Has anyone heard from someone on the Rhapsody this week?

dixie54

This was our first voyage on the Rhapsody, and the ship overall is beautiful. No wonder her "regulars" are sad to see her go. The staff and crew were outstanding, the decor was tasteful, the entertainment was terrific. The lounge entertainers, in particular the Rosario Strings, were all just out of this world. We had a fun, relaxing cruise.

Having said that, the ship just wasn't ready.

This was poor management, (planning AND execution.) Why would you drydock a ship, and PLAN to release it when it was no where near finished? That isn't fair to the guests. Lots of things were getting finished by the end of the second week, but why would you want to alienate your first two week's post drydock customers?

Maddle

I agree with others who traveled last week, although we personally encountered more problems as Maddle is aware.

1. Frist, we were in an OS and there was no sewage smell.

2. Our OS had a piece of plywood over a 3 sq. ft. section of the marble floor that was either damaged, or had been repaired and covered to protect it. Tacky at best.

3. The OS was supposed to have a DVD player. One of many reasons I booked the OS. Now you are probably asking why is that so important. My Mother, who is celebrating her birthday this month, uses a walker and quite often (3 times during the cruise) will retire to the suite in the late afternoon and watch a movie. Our suite attendant was Dwight Prentice who was great. After bringing the lack of a DVD player to his attention on the day of departure (BTW, the loose cables were there but no DVD player) he told us that the DVD player had been stolen and that he would try to get a replacement. On the second full day of the cruise, still no DVD player and I went to the pursers desk in the morning and asked that they get one at best buy in KW if necessary. That afternoon I stopped back by the purser’s desk to inquire as to the status and they said there was no note in my record. The purser on duty said he would have the one from his cabin taken to our suite for our use and it would be done by 4 PM. I thought that was very nice. 6 PM no DVD player. Back to pursers office for round 4 which resulted in DVD player in our room within a half hour.

4. Due to my mothers mobility issues and always having to use the elevators and handicapped restrooms, there were numerous issues encountered in both of these areas.

Bathrooms... On Tuesday we had to venture to 4 different decks to find a handicap accessible bathroom that was working. This is easy for you and me, but not for someone who uses a walker and moves very slowly. On 4 separate occasions the handicap restroom on deck 9 by the Windjammer was out of service. On one occasion from 9 AM until well after 4 PM despite my calling the purser's office 3 times requesting maintenance.

Elevators... Out of the 2 glass elevators that service the Viking crown lounge, only one was working as the other one was out of service the whole week. The one that was working would not stop at deck 8, the button was always lit but it never stopped there. Being in an OS on deck 8 that caused problems. Also regarding the Centrum elevators the elevator call buttons on all deck locate on the port side would not stay on. You had to walk over to the starboard side buttons or keep your finger on the port side button. The last couple days 1 of the 3 forward elevators (servicing the Windjammer and theatre) were out of service.

In addition there was some trim framework missing on the exterior Plexiglas walls on deck ten (starboard side near fitness center). Also quite a few light fixtures missing with loose taped up wiring at about waist level on same deck (this would be a big code violation in most US jurisdictions).

So while there were some annoying things, some of which impacted us greatly (inoperable bathrooms), we still had a great cruise, warm weather and the service by the front line staff was stellar. There are some management and maintenance issues that need to be addressed. And support of the front line staff failed in a couple areas. While the Windjammer was open they still had some finishing touches to complete.

There were reports of some cabins being without water on several occasions. That might be related to the leaks that both Maddle and I experienced (from above). Maddle on 3 occasions in their bathroom, and we experienced it on 1 occasion in the bedroom. Maintenance staff was very responsive in our case, leaving us note and volunteering to dry clean (?) shoes that got wet. We just let them air dry.

I think if they work hard they should have most of these issues taken care of in a few weeks.

BTW, other than the shows usually starting late, they were excellent.

Fam-Cruise and Maddie I am so sorry your cruise left you dissapointed. We leave for our very first cruise on March 25 on the Rhapsody, and after reading all the threads post drydock I'm really worried it won't be the grand ship I have read so much about. I have such high expectations and I feel like I might be in for a let down now. I don't understand why they do a dry dock and put back in service when quite obviously she was not ready, don't they think this bad experience will turn customers away? I know its all about the money but I feel they are losing repeat customers. I know for myself this trip we have been saving up for a long time. I thought RCI would value their customers more. It does seem after each cruise the problems are getting fewer, but customers should not have to suffer after a dry dock. I'm hoping that by our trip she is back to her grand self I have heard so much about, but its too bad good people have had to suffer prior to ours. I wonder if things will be working by 3-25? Did you try contacting RCI with your complaints? But it seems since they only gave the first cruisers after dry dock $20 compensation which in my opinion is an insult, your not going to have much luck either. Do you by chance have any pictures you can share? I am going to think positive and just be grateful that I am able to go on a cruise :) I could still be in cold Michigan right!!

Lake Erie Boaters - Things will improve this week, and more in the coming weeks so I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure RCI wants to get this ship in shape ASAP. Plan on enjoying a nice cruise and I am sure everything will be fine.

packedandready - WJ sandwiches include BBQ Beef on sesame wheet roll, Turkey on white roll, Ham and Cheese on Focacia, and Tuna Fish wraps. You will find them in the same area as the soups. They will also tailor make a sandwich for if you ask. Ice cream (actually frozen yogurt I think) was available from the machine outside WJ and anotehr machine in solarium. Actually in our case it was just the latter becuase the machine outside the WJ was not working last week.

Hi Sonya & Jim,

Wanted you to know it was our pleasure meeting you @ M&M and the cocktail seminar.:) Just wish we would have won @ Bingo...at least once!:(

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. I had jury duty on Monday and am already back into the working world again.

Thanks again for everything! Hope to meet up with you again on another cruise. Do you have one planned? We booked another Feb cruise on the Voyager, but am not too impressed with their new ports of call...Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Pregresso! Wish Key West was still on their agenda.

Take it easy!

I can't believe that RCCL would have had this ship sail with that many problems. If it had been told that there would be problems and minor inconveniences and then discounted the price substantially in order to compensate for it.......then okay. Otherwise, they were foolish to do so.

Makes you want to check everything out to make sure your ship isn't one being worked on.

I know this is a silly question. I've been on the Rhapsody twice and scheduled again next month and have NEVER found the sandwiches or the ice cream in the WJ. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

The sandwiches used to be in that area between where the drink stations are located. The ice cream station was in the same area as the drink stations, near the buffets sorta. Sounds like they moved some things around.

WOW!!! There are so many of you that I see have sailed the Rhapsody over and over again. We have sailed the larger class ships in the past and truly have a blast. However, we are sailing 7/1/07 for a family reunion and didn't get to pick itinerary or ship. My husband thinks we will be disappointed with the Rhapsody being smaller. I keep saying how could you be on any cruise and be disappointed, right?:o What makes you all keep sailing this ship....is it a best kept secret? And will my kids have just as much fun on this size ship??

You may be surprised how nice a smaller ship can be. There's much to be said for intimacy on a ship (and for not taking 20 minutes to get from bow to stern :)). It's easier to get to know crew and fellow passengers. It's easier to get around. You don't have many areas of the ship that lack ocean views. The whole ship seems more relaxed.

It's more intangible than anything else, but it's worth a great deal.

D

As you can see we go from Rhapsody to the M Class ships on Celebrity. There are fewer bars/lounges to choose from but that just means you fall into more of a routine and get to know your bar staff a little better. It's my experience that the crew is very friendly on Rhapsody - must be the Texas charm that has rubbed off. :) Other than the unfortunate post dry dock week, it's a well run ship. Nothing is perfect but the nice part of a smaller ship is that you don't have hordes of people everywhere you go. Your kids should be just fine. Plenty for them.

WOW!!! There are so many of you that I see have sailed the Rhapsody over and over again. We have sailed the larger class ships in the past and truly have a blast. However, we are sailing 7/1/07 for a family reunion and didn't get to pick itinerary or ship. My husband thinks we will be disappointed with the Rhapsody being smaller. I keep saying how could you be on any cruise and be disappointed, right?:o What makes you all keep sailing this ship....is it a best kept secret? And will my kids have just as much fun on this size ship??

How could you be on any cruise and be disappointed, right! If you make up your mind to have a good time and enjoy yourself everything will be fine. Some of the "things to do" are not available on the Vision class ships but there is still plenty to do. There are great activities and the crew & staff is the best. Give 'em a chance and they will deliver the WoW!

Enjoy your family and your reunion.

I'm so disappointed to hear they didn't add a Concierge Lounge during drydock. We have 2 cruises booked on the Rhapsody in the next 6 months, and we're starting to rethink that decision. I can't help but wonder if RCI thinks they don't need to reward their Diamond & Diamond+ passengers for their loyalty, because there are plenty of first-time cruisers who will be satisfied with less.

No, RCI is not ignoring Diamonds or Double Diamonds or Diamonds plus or anything else.

The ship is LEAVING the US market for Asia where they will have an entirely new customer base. RCI is not snubbing their frequent cruisers.

We too will be on Rhapsody twice in the next 6 months, our last cruise on Rhapsody will be as Diamonds...the perks are nice but they are NOT critical. I would not sail on Carnivore even if you offered me dbl the perks.

Other posters comments: "Small"

Rhapsody is 78,000+ tons. That is not small. In the early 70's most cruise ships were between 14,000 and 21,000. Most Destroyers in WWII were 7,000 tons.

78,000 tons is not small. There are distinct advantages to a ship her size.

#1 Smaller crowds

#2 Less of a walk from one venue to another

#3 Crew Familiarity..which you definately do not get on one of the mega

ships.

#4 It does not take you 6 days to figure out where everything is on a ship the size of Rhapsody.

Just sticking my now in....

No, RCI is not ignoring Diamonds or Double Diamonds or Diamonds plus or anything else.

The ship is LEAVING the US market for Asia where they will have an entirely new customer base. RCI is not snubbing their frequent cruisers.

We too will be on Rhapsody twice in the next 6 months, our last cruise on Rhapsody will be as Diamonds...the perks are nice but they are NOT critical. I would not sail on Carnivore even if you offered me dbl the perks.

Other posters comments: "Small"

Rhapsody is 78,000+ tons. That is not small. In the early 70's most cruise ships were between 14,000 and 21,000. Most Destroyers in WWII were 7,000 tons.

78,000 tons is not small. There are distinct advantages to a ship her size.

#1 Smaller crowds

#2 Less of a walk from one venue to another

#3 Crew Familiarity..which you definately do not get on one of the mega

ships.

#4 It does not take you 6 days to figure out where everything is on a ship the size of Rhapsody.

Just sticking my now in....

Hey Jim, how do you really feel? :rolleyes:

"I would not sail on Carnivore even if you offered me dbl the perks."

My version of that is: I wouldn't sail on that line if it were FREE!

DITTO

I'm so disappointed to hear they didn't add a Concierge Lounge during drydock.

I totally agree. I don't understand why they didn't convert the card room on the Rhapsody like they did on the Splendour of the Seas. I think they should put CL's in all Vision and Sovereign Class Ships. What they did on the Splendour was not major renovation and could have been done on the Rhapsody just as easily. We are sailing on the Rhapsody next month for the sixth time and it would have been really nice to enjoy the CL. I realize the Rhapsody is leaving Galveston and going to Asia but I don't see how that has anything to do with rewarding Diamonds, D+'s and Grand Suite and above passengers. The Splendour sails in Europe and is going to South America and it has a Concierge Lounge.

I also agree about the Concierge Lounge--it would be easy to convert the card room. But it is not too late--it still could easily be done. In fact, it wasn't immediately done to the Splendour in her drydock. We were on the first sailing after the Splendour repositioned back to Galveston (which was after her drydock and repositioning sailing) and the card room conversion had not been completed.

I think I will email Crown and Anchor and ask about the addition of the Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody, indicating how much I was looking foward to that. Perhaps if enough people do that, RCCL will see how much this is wanted and will do the conversion.

Does anyone know if the new bedding is the same kind as the Carnival ships have went to? We will be sailing in July. My son will be getting married while in Galveston. Only sailed Rccl. once and that was the Monarch out of California. Had a great time.... Can't wait to go again!!!:D

I also agree about the Concierge Lounge--it would be easy to convert the card room. But it is not too late--it still could easily be done. In fact, it wasn't immediately done to the Splendour in her drydock. We were on the first sailing after the Splendour repositioned back to Galveston (which was after her drydock and repositioning sailing) and the card room conversion had not been completed.

I think I will email Crown and Anchor and ask about the addition of the Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody, indicating how much I was looking foward to that. Perhaps if enough people do that, RCCL will see how much this is wanted and will do the conversion.

That is a great idea Kathy I will email C & A as well! Take good care.

Richard

The only problem is the Rhapsody is being taken away from Galveston and they are bringing in the Voyager the end of December. Doesnt the Voyager have the lounge?

If the Rhapsody was staying here, then it would make more sense to let them know if you wanted them to do the lounge. (i.e. pick your battles).

I too wish the Rhapsody was staying :(

I also agree about the Concierge Lounge--it would be easy to convert the card room. But it is not too late--it still could easily be done.

I'd be having a fit if they did that. On the Grand Princess the bridge players were so upset at no card room on the ship that they said they would never sail Princess again. Im a bridge player. Taking away the card room so some folks can meet in there would upset me big time. I think its a horrible idea, but then I look forward to playing bridge in the card room.

I don't understand why Rhapsody going to Asia would mean the Rhapsody shouldn't have a concierge lounge. There are a lot of people sailing on it through August and then the subsequent cruises through the Panama Canal, Hawaii, etc. Even in Asia, people would still enjoy a concierge lounge--these lounges were in hotels we stayed in Japan and also Singapore. And frankly, I think a concierge lounge would be more popular in Asia than a card room as I don't believe that bridge is a traditional Asian game and not that popular, except perhaps in some of the former Crown colonies.

It isn't fighting a battle either just to express your feelings to Crown and Anchor. Not having a concierge lounge won't stop me from sailing on Rhapsody. But if Royal Caribbean doesn't know that many were expecting the concierge lounge to put in during or shortly after her drydock like her sister, the Splendour, then they may not consider it if they weren't planning on putting it in anyway as a matter of course.

I understand how you feel about the card room. I think the card room was converted on the Splendour because it was an already enclosed room and required minimal changes. I think there are other areas on the ship which could be converted to a concierge lounge instead, but that was Royal Caribbean's decision about what to do.

We were on the Grand before the card room was taken away and enjoyed it. The elimination of the card room was a big controversy. But then the card room was not only eliminated on the Grand, but on the other Grand class ships as well and the internet cafes installed instead. When we were on the Grand in February, bridge was regularly scheduled in the Painted Desert. The Grand still sails at full capacity.

On the Splendour there is no card room and the card players met in several other locations. Also, on both the Rhapsody (on our December sailing) and the Splendour (on our November sailing), there is a bulletin board near the purser's desk where if you want to meet with others, like a club or special interest group, you could place a card there. Several people posted cards wanting to play chess and other games. So you can meet as is scheduled in the ship Compass and also post to meet others outside of that time.

I'd be having a fit if they did that. On the Grand Princess the bridge players were so upset at no card room on the ship that they said they would never sail Princess again. Im a bridge player. Taking away the card room so some folks can meet in there would upset me big time. I think its a horrible idea, but then I look forward to playing bridge in the card room.

I'm with you firefly! And we're not alone. On our cruise on Rhapsody in October the card room was a very popular place. In fact, every time we attempted to go in there with some new friends we made onboard we could never find a free table.

Archived