Princess Cancels Stop in Colon for Coral Princess

oledave

I was told recently by a Princess rep that they've cancelled the stop in Colon for 10-day RT's like ours on 2/26/2005 from Fort Lauderdale. This will be effective after some date prior to our cruise for all such cruises. The rep was unsure about excursions availability and where/when you would leave and return to the ship by tender. We are very interested in the Ocean-to-Ocean boat trip, since our cruise only goes as far as Gatun Lake.

I would appreciate any info on this issue. Has anyone else heard of this? Does anyone know about the revised schedule of excursions and whether the boat trip will be available on cruises like ours?

Thanks,

Oledave

We'd really like to know this also because we have a December Coral cruise booked. When I called Princess, the rep stated there would be no port stops at all and the ship would not enter the locks. This seems wrong, so am hoping the rep was new...

I, too, have been wondering about the shore excursions because they aren't up for any of the P.C. cruises, even the full transit one that starts this month! Very strange!

Our TA checked with Princess and they told her that the Coral Princess will NOT enter the canal locks and go to Gatun Lake.

We don't know what to do now because the whole reason for this particular cruise was to see the Panama Canal. Not sure how this could be called a Panama Canal cruise if the Coral just sails around the country of Panama.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks.

Guest THE EDS

I posted on the Princess boards but unfortunately I am only getting generalities, I am booked 12/10 on the Coral the ininerary #6441 has been changed it is no longer stopping at Colon and if you check day 5 it no longer states Gatun Lake this is on the Princess website, have called Princess several times have been on hold so long the cruise will be over before I reach a rep would really like some help before I make my final payment. If we will not be sailing into Gatun Lake I will cancel I can still get full refund but not after final payment HELP

THE EDS

Eds,

We're in the same boat as you. Only booked the higher priced Panama Canal cruise so that we could experience going through the locks. DH is very interested in this. If we don't get to go through the Panama Canal locks but merely cruise around the country of Panama, it isn't worth the extra mula.

So, try this and see what answers you get from Princess. Call them 2 (or more) times. On one call, be anonymous and ask for the details on a canal RT cruise. On another call, give your booking number and ask the same questions. Is there any difference in the answers you receive?

I did just as catdancer's suggested. In both cases I was told that on the partial transit cruises on the Coral Princess that the ship must go through the first set of locks into Gatun Lake in order to turn it around. They said they would not change this itinerary as it is the feature of this cruise. After the ship comes back through the locks it proceeds to Colon where it makes a 3 hour port stop in order to pick up those passengers that have booked shore excursions.

Thanks catdancers for the excellent suggestion. We are on the Nov 20-30 (Thanksgiving) cruise. Our final payment is due in three weeks. We too would not be taking the trip unless we made a partial transit.

Debbie

Wow, I hope we all make it into Gatun lake. Last year on the Island an Coral Princess, the ship proceeded through the Gatun locks around 6 in the morning into Gatun Lake, disembarked some passengers, sat for awhile, then proceeded back through Gatun locks. It then went to Colon and docked, letting all passengers off to shop in an area right on the dock. This provided an opportunity to pick up the other passengers from their excursions.

However, the Grand Princess class ships do not go through the Canal. Instead, they dock in Panama and let people off for shore excursions to see the canal.

Hope this helps. I personally enjoyed going through the lock and would probably not take the trip if I did not get to do so.

Archived