Shopping in Mexico

johnaricka

I want to buy real Mexican type stuff...bf wants a hammock...

we want to get some "sunface" ceramic thingys to hang on patio

maybe some silver jewelry, an embroirdered coverup for me ??

any advice on shopping for these ? thanks

We haven't been shopping in Cozumel but have been to the main land area (Playa Del Carmen) many times. As I recall, I don't think this will be the best port for designer type items (real or otherwise). You might see some but nothing like what we saw at St Thomas for example. I would think you would have an easy time with any type of silver jewerly (look around and barter, a lot of stores have the same style of jewerly at various prices). Also not to be missed, make sure you buy some vanilla (much better/stronger than what can be purchased in the states).

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I bought a "fake" Chanel wallet, Chanel handbag, and Chanel sunglasses for 90.00. Not bad for all three. There are a few stores where you can do this. Most places dont have the designer stuff. But, we just got back on March 10, and we searched some places out.

Good luck.

Tanya

In Cozumel you can find reasonably priced silver "Tiffany" necklaces and bracelets. The stores where I found these are within walking distance of Carlos 'n Charlies.

For the poster looking for inexpensive knock-offs in the Eastern Caribbean ports - Nassau's Straw Market. The stalls are very close to each other so it is not for the claustrophobic. Bargaining is expected and don't be afraid to walk away. There are a lot of vendors with the same products.

Archived