I am beginning to have my doubts on the kid friendliness

SmokinActuary

of HAL's Vista class ships.

I am concerned that during a peak week Club Hal can't handle the shear number of kids on the cruise.

ANd I am also concerned that some long time HAL cruisers don't think HAL and kids should go together.

Maybe it is becaused I am really stressed out and my family and myself need a vacation. :)

Hi Smokin':

Sometimes I think Cruise Critic should be renamed "Cruise Anxiety" or "Cruise Angst" because I think we tend to focus too much on things that really aren't an issue once you get onboard. There is the virtual existence here on the boards, and there is the real-life experience on the ship.

In my very limited HAL experience (only two cruises) the other passengers were VERY friendly and pleasant around our children, complimenting them on their formal attire, smiling and making kind comments, even giving them little trinkets for Christmas presents (from our roll-call group. If you haven't already joined your roll-call, I highly recommend that you do so.) The dining stewards, room stewards, Pinnacle Grill staff, all of them went out of their way to accommodate our kids. People on HAL are very out-going and sociable. I honestly never encountered one grouchy look or comment regarding our children.

Now, as to your second concern regarding the large numbers of children on your cruise, especially the 150 kids in the 8-12 year-old group; here is my advice, if you want it;) : Attend the Club HAL orientation meeting on the first night of the cruise, meet the staff, ask questions, and make your expectations very clear to them. Not all the children on a cruise utilize the Club HAL facilities, so the actual numbers of kids in your daughter's group will probably be lower. Even so, that's a lot of kids. HAL will be aware of the unusually large count, and will have hired extra Club HAL staff for the cruise. Make proactive arrrangements with your daughter regarding the sign out procedures. Purchase a set of walkie-talkies if you think that will help; my only suggestion to you would be to use them sparingly and be aware of the noise possibly affecting other pax.

You can also place your child in the 3-7 group. We did this with our 8-year-old daughter on our last HAL cruise. There are more stringent sign-in and sign-out procedures for that group, and you can even request a pager. Our daughter had a fine time with the younger kids, and enjoyed all the extra attention she got. Your daughter may not wish to do that, though, but if you are really concerned, it's the best way to go.

Situations get magnified on an internet board like this one. In real life, things are much more mellow on the HAL ships, I promise you.

Karin

Even though I am one of those that would not advise or choose HAL for a family vacation this doesn't mean you should be overly concerned. Yes, you can drop down one level agewise, just not go up. Secondly, not all kids on the ship will be part of the Kids program and those that are will not be there for all activities.

Spring and summer months always finds lots of kids on any cruise line, whether HAL or any other line, these kids are well supervised. Don't worry, go with the intentions of having a good time and don't let us sour pusses scare you. NMnita

I am a Mom of 2 teens that absolutely agrees with MAM!!:D

We have taken the boys on 2 cruises. once during Easter Week and once this last Christmas. Sure there were kids, and by in large they were well behaved.

I let my boys know well in advance the "ground rules" and they think it's the best family holiday imaginable. Hopefully, we will be taking them to Alaska next summer!!

Take a big breath, and then take everything you read here with a grain of salt!

(Maybe better a shaker of salt and a margarita!!;) )

Thanks everyone. Fortunately my 9 year old is a mature, well-behaved sweetheart. Not that I want to waive my parenting responsibilities and assume Club Hal is now the proxy parent, but at the same time I want my daughter to have the ability to take part in events without our contant supervision. It serves us both well.

FWIW we are going on excursions on every port of call (except half moon cay) with my daughter.

Sorry for my ranting. I am going to need decompression by the time the 31st comes along! :D

Even though I am one of those that would not advise or choose HAL for a family vacation this doesn't mean you should be overly concerned.

Ditto, I would not recommend HAL to a client as a family oriented line. There are others out there that clearly market to this segment of the cruising population.

Don't worry. You and DD will have a fabulous time. I agree with both MaM and locallady. This unruly kid thing has been blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion and fanned by a few who prefer that HAL not court family business. We all have our preferences.

The HAL CLub is wonderful and was always the highlight of our my DD's cruises.

FWIW we are traveling with MIL and FIL (in their 70s), my BIL and SIL (turning 50), my wife and myself (mid 40s) and my 9 year old daughter.

It was my understanding that HAL is good at handling multigeneration groups and I was not expecting Carnival or RCL facilities going in.

I am going to be upset if HAL can't handle children at all though.

FWIW we are traveling with MIL and FIL (in their 70s), my BIL and SIL (turning 50), my wife and myself (mid 40s) and my 9 year old daughter.

It was my understanding that HAL is good at handling multigeneration groups and I was not expecting Carnival or RCL facilities going in.

I am going to be upset if HAL can't handle children at all though.

Club HAL is well thought of, though the facilities for kids are not as extensive as on some other lines. I do not think you have any cause for concern.

so much MAM, Localady and Jim!! I've been feeling the same way as Smokin'. Your posts have helped me too relax a little and worry less.

I went on RCI last year with my son and we had a good time. There were unruly children there, on Celebrity previously and probably all the cruiselines. I make sure my son is not one of them and that is my responsibility and pleasure as his mom.

I have ready so many negative comments and disparaging remarks lately on these boards that I'm getting ready to hide and was afraid I'd finally booked a bad vacation. I feel defensive here just because I have a son and we haven't done anything! People have been so mean to each other lately. One of yesterday's threads comments included that families should only be on Disney or a related kid friendly line, kids shouldn't be on the Noordam, etc. Topics about the dress code, too many young people being on a ship, too many old people being on a ship, rats possibly being on the ship, etc. I truly don't understand why people just can't be kind to each other. My mom always taught me "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". Some of the best advice I've ever received.

I think I'm going to stop reading now until our cruise. Something that's been so fun to plan for is turning sour quickly.

Thanks again to all the kind people and everyone who is truly here to teach us newer cruisers and share their experiences.

As a long time HAL cruiser in my opinion you shoud rethink which line you choose. Many other lines are out there that truly cater to children. Many of the old time cruisers, myself included, think of HAL as an elegant, beautiful getaway where the sounds of running, crying, yelling children are NOT welcome. don't get me wrong I like kids, in there place. I just don't think HAL is the place.

As a long time HAL cruiser in my opinion you shoud rethink which line you choose. Many other lines are out there that truly cater to children. Many of the old time cruisers, myself included, think of HAL as an elegant, beautiful getaway where the sounds of running, crying, yelling children are NOT welcome. don't get me wrong I like kids, in there place. I just don't think HAL is the place.

Even for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise during Palm Sunday/Easter Week, especially for someone whose child is neither yelling nor crying, but is precocious and well mannered?

Guest LoveMyBoxer

That's not a very fair assessment, not all children are the type you describe. Maybe not all of HAL ships, but certainly some are good for families. I know my 6 year old DS had a wonderful time on the Noordam over New Year's, and no at no time did he run, scream or yell. As for HAL not being the place, maybe you should contact HAL, since their new brochures are specifically designed to attract families: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hal/caribmex0708/index.php

See pages 18-19. Smokin: don't worry, your kids will have a great time.

I enjoy other people's kids when I'm on a cruise. For the most part they are well behaved, intelligent little people.

I'm sure your DD will have a great time with you family group. Don't stress it! The Club HAL counsellors seem to be a great group.

of HAL's Vista class ships.

I am concerned that during a peak week Club Hal can't handle the shear number of kids on the cruise.

ANd I am also concerned that some long time HAL cruisers don't think HAL and kids should go together.

Maybe it is becaused I am really stressed out and my family and myself need a vacation. :)

I have not read the whole thread but just want to say that there are some parents in all aspects of our society who do not watch out for their children and keep them out of mischief as well as they should. They let their kids run wild.

To take the leap from parents who let their children wild and disturb other passengers, do damage to the ship, behave rudely to the crew to saying "Club HAL can't handle the shear number of kids on a cruise" is a disconnect IMO

I have read raves on this board about the excellent job Club HAL is doing.

If parents do not enroll their children or if the children do not attend, that is the parents' fault. Why blame HAL for something out of their control?

To say that long time HAL cruisers do not like children is also an unfair statement IMO

Many long time HAL cruisers do not like wild children who are out of control. But loads of people who never cruised HAL or any cruise line do not like children who are out of control and unsupervised/disciplined by their parents. I don't know many people who like that sort of wild brat.

The vast majority of long time HAL cruisers have children/grandchildren/great grandchildren. I am sure most of us love great kids; love good kids; cringe at brats on our cruises.

How about you?

Do you like wild, unsupervised, undisciplined children that you encounter in your life? If your answer is 'No'....we are in agreement. I don't enjoy that sort of child either. Actually, it is their parents I don't particularly care for. ;)

I have no problems with children on board a HAL ship. I think that it's wonderful that a child can visit various ports and gain knowledge of the world. One of my girlfriend took her daughter on a seven day cruise and her daughter gain respect for what she had at home after visiting a local school in Jamaica and Mexico. On my last cruise, I noticed a small group of teens that hung togeter, but they were very polite. They hung out in the back of the lido or on one of the top decks.

What I don't like is the smart mouth,out of control kids. The ones that run down the hall screaming, in the hot tub, sticking their hands in the food,ect. I guess because my parents made sure we knew how to behave.

No matter what cruiseline that you sail one, I know that everyone would agree, if the kids have manners, no problem, if not leave them at home.

Smokin'

Your little girl will be most welcome by my group on the Zuidy March 31. Do not worry one more minute about it!!! For heavens sake kids are people too. Club HAL looks like great fun and we get a kick out of seeing the kids parade around in pirate outfits and stuff.We certainly would not exclude folks on the basis of gender,race or age for that matter. Often times the up there in agers are far more annoying than any kids I have come across.

We will have a wonderful time on OUR cruise!

to heed my mother's advise. Now I've had it.

QUOTE: "As a long time HAL cruiser in my opinion you shoud rethink which line you choose. Many other lines are out there that truly cater to children. Many of the old time cruisers, myself included, think of HAL as an elegant, beautiful getaway where the sounds of running, crying, yelling children are NOT welcome. don't get me wrong I like kids, in there place." I just don't think HAL is the place."

This is such an ignorant post. Your opinion has been heard and rejected, thank you. I suggest you rethink your opinions and attitudes about other people and children. Do not generalize. Do not judge those you do not know. I thought long and hard about which cruise line I chose. I thought long and hard to plan a trip my dh, ds and I would enjoy. HAL seemed like a wise choice this time. I think it still may be depending on how many people with your attitudes and beliefs are on our sailing.

I'm not interested in catering to children. I'm interested in a wonderful vacation for all of us. My son is twelve years old. He is not "catered to". You obviously you think you should be catered to above the rest of society. Do you think you are the only person that finds ignorant children bothersome? Do you think all parents enjoy seeing others' unruly children? Don't you think many parents worry for their children even more in those circumstances and go out of our way to avoid these situations so our children aren't involved? We should avoid YOUR precious cruise line because that's what YOU want? Guess what? You don't own HAL! I suggest you buy your own cruise line and travel solo. Maybe find some people who are clones of yourself. In my opinion as a fellow cruiser and mom you should consider another cruise line.

How completely sad to read comments like yours:mad: . A cruise vacation is a social experience as well as a vacation. You can be with people as much or as little as you choose, but other people of all sizes, ages and ethnicities are THERE. If you don't like it, DON'T CRUISE!

Are we having fun yet?:rolleyes:

Smokin', all kidding aside, things aren't really that bad aboard HAL ships. Kids of all ages aren't running rampant. Yes, there's the occasional ones or two's or one hundred and fifty seven (sorry, couldn't help myself there:o ) who are out of control but, heck, you see them on land in restaurants also. And here's a hot tip: adults of all ages can be a pain in the a$$ also. You live with it, ignore, adapt, overcome and move on.

Go out and enjoy yourself with your family on a great cruise line with, for the most part, nice folks who want to do the same thing. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Kakalina - wow

I am just curious if you have any children?

(I was on the Veendam to Alaska in August and we really didn't see any children. We were told there were 30 but they were well hidden and this was not a port intensive cruise. So, I have never encountered unruly children on a cruise ship but know I am not interested in cruising on NCL - I heard there are tons of children but more turned off after hearing they use paper towels in the public bathrooms and no fresh flowers...)

I thought Hal was trying to cater to families. That is why they have Club Hal...

I still think the problem is the parents.

HAL has been welcoming families as long as I have sailed HAL. The children's program is fabulous. Most, but not all, children love it. Not all children on each ship will ever be present at the HAL CLub at the same time.

HAL is not responsible for the misbehavior of a small minority of adults or children who use the opportunity of cruising to act up/out.

There is a vocal minority that use cruising message boards such as this, to encourage potential family cruisers to seek other cruise lines. That is unfortunate. I think of HAL as an ideal family cruise, especially for multi-generational cruisers, as there is something for everyone and the summer Alaskan sailings prove this, year after year.

Archived