Difference in Cruise companies

johnaricka

We are looking into next years cruise and want your oppinion on the different cruise companies.

Which ones do you think are the best for families? Which ones offer the most stuff to do on the boats? Who has the best food?

TIA

We find Carnival and RCL to be fairly comprable. Carnival is generally considered family oriented yet is also considered a party line. It really depends on the time you cruise of course, spring break=party time. Holidays=family time

We are looking into next years cruise and want your oppinion on the different cruise companies.

Which ones do you think are the best for families? Which ones offer the most stuff to do on the boats? Who has the best food?

TIA

Best for families - Disney, Carnival & Royal Caribbean

Most stuff - Royal Caribbean's Voyager and Freedom class ships

Best food - the luxury lines (Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn ...)

The differences are quite huge and there is no general answer true for everybody.

For example:

"most stuff do to" - What is important "stuff" for you? Ice skating, wall climbing -> Royal Caribbean; Ball room dancing, lectures, classes -> Cunard et sim.

"best food" - On a gourmet scale certainly the luxury lines lead but if you read some reviews there are some people who do not find this to their liking ("over the top") and prefer more down-to-earth food and thus a "contemporary" line.

"best for families" - Many people automatically think all children would want to have video arcades, silly games etc. only and recommend eg. Carnival. Other parents know that their children feel well in a atmosphere that includes eg. more formal or eductional options (like eg. the Planetarium on the QM2).

Some families want to have special activites for each member, others want to spent their family vacation together.

It is quite important to get an idea about your personal preferences and their match to the various cruiselines, otherwise you might be disappointed.

I disagree , I feel the basic cruise experience is the same on just about every line..........food is subjective...........the difference can be in the amount of personal attention and service.........I have sailed on RC 12 times and NEVER even been back to the Rock climbing wall.........it is there if you want to use it but not part of a traditional cruise experience.......

The real difference sometimes can be the "board of directors" of a particular company.........and how much profit they would like to make:)

We've done two cruises- one RCL and one NCL with kids and they enjoyed both. The teenagers won't do the teen activities but they meet people and have fun. Our 8 y.o. loved both kids programs and it was wonderful having her entertained so DH and I could enjoy each other's company. I was talking to my dentist this week and he was saying how he hated his cruise on Disney...but he took his two kids on it when they were 12 and 14!!! And then he complained about it being swamped with children. Come on. So, anayway, what they'll enjoy will depend on how old they are. Our TA suggested last year that for a first cruise with mixed ages, a ship like RCL's Explorer would be good because it has everything. He was right, although we enjoyed the NCL Dream just as much but it's a different cruise experience. For next year we are looking at RCL's Jewel and Costa Mediterranea. My kids just love any cruise and what I steer clear of is a party cruise because I can't stand the overly boozy behavior.

Have fun!

Barb

I was talking to my dentist this week and he was saying how he hated his cruise on Disney...but he took his two kids on it when they were 12 and 14!!! And then he complained about it being swamped with children.

There are kids on a Disney cruise? :eek: That comment alone would have me looking for a new dentist. What did he expect to find on a Disney cruise??? :confused:

The last two answers are as on as you will get. So much depends on your chileren, their ages, what they like etc. Here is a brief breakdown on the mass marketed lines, but remember this is opinion only.

Disney: great for young children: large cabins, more pricey than other lines and the food is often not thought to be the best.

Carnival: great kids programs, large cabins like Disney; food seems to be improving with some very positive reviews in the past few years. Their older ships are not as appealing as some other lines and the service can be hit or miss. For some the ships are just a little too big, more like a city than a cruise. The larger the ship the more you lose in intimacy.

NCL: again, great kids program. The newer ships are as nice or nicer than many other lines and the freestyle dining is often popular with families. It offers so much variety and flexibility. The cabins are on the smaller side. As for the food, like almost any line it can be hit or miss. None of the lines offer truely outstanding food unless you choose the speicalty dining rooms. This doesn't mean the food is bad, by any means. If is quite good, but not gourmet. I tell my claints: if you are happy with the basic chain restaurants like Macaroni Grill and Bennegans you should not have a problem. If you are expecting Ruths Chris you will be disappointed. Most of the newer ships do offer "Blue Lagoon" a 24 hour diner with great snacks like Fish and Chips, burgers, buffalo wings and the like.

Celebrity: the ships are nice and the service is usually very good. The good also is good, perhaps a little better than the lines listed above. The cabins, catagory for catagory are about identical with NCL. Celebrity offers some little niceties that people love, but certainly do not make or break a cruise: Champange when you board, cool wet towels when returning from shore tours, etc. The kids program is good, but maybe not quite up to some of the others as Celebrity draws a little older crowd. Again, this doesn't mean there will not be kids or the kids program isn't good.

Princess: Princess offers a couple of really nice features that are different. Instead of total freestyle dining like NCL or traditional like other ships, you can choose which better fits your needs. Would you prefer to eat at the time you choose or would you like assigned dining which is traditional. Like Celebrity and NCL the cabins may not be quite as large. They offer a wonderful feature: movies at sea which is on the deck. This is a very popular feature. The buffet is also 24 hours so you can always find something to eat. I really have never heard much about the kids program one way of the other.

Holland America: the class of the mass marketed lines but not as good for kids. They are working to become more kid friendly and yet, their repeat business is still the 40-80 year olds mainly. Again, I am generalizing. Of course you will find families on the ships. HAL has the best food by far and the service is outstanding. The cabins are larger than many mass marketed lines. As for activities, they don't offer as much to do as the more family friendly lines.

RCI: RCI cabins are much like the other lines. Not as large as Disney, Carnival or HAL, but not bad. The food ranges from good to very good and back to fair. Service can be hit or miss, depending on the particular ship and sailing. Of course this is true on all lines. Of course many love the activities like ice skating, rock climbing, etc. They feel these things are great for the kids. Others say kids loose interest in the activities pretty quickly. It depends on your children and again their ages. Remember most lines do not offer any activities for kids under 2 or 3. NCL, Disney and I think Carnival do take 2 year olds in the program, but if they are not potty trained mommy or daddy will be called to change diapers when necessary. None of the lines allow toddlers who are not potty trained in any of the pools. No exceptions...

As for entertainment, there is very little difference between the lines. In fact there is little difference period. I would consentrate on itinerary and price. Your kids will have fun regardless.

NMnita

The last two answers are as on as you will get. So much depends on your chileren, their ages, what they like etc. Here is a brief breakdown on the mass marketed lines, but remember this is opinion only.

Disney: great for young children: large cabins, more pricey than other lines and the food is often not thought to be the best.

Carnival: great kids programs, large cabins like Disney; food seems to be improving with some very positive reviews in the past few years. Their older ships are not as appealing as some other lines and the service can be hit or miss. For some the ships are just a little too big, more like a city than a cruise. The larger the ship the more you lose in intimacy.

NCL: again, great kids program. The newer ships are as nice or nicer than many other lines and the freestyle dining is often popular with families. It offers so much variety and flexibility. The cabins are on the smaller side. As for the food, like almost any line it can be hit or miss. None of the lines offer truely outstanding food unless you choose the speicalty dining rooms. This doesn't mean the food is bad, by any means. If is quite good, but not gourmet. I tell my claints: if you are happy with the basic chain restaurants like Macaroni Grill and Bennegans you should not have a problem. If you are expecting Ruths Chris you will be disappointed. Most of the newer ships do offer "Blue Lagoon" a 24 hour diner with great snacks like Fish and Chips, burgers, buffalo wings and the like.

Celebrity: the ships are nice and the service is usually very good. The good also is good, perhaps a little better than the lines listed above. The cabins, catagory for catagory are about identical with NCL. Celebrity offers some little niceties that people love, but certainly do not make or break a cruise: Champange when you board, cool wet towels when returning from shore tours, etc. The kids program is good, but maybe not quite up to some of the others as Celebrity draws a little older crowd. Again, this doesn't mean there will not be kids or the kids program isn't good.

Princess: Princess offers a couple of really nice features that are different. Instead of total freestyle dining like NCL or traditional like other ships, you can choose which better fits your needs. Would you prefer to eat at the time you choose or would you like assigned dining which is traditional. Like Celebrity and NCL the cabins may not be quite as large. They offer a wonderful feature: movies at sea which is on the deck. This is a very popular feature. The buffet is also 24 hours so you can always find something to eat. I really have never heard much about the kids program one way of the other.

Holland America: the class of the mass marketed lines but not as good for kids. They are working to become more kid friendly and yet, their repeat business is still the 40-80 year olds mainly. Again, I am generalizing. Of course you will find families on the ships. HAL has the best food by far and the service is outstanding. The cabins are larger than many mass marketed lines. As for activities, they don't offer as much to do as the more family friendly lines.

RCI: RCI cabins are much like the other lines. Not as large as Disney, Carnival or HAL, but not bad. The food ranges from good to very good and back to fair. Service can be hit or miss, depending on the particular ship and sailing. Of course this is true on all lines. Of course many love the activities like ice skating, rock climbing, etc. They feel these things are great for the kids. Others say kids loose interest in the activities pretty quickly. It depends on your children and again their ages. Remember most lines do not offer any activities for kids under 2 or 3. NCL, Disney and I think Carnival do take 2 year olds in the program, but if they are not potty trained mommy or daddy will be called to change diapers when necessary. None of the lines allow toddlers who are not potty trained in any of the pools. No exceptions...

As for entertainment, there is very little difference between the lines. In fact there is little difference period. I would consentrate on itinerary and price. Your kids will have fun regardless.

NMnita

Nita, I'm not sucking up or anything like that :) but this is a darned good post!!

Nita, I'm not sucking up or anything like that :) but this is a darned good post!!

thanks, I am accused all the time of being too loyal to one particular cruise line but I try to be as objective as possible and I do think each line has pros and cons.There are those who would find HAL awful and would be in 7th heaven on Disney; others that would love NCL and hate Princess.

OK, now how about the clientele? Forget being politically correct for a moment, and give us your honest opinion. To many, the mainstream cruise lines have the following reputations:

Disney: middle class and up, families only

Carnival: middle class and down, not many wealthier clients, more party atmosphere, families and partying singles

RCI, Princess, NCL: bit more upscale, broad mix of families and singles of all ages

Celebrity, HAL: older, wealthier clientele. Fewer families.

Please fire away with responses and opinions.

OK, now how about the clientele? Forget being politically correct for a moment, and give us your honest opinion. To many, the mainstream cruise lines have the following reputations:

Disney: middle class and up, families only

Carnival: middle class and down, not many wealthier clients, more party atmosphere, families and partying singles

RCI, Princess, NCL: bit more upscale, broad mix of families and singles of all ages

Celebrity, HAL: older, wealthier clientele. Fewer families.

Please fire away with responses and opinions.

I would disagree about your evaluation of NCL and RCI. I think they are similar to Carnival in terms of demographic being middle class families. RCI also has lots of groups aboard.

Some put Princess "up" there with HAL and X but I think their large ships would not be attractive to wealthier, older clientele. I have not cruised with them in many years so cannot say from experience but one reason I stay away is the large ships, the anytime dining and the lack of sommeliers.

I prefer the niceties offered on HAL and X and the lack of too many announcements, noisy passengers, etc. I would say they appeal to the independent minded traveller who prefers a more formal and traditional experience and who does not need to be constantly entertained.

Archived