FRESH Seafood: Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, ISP..where do the locals go?

smattapup

We'll be cruising up 'laska way come May, and will be stopping in these cities. Since my wife won't get on a small boat, we won't be catching our own fish, but would still like to eat fresh fish every chance we get.

What are the best places in these towns for fish?

In Juneau, Twisted Fishes right near the dock is good, for halibut and chips I like the little place in back of the Sand Bar in the valley. The Crab Shack near the dock is good as well. There is also a salmon bake, but I've never been there. I really don't trust the big salmon bakes that do a lot of volume, as I suspect some of them are serving frozen and possibly even farmed salmon. I've heard good things about the Thane Ore House one, though.

I don't know about Skagway. I don't know of any outstanding seafood places there.

There's a salmon bake at Icy Straight Point. Since it is run by the native corporation, I would imagine the food is fairly fresh.

Anchorage has a lot of great restaurants. Simon and Seaforts is good for seafood.

In Juneau: the Sand Bar is our favorite for halibut and chips, but it is located in "the valley" not downtown.

Icy Strait: In the town of Hoonah, the Office Tavern has fresh dungeness crab, and The Galley has excellent halibut pizza (sounds wierd, but tastes great)

In Skagway, the Skagway Fish Company over by the small boat harbor and Railroad Dock, is the one we anxiously await the opening of every year.

Murray

Hi Murray!

How far is this from the cruise ship docks? It sounds like some place we might like to try while we are there. Thanks for the help!

Hi Murray!

How far is this from the cruise ship docks? It sounds like some place we might like to try while we are there. Thanks for the help!

Hi I am not Murray but yes it is right by the cruise ship docks.

marilyn

The Sand Bar in Juneau is good, but a bit out of the way.

Twisted Fish is alright, but I've never been thrilled about their service.

The Hangar has better service and great views of the water, never had their seafood, but been with lots of people who have and they love it.

Our cruise is stopping in Prince Rupert...anyone got a suggestion?

You betcha - Smiles Seafood Cafe (small and totally casual but no view), the Breakers Pub (casual with many view tables) and the Waterfront Restaurant at the Crest Hotel (arguably the best food in town, definitely the best view).

Murray

You betcha - Smiles Seafood Cafe (small and totally casual but no view), the Breakers Pub (casual with many view tables) and the Waterfront Restaurant at the Crest Hotel (arguably the best food in town, definitely the best view).

Murray

Thanks Murray for the suggestions for Prince rupert. We will be there this coming May and was looking for suggestions. Again thanks.

Marilyn

We are going to have a rental car. Can someone tell me where the Sand Bar, The Hanger and the Waterfront Restaurant at the Crest Hotel are? Directions would be great.

If you do a Google search all sorts of info comes up. That is wht I did.

marilyn

Correct, the Hangar is "Hangar on the Wharf"

The Sandbar is at 2525 Industrial Blvd. Its out of the way and a lil hole in the wall but the fish and chips are great.

Twisted Fish is downtown next to Mt Roberts Tram.

Archived