Contacting Princess via e mail re: being charged for drinks never ordered?

Jevey

Yes, this is a small amount involved for us. However, if they apply this tactic to eveyone then this adds up to a mighty profit for them!

I have found the address to write to, but no e-mail addy. Please, if anyone out there has encountererd the same problem, I would welcome their input and outcome.

Many thanks!

Maybe it's different on Princess ships, but from a merchant point of view, all disputes will probably need to be in writing. Also, when were the charges made to your account? Many "credit accounts" like the ones used on ships have a 90 limit for filing claims or disputes.

-Case

I am sorry that this happened to you but during the cruise we always request a statement of charges up to that day from the purser's desk. If we find an entry that we did not order we then go to the desk and they will look it up. This happened to us once, they checked the receipts and we were in error. We did order whatever we thought we did not. But we always check a few times on a cruise not until we get home.

Marilyn

Thank you kindly for your input. Being one's own accountant for every purchase only adds stress to what should be a stress free holiday. We tip well, over and above what is required. This shall only now for our cabin steward, not the bar tenders!

Anyone have a direct point of contact for such compalints please? Many thanks in advance.

I am sorry that this happened to you but during the cruise we always request a statement of charges up to that day from the purser's desk. If we find an entry that we did not order we then go to the desk and they will look it up. This happened to us once, they checked the receipts and we were in error. We did order whatever we thought we did not. But we always check a few times on a cruise not until we get home.

Marilyn

Our experience exactly. On all our Princess cruises they give us a draft cabin billout periodically without us even asking for it. Any problems are immediately corrected. Very rarely do we order from a bar, but when we do, I thought that the gratuity was automatically cranked in for the barkeep. Regardless, I have some problem here with the original post. They got nicked after the cruise was over for some drinks that they did not order. Okay, I understand all that, and as stated, if they had received a draft bill a little earlier they would have picked up on it before the cruise was over. However, as a result of all of this, they indicate that they will not provide a gratuity henceforth for the bar tenders but will for the cabin steward? My question, how come the steward gets rewarded yet the poor bar guy gets screwed over because somebody in bookkeeping goofed?

All receive tips automatically which I think is just and fair. We just tip over and above this when the service is outstanding. This being so, one would think the bartenders would be more dilligent as to what one is ordering and paying for. Also a few times the drinks came without the correct ingredients, which was brought to their attention with no offer of rectifying it. Little things I know...but attention to detail should be an intricate part of their jobs.

Thanks for all your input.

The Princess website has information how to contact them. I’m sure Princess would be interested in your general comments. Rectifying specific charges might be difficult for the land based office – that should have been done on the ship where the records are kept.

I have a nice stack of receipts for each and every Bombay Sapphire and tonic that I consumed last week on The Grand. I went to the Purser's desk and got a printout of my account Thursday evening and thought that I had found an erroneous bar charge that was made immediately after boarding for $55.90; but before I made an ass of myself I realized that it was for my partner and my soda stickers for the week.:eek: :eek:

Mike:)

We sail frequently with Princess and only once did we have an over-charge... which was a few years ago. I didn't catch it until we had returned home and matched our receipts (which we keep religiously in a legal size envelope we bring from home) with the onboard charges printout. I called Princess directly, was put through to customer service, explained the over-charge (about $25) and that I had all the ship receipts. I added, that I could fax them the receipts if they needed them. I was told that wouldn't be necessary, that I would be receiving a credit on my credit card (which I did) in the amount of the over-charge. It was easy... no letter sent, only one phone call made!

With the hundreds of passengers charging items, I think Princess does a pretty decent job of getting it right most of the time.

Sandy

I had a $3.25 bottle of water plus 15% gratutity charged to me and like the above, I went to the Pursor's Desk and they looked it up. The signature was not mine. I use my middle initial and my last name was miss-spelled. No one knows who would have forged my name to a charge slip for a bottle of water.

But I simply had it taken care of while I was still on the ship. Of course you are supposed to be your own accountant, to suppose otherwise is to assume no mistakes will ever occur in your life.

Seems to me you could do it on the phone and get it removed later a lot easier than writing to them? Or is it already fixed and you just want to write later on to let them know it happened?

I must add that we were charged (then automatically reimbursed )for two tours we never signed up for. Now I understnd why there was a long line at the purser's desk on the last day! I shall be most hawk like in the future, especially as we had tips that varied from 15 to 18%. Think this has anything to do with our last name being Smith? *S*

Thats another good reason for a highlighter. Before you retire every night get a printout, order a club sandwich from room service and check all your reciepts. Highlight every night as you check it off put the number of the charge such as 1, 2 or 3 depending how it is listed on your bills and coordinate with your charges. It takes no time at all. I hate looking at my bills at home and the last thing I want to do is check reciepts when I get home from a wonderful cruise and think OMG they charged me for an extra pina colada:eek:

Thank you kindly for your input. Being one's own accountant for every purchase only adds stress to what should be a stress free holiday. We tip well, over and above what is required. This shall only now for our cabin steward, not the bar tenders! quote]

Keeping tab of what you spend is stressful only if you don't keep track of it. Don't you look at receipts when you are in restaurants, and don't you check hotel bills, and don't you balance your checking account? Your money, your responsibility. Mistakes happen...no one would put their jobs in jeopardy by over charging on purpose.

On Carnival Trumiph we were charged $900 (bar bill)on our account. It took 3 days for the purser desk to remove the charges. We were not happy and asked them them to show us our signatures for the charges. It was a long 3 days and undue stress.

I shall be most hawk like in the future, especially as we had tips that varied from 15 to 18%.
The 15% tip is automatically calculated by the register...and if it was wrong, it would be wrong all the time, every time. Is that what happened?

This also happened to us on our recent Grand Princess cruise. If you booked through a Travel Agent, they should contact Princess for you. Our signatures were forged and one night, we weren't even at the bar. Our Travel agent is taking good care of us on this. Got letter back from Princess that was very upsetting. We will never cruise with Princess again. 2 out of 4 of us were gold and platnium member if that tells you anything. Standards have changed.

I've been charged, in error, on three different cruise lines. Once for a tour that was not ours, and twice for bottles of wine, which were not ours. Once the cruise lines investigated the charges and found that they were in fact erroneous, all charges were removed. No problem. Mistakes do happen. Good luck!!

Thank you kindly for your input. Being one's own accountant for every purchase only adds stress to what should be a stress free holiday.

It is causing more stress NOW having to deal with it. You could have solved it in 5 minutes on the ship if you just asked for a printout of your expenses the day before disembarkation.

What I do wish is that Princess would come into the 21st century and allow passengers to review their shipboard account on the t.v. screen in their cabins, like other lines do.

Byjam,

Not always so....drinks from around the pool were hand written, and one said 18% grautuity!

I do feel this is occurring for too many people for it just to accidental. Years ago we did track our bills more carefully. As there was never a problem ( different cruise line) we assumed (and one knows what that does) this would be the same with Princess.

We will never cruise with Princess again. 2 out of 4 of us were gold and platnium member if that tells you anything.

What does that tell me? Please enlighten me as most people who come on this board and state they are blah, blah, blah status are in fact continuing to cruise Princess.

If your experienced cruisers then you know to check your bill before you disembark the ship and resolve the issue with the Purser's desk.

PTC

Archived