, too far to walk, she's 7). The neighbor lady is often running late (late bell at school rings at 8:35, which is just about when the kids arrive at school). It has really annoyed me for most of the school year, but I've had numerous conversations with the office staff and my DD's teacher about the reasoning, and they've been OK with it.

Today I get a letter from the school, stating my DD has been 5-10 minutes late to school on 14 occasions, with 3 sick days. The letter was a warning that should she miss much more school, a state truant officer would become involved. I called the principal and explained the situation, and she wasn't real sympathetic, stating the state (IA) had strict "black and white laws" as to how much time a child is to be spending in school. I'm hoping the neighbor lady gets her act in gear and sets her darn alarm clock 10 minutes earlier so we both can avoid the potential mess...otherwise I'll be dragging 6 kids out to my vehicle, one by one (all under 3 years old), to trek her to school every day. :rolleyes:

Prior to this occurance, I could have gone either way on this thread. And I do realize each state is different. But how are the parents treated that choose to take their kids out of school for an entire week treated? (I'm wondering to myself). I don't think it's quite fair.

I'm sure these parents could give a rats butt what the school thinks... they are too busy thinking about themselves...

Since you don't personally know all the people who take their kids out of school, and you don't know their circusmstances, OR their kids, I think that's really harsh.

Again, people making blanket statements....:rolleyes:

OK, I'm probably silly to jump into the fray but as a (high school Chemistry) teacher, I'm going to add my 2 cents worth.

I totally understand the value and sometimes the need for taking a vacation during the school year. Many years ago when DH was low on the totem pole, his only vacation choice was during the school year. Our children were only in preschool so taking them out was not even an issue. However, he took them to on a trip and I stayed home. I didn't feel right taking a whole week away from my students for pure fun.

Having said that, I will occassionally take a day here and there for a trip - usually to get to a wedding or some other almost required attendance event. I also have taken a couple of days to do the college visit tours.

My experience as a teacher is skewed by the fact that I teach high school - issues could be different in grade school I realize.

* Asking for work in advance is good in theory. I should be able to tell you what we're doing next week. But don't even think I can tell you what's happening a month from now so you can get a "head start".

* My biggest issue is when kids come back and complain that they don't understand and it's not fair that something is on the test that isn't in the book etc. My emphasis to students who miss for whatever reason - is that if you can do everything and understand everything perfectly by NOT being in my classroom and NOT listening to my (enlightening and wonderful!) explanations and details, then I as a teacher am cheating you and your parents. There has to be some reason I get paid the big bucks to teach and if you can do fine without me, then I'm not doing my job.

* Understand there are potential consequences. Your grade may be lower than it was. You may have to stay after or come before school to make up a lab. I may only be able to meet with you Tuesday for extra help and not Weds that works best in your life.

* I won't deliberately make your life tougher. I'm not going to give you a mean make up test or anything but I also am not going to go way out of my way to make your life better. I will admit that I'll work harder to catch up the kid who had mono and missed school for a week than the student who was cruising.

I hope that makes sense.

Kris

Just thought this was worth reading again...and again...

Yeah... like a Judge would find pulling your kid out of school to go on a cruise a good exception...

Give me a break...:rolleyes:

Once again, your reasoning is right on the mark... Not!

Can you even read? The example was that even LAWS have exceptions, not that a judge would find pulling a child out of school to be a legal exception.

Put your glasses on, and try again.

I'm sure these parents could give a rats butt what the school thinks... they are too busy thinking about themselves...

Maybe they're teaching their kids not to be so judgmental about others.

We always talk to the teachers before pulling our kids out for a week. In fact, it's pretty common in our schools and nothing out of the ordinary. If the school and other parents frowned upon it, we wouldn't do it. We also wouldn't do it if our kids struggled in school. Down the road, I won't do it when the kids are in higher grades (they're in first and third right now). Each year with me will be a different decision and everything, including how my kids are doing in school, what grade they're in, my availability, crowds, and yes, even price are factors.

Edit - I agree with the post by the chemistry teacher. When my kids are in HS and learning chemistry, biology, phsyics, and calculus, forget it. They won't be pulled out a week. For now, with addition, reading, multiplication, division, etc, we're okay taking them out.

Actually... it's not the parent's right to pull a child out of school. There are laws to prevent Parents from interfering with their children's education. Getting an education is a right the child has been given by the Government... not a right that a parent has given the child.

Except for when your child's high school education is so pathetic, you wind up pulling them out to homeschool them (thus giving them a chance at being competitive in life). :mad:

That being said, we have no problem taking our remaining public (middle) school child out of school for the occasional vacation. We simply make sure to be in agreement with her teachers' expectations (making up assignments, tests, etc). :)

I wouldn't take mine out, but that's just me personally. THANKFULLY, though, I don't really have to worry about it here because we have a fall break that fall right in Oct. I did it last year thinking there wouldn't be too many kids. Well, apparently, fall break is catching on because there were tons of kids everywhere. My son even hung out with someone from our city while there (talk about small world). I love the concept of year round schooling, which is what we're really getting into, because they aren't going any more days, but we get long Christmas breaks, Thanksgiving breaks, a fall, winter, and spring break.

Thank you!!! Finally the voice of reason. Since we're all paying for your kids education, you should at least pretend it's important to them.

Ok, hold up....And I dont mean for this to come off defensive or snippy....Education is just as important to the parents that do take their kids out of school for vacation as it is to those that dont. The school doesnt hassle me for two reasons...one, my kids are well above average. They work hard for their great grades. We expect it. They work on all the work they will miss before we even leave town. Second, they go to private and arnt going to kick us out since they need our money. as far as government rules...anyone is welcome to call CPS if they for one minute think that my kids are not properly cared for. Any agency will find that they are happy, well ajusted, well cared for (and possibly spoiled) but above the curve educationally.

Enough said!

I wouldn't take mine out, but that's just me personally. THANKFULLY, though, I don't really have to worry about it here because we have a fall break that fall right in Oct. I did it last year thinking there wouldn't be too many kids. Well, apparently, fall break is catching on because there were tons of kids everywhere. My son even hung out with someone from our city while there (talk about small world). I love the concept of year round schooling, which is what we're really getting into, because they aren't going any more days, but we get long Christmas breaks, Thanksgiving breaks, a fall, winter, and spring break.

I like the year round school concept also. It eliminates the traffic jam of kids during the summer and it allows each school to handle 25% more students (since 25% are off track at any one time). It would also eliminate the need to take the children out of school during school time. So everyone wins. Lets hope this catches on.

I know in California that schools are paid $70 for each day the child attends school. If they don't attend, then the school does not get paid.

If I took my 3 children out of school for a week, I would screw the school out of $1,050.

Recalling how you like to post self serving statistics without any basis for the numbers that you pull out of thin air, I thought I would do a little checking on this one.

From the following link we learn that there are about 6,000,000 students enrolled in the California public schools ...

http://www.californiaschoolfinance.org/FinanceSystem/TheBasics/tabid/84/Default.aspx

The first reality of school finance in California is the sheer size and diversity of the state. The school finance system pays for the education of more than 6 million students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

From the following link (California Governor's Budget 2007-2008) we learn that $45,121,386,000 has been budgeted (proposed) for K through 12 education.

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/agencies.html

And by simple math we learn that this works out to about $41.78 per student per day.

So I guess your kids are not worth as much as you though they were. :rolleyes:

Perhaps for your next vacation you should attend school. The school would pick up a little extra money and you might learn how to read.

I think it's selfish and not teaching the kids much about responsibilty and how important schooling is. The kids over here get so much vacation time during the year that it should not even be a consideration. And don't tell me about writing reports and stuff, the kids get enough time of take them then.

I think it's narrow minded of you to assume everyone gets a vacation when they want one.

My vacation weeks are picked going down a seniority list and it was 10 yrs before I was able to get a summer or holiday vacation. I have never taken my child out of school for a cruise (would have if that was the vacation I wanted) but yanked him for a trip to DisneyWorld when he was 9 and I had given up hope of ever getting a decent week off.

Liz

I think it's narrow minded of you to assume everyone gets a vacation when they want one. ....

Liz

Liz if I could suggest one change to your post. "I think it's narrow minded of you to assume." The posts on this thread show an incredible about of narrow mindedness and gross assumtions that include but are not limited to vacations and the time that people are allowed to take off. -- It's very easy for the king/queen to say (after being told the people don't have bread) -- let them eat cake. People who get vacation whenever they want -- don't always appreciate that some people can't take off whenever -- they really are told when to take their vacations. Other posts here (and I am as guilty as everyone else) are very egocentric and will not allow others to have different opinions.

I check into this post now just for laughs... Every so often though, someone (like you) posts something worthwhile....

Listen everyone, we are talking 5 days missed from a school year. 5 days is not going to make or break your childs grades. If your child has good grades, they will continue to get good grades even after the vacation. If your child is getting bad grades, they will still get bad grades even with the vacation. My child will be entering 9th grade in August and we plan a November cruise. She is an average student and she will still be an average student when we return. She'll have all her work completed when she goes back to school. Sometimes, we can get the school work done better and more concentrated than if she was in school. There is so much wasted time in school.

I have absolutely no problem taken my child out for only "5 days"

How about this:

My kids are struggling just to get a passing grade. The teachers all role their eyes at me when I pull my children out so they can go to camp ocean all day and night. Bring school work...HECK NO...we are on vacation. My kids run all over the ship driving the ship security crazy while I gamble their college education on roulette. If we aren't on the "boat" we are sitting on a beach. However they did gain something’s on our cruises. Such as weight, bad cholesterol and the knowledge of how to stiff the staff out of tips. And YES, we wear shorts, flip flops, and tank tops in the dining room!!

How come we don't see these parents posting?? We all know they exist!!

Listen everyone, we are talking 5 days missed from a school year. 5 days is not going to make or break your childs grades.

And of course there was one who was pulling her child out for 6 weeks... so that's 30 days... so that's 17% of the school year. I don't think a week is going to make or break a child that can handle it (high school though, would be tough), but 6 weeks, I don't care how bright your child is, it's going to be tough... in MANY school systems, the child would have to make up the year by going to summer school or repeating the grade... regardless of how their grades were... believe me, it nearly happened to me, but I wasn't off on vacation...

I have no problem taking my kids out of school. I took them out in Oct.

for 5 days. I write a note a month in advance, in order for our trip

to be excused. The teachers always send their work home before we

leave, so they do not get behind, My children are in 2nd and 6th grade.

Our school system is very understanding about this. My sons teacher

is out this week , she and her family are gone to Disney World:)

You have it right. My child is struggling now and were not on vacation. I always, always get the work before we leave from all the teachers, we try to get as much done as possible before we leave for the cruise. I make it a rule that we block out time in the day to do work.

Were not talking about a 6 week period on this blog. Were talking a normal one week vacation, 5 school days. It will not, I repeat will not have your child flunk out of school. Just be a responsible parent.

From the following link we learn that there are about 6,000,000 students enrolled in the California public schools ...

http://www.californiaschoolfinance.org/FinanceSystem/TheBasics/tabid/84/Default.aspx

From the following link (California Governor's Budget 2007-2008) we learn that $45,121,386,000 has been budgeted (proposed) for K through 12 education.

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/agencies.html

And by simple math we learn that this works out to about $41.78 per student per day.

So I guess your kids are not worth as much as you though they were. :rolleyes:

Perhaps for your next vacation you should attend school. The school would pick up a little extra money and you might learn how to read.

Cruzer... Once again, you show you are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

While you were able to reference California's portion of the Education budget, you left out a lot of the other funding sources... but I would expect nothing less from you.

In short, Funding for California public schools comes from the state, local property taxes, the federal government, the California State Lottery, and local miscellaneous sources such as lease income, interest, and donations.

But you did manage to do the mathematics correctly in determining the per student cost that is derived from California's budget alone. Bravo!

California's portion of the total school budget only accounts for a bit less than 60% of the school funding.

As I write this, we are on a ski vacation in Wyoming and my 8 year old daughter is finishing up her homework for the week, one day early. My son has finished his classwork and continues to write in his journal daily about his trip, complete with illustration and photo assignments. He is 6. They have kept up with their daily reading and my little guy even read two chapter books on the the flight out. One of his assignments is to bring back a rock sample to compare with the rocks in Florida (their current study session). Upon her return,my daughter is to make an oral presentation to her class of how Wyoming is different from Florida.

I don't see the downside here. Just my humble opinion.

Archived