Cell Phones On Crown Princess

DAVIDB1123

Will someone PLEASE!!! Tell me whether or not Cell Phone Service is AVAILABLE on the CROWN PRINCESS???

I know that MANY Princess loyals are against the use of Cell Phones at sea...but found it very convenient on RCCL.

I would appreciate if I could get a DEFINITIVE ANSWER one way or the other...we will be leaving on the Crown in 3 weeks

Thanks!

In general, I assume that if you're in range of a cell tower from your provider you'll have service? Our phones did not work on the Diamond last year, nor on the Paradise in the Eastern Caribbean or on the Grandure to Cozumel. As Puerto Rico and the USVI's are part of the U.S. I can see how Verizon, Sprint or Alltel would work in port there, but not out to sea. I'm sorry - I know this is not much help, but I've never had any success once we were out of sight of (U.S.) land...

Good luck and I hope you can get a better answer than this !

Brendan

I cruised the Crown in Oct last year and I have Cingular. I was able to get a signal in all of our ports, but they were roaming charges on my bill, so it turned out to be more expensive than I thought. But the point was, I had a good signal!

Happy Crusin!:)

I cruised the Crown in Oct last year and I have Cingular. I was able to get a signal in all of our ports, but they were roaming charges on my bill, so it turned out to be more expensive than I thought. But the point was, I had a good signal!

Happy Crusin!:)

Gee, I also have Cingular. We had great reception in our ports and when we left NYC for a few hours after we were underway. I checked before leaving with Cingular and they told me there would be no roaming charges as those ports were included in my network. My bill had no roaming charges on it for that period...so it worked our great. Since my Oct. cruise, I read that Princess ships will now have cell reception on board but only in certain areas of the ship as not to disturb other passengers. If you do a search, you may find the thread..or just check the news section on the Princess site.

I have Cingular as well, and a pretty good quad band GSM phone. Here is my summary from Crown's Southern itinerary last month.

All the places we visited, and PR of course, had GSM coverage. Price is quite expensive (not sat-phone expensive, but expensive enough to not warrant anything other than emergency calls).

Roaming charges do apply, unless you have some super-plan. Figure $1.50 per minute to be safe. Puerto Rico was half of that.

Data service may or may not work.

For the sea day, you pass close enough to some islands that if you know where to go, you get coverage in the evening (lots of Puerto Rican pax did, probably more aware of the geography).

I also have Cingular, and think I remember reading somewhere that Cingular participated in what is called Celllular at Sea...which means that you would be able to use your phone on board. I have to look into this alittle more, I hoping that we can use them in place of walkie talkies just to keep in touch with eachother on the ship. I'm also hoping for free roaming...Is that too much to ask?? lol:D

I have used the towers on ships several times to check my voice mail. I have Cingular, who is the parent company behind the "Cellular At Sea" company. There is no free roaming when it comes to using the ships towers, it is $2.49 a minute... so I check my voice mail quickly!

Like I posted previously, though, the towers are only on Grand Princess so far. RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival have them on pretty much every ship so far, or at least in the installation phase.

Will someone PLEASE!!! Tell me whether or not Cell Phone Service is AVAILABLE on the CROWN PRINCESS???

I know that MANY Princess loyals are against the use of Cell Phones at sea...but found it very convenient on RCCL.

I would appreciate if I could get a DEFINITIVE ANSWER one way or the other...we will be leaving on the Crown in 3 weeks

Thanks!

We have Sprint and found that Barbados, St, Marteen and St. Thomas had reception...No service on the OPEN SEAS...But really why would you want cell service..........It is a time to reflect and relax.....The REAL WORLD will still be there waiting for you......Enjoy your cruise.......we did, because even though we have very stressful lives...it was great to get away....and leave the world for a few days.....how hard it is to leave the electronics it is really harder to come back to the real world again...wishing that we were still out cruising and not caring about anything but the seas and how the weather will be.......

We were on the Crown 11/11 to 11/18 and we have I Wireless cell service. We were able to use our phones from PR, St. Thomas, Antigua and St. Kitts. No service in Bonaire. Previous cruises we have had service in Barbados too. We have never been charged roaming fees and we do not have a international plan. Our friends traveling with us have Nextel and had no service the entire cruise. I guess we were just lucky.

Archived