Southern Carb. - Should I leave out of PR or from the mainland?

Delta Flyer

I, too, have sailed out of San Juan twice and loved it. The S. Caribbean routes are awesome! We have always been able to find reasonable flights out of Chicago O'Hare non-stop (around $300 RT). We really enjoy Old San Juan's shopping and sightseeing. Like someone else said it's like visiting another port. Be sure to leave an extra day to visit historic Old San Juan.

Have fun deciding!

Kaye

We have done 4 cruises out of SJ and loved everyone. Never a problem for us on land or on the ship. Can never figure out what people complain about this. We prefer ports to sea days and are doing it again in April. We vote for San Juan!

We cruised in October 2005 on the Caribbean Princess out of FLL. Before booking, I had looked at a southern Carib. cruise out of San Juan, but the airfare was almost as much as the cruise itself. I was shocked that the airfare to SJ was so high from Texas. That's what helped make our decision. Hopefully, some day we will get to do a southern Caribbean itinerary. Good luck. Kellie in Texas

That is surprising as there are numerous flights to San Juan direct from Dallas/Houston. :)

It appears in 2008 all of the longer Princess southern carib cruises are embarking in SJ. I love the idea of lots of ports. I would have preferred FLL though, just because I am familiar with it. I have no idea what it would be like to fly into SJ a day early and try to find my way around. Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish and have no idea of the layout of the place or even how to get through customs in the SJ airport. So that is what would make me think twice about giving it a try.

It appears in 2008 all of the longer Princess southern carib cruises are embarking in SJ. I love the idea of lots of ports. I would have preferred FLL though, just because I am familiar with it. I have no idea what it would be like to fly into SJ a day early and try to find my way around. Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish and have no idea of the layout of the place or even how to get through customs in the SJ airport. So that is what would make me think twice about giving it a try.

Geez, live a little! You don't need to go through customs in San Juan, since Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. English is also widely spoken, your taxi driver can take you wherever you need to go. You'd be amazed at the great times that can be had by going a tad outside your comfort zone.

Remember that the port is 5 minutes away from the airport in Ft. Lauderdale (roundtrip $30). The airport in San Juan is a 20-30 minute taxi ride from the port (roundtrip $90)

It is a shorter flight to Ft. Lauderdale- allowing for people to fly in the same day and not incur the hotel room for an overnight- which would be necessary for San Juan.

So these are some considerations.

It is not $90 roundtrip in taxi fare in San Juan. Try $40 roundtrip, the prices are government regulated and even if you're stuck in traffic you don't pay anymore. I was just there in November 2006 so these prices are new.

Geez, live a little! You don't need to go through customs in San Juan, since Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. English is also widely spoken, your taxi driver can take you wherever you need to go. You'd be amazed at the great times that can be had by going a tad outside your comfort zone.

LA_FadeAway makes very good points - travel should be fairly straightforward. Also, it seems that most major U.S. hotel chains have hotels in S.J., so if you were hesitant about accommodations, there are plenty of familiar hotels to choose from.

San Juan is wonderful, as are the people there. I used to fly there every two weeks (business) from Miami, where I lived at the time, and there weren't two hoots worth of difference between the two airport experiences. And the only Spanish I speak is Buenos Dios, Gracias and Dos Cervezas, por favor. It worked just fine, because almost everyone can speak English, even if it isn't their primary language.

We like sea days as much as port days, but the best thing about that itinerary out of San Juan is that even on the sea day, you're sailing past, and close to, other islands...very cool. Seeing Plymouth buried in lava on Montserrat, Saba, Statia, Nevis...we were up on deck all day watching the islands go by. This was on the 7 night Serenade of the Sea out of San Juan, our favorite Caribbean cruise yet (out of about 8 or 9 of them).

Alice J is right. The Sheraton Old San Juan is just diagonally across the street from Pier #4 where Princess docks. This is a great choice and easy to maneuver for someone who is skeptical about the area. Historic Old san Juan is only about 15 square blocks. Once we stayed in the condado area which requires a taxi to OSJ and the Pier and the second time we stayed in the heart of OSJ at Hotel Milano (less $$$ but certainly quaint and clean). Walked to the Pier in the morning to see the ship, but needed a taxi to carry luggage later (about 3 blocks) only because of the cobblestone streets. We found the people to be very friendly and helpful. My advice is to go and have fun!

Kaye

I like San Juan but given the choice would always sail out of Ft. Lauderdale.

The airfare is cheaper for most people to Ft. Lauderdale. There are non-stops to Ft. Lauderdale. No brainer.

To make matters even better, The Port is 2 miles from Ft. Lauderdale airport. It takes approximately 5 minutes to get there. A breeze.

The cab ride from SJU to the pier was 1/2 hour and far more entertaining than watching a week's worth of ship comedians :eek:

FLL is more sedate if you want precruise. PR is simply amazing. we spent a week there and had a great time...

Kaye, we agree with you. Flew into SJU day before and stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Enjoyed strolling through old San Juan, having a nice dinner and finding some great deals at the Polo store. In the morning, ate breakfast and easily walked to El Morro in the morning. Got back to the hotel, checked out, walked to the pier and we were on board in 30 minutes. If still leaving from Pier 4, this is the way to go.

Steve

I prefered San Juan myself. The water was too choppy coming from FL on my first cruise and everyone who cruised before said that's just how it is till you get closer to PR.

On my RCCL cruise, I didn't notice a tremendously heavier PR population though (unless I just wasn't paying too much attention). The stories I've heard from ppl who've taken Carnival seems to be worse. People from the cruise in PR weren't any nicer or more rude then when we left out of FL.

I wonder if the pricing has something to do with it though because RCCL was a little more expensive than the Carnival cruises coming out of San Juan.

I have been out of PR 4 times now- exceptionally fast embark and debark. NEVER have we had problems with the people, on Carnival or Princess. One word about the area- it is very pretty but the hotels are a pain. I would try to fly in the day of the cruise as only 1 hotel is truly within walking distance of the port and a lot are boutique hotels that are a bit dicey on service. Do not buy cruise transfers, it cost about 17-20$ for the car for a taxi (easily gotten in the airport- very organized) and the cruise lines charge 15-20 per person! If you go on the Crown- try the 2 week itinerary as it is worth it and as long as you are going that far- go long!!! Try to spend a couple of days there or a post cruise excursion to the rainforest- the only one in the US!

Even though I'm not the OP, your posts have certainly made me feel better about giving it a try in 2008. I've ALWAYS wanted to do the far Southern Caribbean and was very unhappy when future Princess cruises apparently were only embarking from San Juan. I would love to see those islands. I'm going to print off this thread and save it because of the good advice. Thank you all so much for your great comments. Actually from where I live, the airfare to SJ seems to be the same or better than to FLL.

Now I understand that I won't have to go through customs when coming into San Juan. Basically, I just get a taxi and go to the hotel. That sounds easy enough. I like the idea of the hotel near the cruise ship port. When we get back from the cruise and go to the airport to return to the mainland...where is customs done then?

As to my comfort zone, taking a cruise (any cruise) was WAY out of that. I get sea sick, and was very worried that I would get on the ship, head out to sea and then I couldn't get off...if I things didn't go well. But with the help of this board, I was able to prepare to where I felt OK about it. We had a fantastic time and have happily stayed with Princess ever since. OK - so now I'm very comfortable with Princess and I guess I should explore another line but....:rolleyes: Anyway, you're right...life's too short not to try new things.

We are once again taking b2b from San Juan--Southern and southern Explorer--the only port that is duplicated is St. Thomas--This time we will be on the Crown--looking forward to this cruise--leaving April 7th--just over a month from now.

I think you would also enjoy spending a couple of days in

San Juan

This time we are only coming in a day early and spending the night in Old San Juan at the Sheraton

Have fun whatever you choose

Nancy:D

I would pick leaving from San Juan. You tend to get more port days which gives you the option to getting off the ship and doing whatever you like. If you rather stay on ship, you would have less people on board, so easier to get a chair, relax by the pool etc.

Now I understand that I won't have to go through customs when coming into San Juan. Basically, I just get a taxi and go to the hotel. That sounds easy enough. I like the idea of the hotel near the cruise ship port. When we get back from the cruise and go to the airport to return to the mainland...where is customs done then?

Rosej, I'm so happy to hear you are considering the cruise from PR! To answer your question about customs when returning, it's handled during disembarkation, just like returning to Florida. Keep in mind that Puerto Rico, is a U.S. territory, so there will be nothing different arriving or departing, just like flying in and out of any Florida airport or cruising from any Florida port. Enjoy!!

If you really like cruising I would leave from Fort Lauderdale. In my opinion 10 days on a cruise ship sure beats 7 days. That is why we are booked on the Emerald next February. For us it was an easy decision. I know that many cannot be away for 10 days so 7 will have to do.

We just got back from the Crown Princess Classic Southern Caribbean that left out of San Juan. We had five ports of call. One thing I noticed about Crown Princess, is that she was first into port and last out. We had a lot of time in each port and we were docked at each port. We never stepped foot on a tender. I would have liked to have one more sea day, but the ports were great and we saw a lot. We got to San Juan a day early, visited both forts, and walked all over Old Town. I really liked Old Town San Juan and wouldn't think twice about cruising from there again.

I agree 10 days is much better than 7 days. But doesn't the Crown do a 14 day out of PR? If I'm going to make the effort to get down there, I want to cruise as long as I can ;)

I agree and just might look into it also or a 14 day out of Florida. The more days the better if you are able to afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived