Can You Take Leis Back to U.S. Mainland?

LokiGB

If you are flying out of Honolulu, before you check in stop off at the lei stands. You can take as many leis as you want, either by wearing them or having them bagged (make sure you get a bag for the one you're wearing in case you get tired of it).

Our favorite stand is Martha's. She has catered many luaus for us and has never let us down. Her flowers are always fresh and affordable.

Have a great cruise!

Charlie

Would like to take a couple of leis home on the airplane. Is there an agriculture inspection and can you get them through without a problem?

There is most definitely an ag inspection, but "loose" flowers (e.g., lei) should be OK. The state is very concerned about soil and fruit leaving the islands. You can even take "certified" plants, they just have to either be completely clean (no soil) or in a neutral medium. Do check with any vendor that you buy from, and ask. You could also check the Hawai'i ag website and/or telephone them for more official information.

Flowers are okay, but not fresh SEEDS, so be careful when purchasing as leis can be made of seeds and you will have to give them up at agriculture inspection.

I had to give up a beautiful "mokihana" lei as mokihana is a seed (a beautiful round green seed). Some "haku" leis (multi-flowers and greens woven together, usually for around the head) incorporate seeds, so it's best to ask when you buy. The lei maker should know what can be taken off the islands.

What about Kukui Nut leis? Anyone know?

Kukui nut leis are fine because they hollow out the kukuis and only the shell is used for the lei. They also process the shells and then laquer them, so all is safe for transport.

I would take the first poster's suggestion and buy the leis in the stands inside the airport. That's what I'v always heard is the only way they will be allowed.

You can purchase leis anywhere, not just the airport lei stands. Most locals know what can and can't be transported, and definately a lei store would know.

Anyway, here's the definitive answer (from the State of Hawaii Agriculture website):

"American agriculture is constantly being threatened by plant and animal pests and diseases. Many are microscopic. Every traveler, even those traveling from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland and Guam, may unknowingly carry these hitchhikers that could seriously damage American agriculture.

All passenger baggage moving from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland and Guam is subject to inspection. These inspections are performed prior to departure at the airport by inspectors from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). Please be prepared to open and close your own baggage. Do not tape coolers and boxes closed until after inspection.

In addition, all agricultural items being shipped to the U.S. mainland must be inspected prior to being presented to airline cargo offices, the post office, or other courier services.

If you have any agricultural items with you, please inform the inspector. Failure to declare these items can result in delays and fines of $1,000 or more.

Permitted Items from Hawaii into the U.S. Mainland and Guam (after passing inspection):

Beach sand

Coconuts

Cooked foods

Dried seeds

Dried decorative arrangements

Fresh flowers (except gardenia, jade vine, and Mauna Loa)

Hinahina (Spanish moss)

“Irish” or white potatoes

Pineapples

Rocks or stones

Seashells (except land snail shells)

Wood (including drift wood and sticks)

Note: Papayas require treatments before they can be shipped to the U.S. mainland. Commercially canned and thoroughly cooked foods are permitted.

Items from Hawaii Not Permitted into the U.S. Mainland:

Berries of any kind, including coffee berries and sea grapes

Cactus plants or parts

Cotton and cotton bolls

Fresh flowers of gardenia, jade vine, and Mauna Loa

Fresh pulpy fruits and vegetables (except pineapple)

Kikania and fresh pandanus

Live insects and snails

Plants in soil

Seeds with pulp and fresh seed pods

Soil

Sugarcane

Swamp cabbage (unchoy)

Sweet potato (raw)"

What great answers to my question about leis! I would never have thought of seeds. You'll see me wearing several leis when we head back home to California. Thanks everyone!

Archived