Handicap access/preboard

If you have someone in a wheelchair do you wait in the same line as everyone else for embarkation. We are traveling with someone who has many health problems. He is concerned about embarkation as he tires easily. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Misand:confused:

If you have someone in a wheelchair do you wait in the same line as everyone else for embarkation. We are traveling with someone who has many health problems. He is concerned about embarkation as he tires easily. Anyone have any experience with this?

:

They will gladly provide him with a wheelchair to embark (and disembark) but he will have to wait like everyone else. You should arrange for the wheelchair in advance (this is not for use DURING the cruise or in ports, just embarkation and disembarkation). It would probably be best to arrive after the crowds - maybe 2-3 p.m.

When I travelled in a wheelchair for one cruise, embarkation was a breeze! I did have to wait in same line to check in, but after that I was assisted by a staff member through an elevator and past the entire line. Was on ship within 5 minutes I think. Please tell a staff member if he has multiple health problems and I AM SURE they will bypass the line for your family member and get you all right on. That is the way it should be anyway....

And just to note, they had a special area all of us that were special needs/handicapped waited to get off the ship. We went through a special elevator, ramps, and out of the ship. We never waited with any of the other passangers. Customs had a line just for us as well. RCI provided a staff member to push my chair so my husband could carry all our junk to the car with the porter. Very nice service.

There are even ramps and lifts for the tenders!! Very great accomodations.

This is when I sailed Navigator out of Miami in 2005.

Hi the above poster is not quite right. There is a separate line for those in wheelchair/medical. It is at one end or the other depending on the port. Ask for the Handicapped line. Have your boarding passes ready.

Yes, bring your own wheelchair as their's is for embarkation/disembarkation only. Their wheelchairs are in really bad shape. This will aid in shore ex as well.

You will have to wait to board if you get there early. They will direct you to an elevator instead of the mass line once you have your room/expense key. The family can wait with him to board. If you arrive before the room opens (about 1 pm) just go to the buffet.

whether they wait in line or with everyone else very often depends on the port of embarkation. If it is somewhere used a lot like MIA or FLL, there is usually a separate line for wheelchair users and someone, seeing the wheelchair, will direct you to that line or desk. And again, depending on the port and the cruise line, there are usually ships personnel to assist boarding once you and your carry-on luggage have cleared security,

Archived