Need advice - Vancouver to Victoria

ILikeShips

HI: We are thinking of extending our postcruise stay in Vancouver and wondering what is the best way to get to Victoria? This will be our first time navigating this part of the country and looking forward to doing all we can.

Thanks in advance for any info!

• 2 weeks later...

The Cruise Terminal should have connections to buses that leave downtown Vancouver for Victoria. If not, I know that there is a regular bus that goes from the terminal to the ferry terminal. Greyhound and PCL are two bus lines that go to Victoria.

I hope this helps.

Nancy

As Nancy points out you can go by bus from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria. When you get to Victoria there are all kinds of tours and walking the town is easy.

If you are staying in Vancouver when you get back from your cruise....you can do the bus too and just make it a one day trip. Or you can rent a car, because it is easy to find your way around both in Vancouver and Victoria. You just head out to the ferry terminal and hop on...it is a wonderful trip and not that expensive.

You can also fly by float plane...harbour to harbour...or jet-helicopter from downtown to downtown. Kind of expensive but gets you there and back in a hurry leaving you time to really explore Victoria.

Hope this helps. If you need more just ask.

Tom:)

We went to Vancouver and Victoria on our honeymoon many years ago. We had a rental car and took the ferry to Victoria. We stayed at the Swan Hotel in downtown Victoria. We highly recommend the Swan. Get a loft suite. It is 1 block away from the water and it has its own microbrewery. Don't forget to go to Butchart Gardens.

If it were me, I would rent a car in Vancouver and drive myself over to the Island. It is a very easy drive and with your own car you can set your agenda. Just be sure to check with BC Ferries to ensure you don't get caught in a ferry line up http://www.bcferries.com.

there are lots of things to do and see in Victoria. Swan's was nice a few years ago, but it has gone a little downtown. My fav is the Grand Pacific Hotel, it is right on the inner harbour and awesomely centrally located.

Happy sails,

Hi there, The bus connection might be a sensible and cost attractive option. If taking a vehicle on the ferry, expect to pay about $110 Cdn. each way for two passengers and a car between Twassen, B.C. (Just south of Vancouver and Vcr. International Airport), to Swartz Bay, B.C. Ferries usually depart on the hour. The one and one-half hour ferry ride, once it crosses the Georgia Strait and enters the Gulf Islands region, is scenic and exceptionally beautiful. It is a very fine way to come on to Vancouver Island. Another option is to arrange bus transfer from the ship terminal to the airport. Air Canada (although I am loathe to recommend them) has numerous regular flights between Vancouver and Victoria (flight time 15-20 minutes at 4000'). Car rentals can easily be arranged at the Victoria Airport or prearranged as part of your overall trip planning. The Victoria Airport and Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal are both located at the northern tip of the Saanich Peninsula about 30 minutes north of the City of Victoria. Highway 17, The Patricia Bay Hwy, is a well maintained direct route into the city center. What time of year would you visit? Spring and summer a particularly fine times to holiday here. It is now early March, the first of the deciduous trees and bulbs are in full flower. Nice.

Beacon Hill Park and The Royal British Columbia Museum, both adjacent to the city center, are worth a visit. The lovely Buchart Gardens are a must see. They are a short distance out of town in the neighboring municipality of Brentwood Bay and are easily reached by bus. There are numerous intriguing shops all over Victoria's downtown area. One particularly interesting cluster is Antiques Row on Yates Street (the three blocks between Wharf Street and Blanshard Street). You would be well advised to avoid the touristy cluster of kitsch shops on Government Street near the inner harbor area. Victoria's historical Chinatown area (Fisgard St. & Store St.), is full of engaging shopping and restaurants. You'll find numerous carefully renovated and restored buildings; some with a modern companion building. There are numerous links to be explored if you Google: Victoria Tourism. It worth the trip. kind regards, Wills, the Tuxedo Man

If it were me, I would rent a car in Vancouver and drive myself over to the Island. It is a very easy drive and with your own car you can set your agenda. Just be sure to check with BC Ferries to ensure you don't get caught in a ferry line up http://www.bcferries.com.

there are lots of things to do and see in Victoria. Swan's was nice a few years ago, but it has gone a little downtown. My fav is the Grand Pacific Hotel, it is right on the inner harbour and awesomely centrally located.

Happy sails,

We stay at the Coast. Great small hotel, good prices, and a nice walk along the harbour.

Viv

In the interest of accuracy, I offer a correction on the cost of the ferry trip (two people plus vehicle) I quoted in my above post. It should come out to slightly under $65. Cdn. for each direction. I inadvertantly entered the approximate cost for a round trip.

Archived