Poolside Music on Noordam?

2boyzmom

They had some music poolside from time to time and every time we were unlucky enough to be near when they started, we ran away.

The band played so beyond loud that is was grueling. I'm not saying they were loud, I'm saying they were impossibly loud.

If I were you, I'd be praying that either that band has left the ship when you are there or that they start handing out earplugs.

One time we came to the taco bar for a snack and had to leave. We couldn't bear standing there long enough to take a little guacamole dip and whatever else. It wasn't worth going deaf.

I agree. the music was LOUD! Sometimes they were playing at the aft pool too. That's where I usually hung out. They played at sail away when we left ports early, so I don't know if they were also at the Lido pool. But LOUD! Very annoying, to say the least.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I think part of the problem is the covered dome which makes it even louder. However, as they say "if it's too loud you're too old", even all the kids who were in the pool with our 6 year old DS were heard saying "boy that is too loud".

I made mention while on the ship and on our comment sheet that for the first time ever on an HAL ship, we found the music all over the place too loud. In the Ocean Bar, there were times we could barely have a conversation over the noise.

I know I sound like an old fuddy duddy but truthfully.......the music was way too loud all over the ship and many peopel agreed. BUT the music at the pool when the live band was playing was beyond ear piercingly, ridiculously loud to the point of deafening.

(Brian, Rev, Ruth, Liz, Gayle, Diane......we all thought the music was not enjoyable at that decimal level.)

What a cool question I hope someone will answer! I also wonder what kinds of music are played? Does the Noordam have a DJ and can you make requests?

It was too bad that the band on the Noordam wasn't better. The singer, in particular, was wayyyy too loud (I hope she doesn't read this...:rolleyes: ) We were on the Oosterdam one year and they had an amazing steel band which played terrific Caribbean tunes at just the right range. It takes a good, experienced band to know what the room can handle in terms of sound level.

The Noordam has a great dj ('Jazzy') who plays a good variety of music in the evenings at the Northern Lights. Yes...he will take requests but on most nights there is a theme (salsa, 70's disco, etc). He is also responsible for putting together a lot of the poolside games, etc. He was in charge of bingo on our cruise but I think he said he was being replaced for that activity. He was on the Maasdam for another one of our cruises and was great fun there as well. There is a champagne strings trio on the Noordam as well. They are from Hungary, I believe. They were decent but not as good as a quartet we heard on the Maasdam. By far our favorite musician on this trip was Kory at the Piano Bar. He is talented, funny and a great singer/pianist. Make sure you stop by and join in on the singalongs! :) There was also a trio (I think:rolleyes: ) in the Ocean Bar...they were just 'ok'. They played mostly dance tunes. I hope you have a wonderful time anticipating your cruise on this beautiful ship!!

One of my highlights on every cruise is the Caribbean music by the pool. The Noordam did not have that. I agree they were way too loud. The music was not my Caribbean favorites, in fact they played very little Caribbean music. The absolute worse was during the BBQ evening when you could not sit at your table and have any conversation. We were yelling at each other and still could not be heard. We ended up leaving.

Jessie and the HAL Cats!

Funny story: Captain Scott comes up and says... "You said you were from Buffalo, is that right? One of our singers, Jessica, is from Buffalo..."

Well, we talked to her for about two minutes before we all realized that she had been in my house playing with my kids- IS THAT NOT A COINCIDENCE?

So I have to give PROPS to Jessie and her HAL Cats- they are great, her voice is wonderful- just two problems:

1. I HOPE they are not still stuck in that little elevated area as big as a hot tub right by the pool. It IS too loud there and they are going to get electrocuted. She can't even move and they are literally right on top of each other.

2. One poster wrote that they only sing five songs. Well, if you take into account the night time gig, it's really about ten.

Neither of these things are the band's fault. On our cruise they had just picked up two new band members. And the poolside thing- not their fault, either.

IMO....it was their fault they ignored all requests to lower the volume.

This was an 11 day cruise and guests repeatedly asked them to tone it down and they never did. I can't imagine why they ignored the audience they were supposed to be entertaining?? Didn't they wish for us to enjoy their music?

Of course, no one can speak for them but themselves. I only pose these questions in case someone gets the message to them it could be helpful for them in the future to know how many of us felt about their volume levels. Or, if they are not hired back, this may tell them why??

Jessie and the HAL Cats!

Funny story: Captain Scott comes up and says... "You said you were from Buffalo, is that right? One of our singers, Jessica, is from Buffalo..."

Well, we talked to her for about two minutes before we all realized that she had been in my house playing with my kids- IS THAT NOT A COINCIDENCE?

So I have to give PROPS to Jessie and her HAL Cats- they are great, her voice is wonderful- just two problems:

1. I HOPE they are not still stuck in that little elevated area as big as a hot tub right by the pool. It IS too loud there and they are going to get electrocuted. She can't even move and they are literally right on top of each other.

2. One poster wrote that they only sing five songs. Well, if you take into account the night time gig, it's really about ten.

Neither of these things are the band's fault. On our cruise they had just picked up two new band members. And the poolside thing- not their fault, either.

Dubbed by many Josie and the Pussy Cats.

Perhaps her voice is wonderful, but who would be able to tell with a) the volume they were set at and b) the way she would scream into the mike.

Their placement in the alcove has nothing to do with how loud it is. They have their own amplifiers. Last I knew, they all come equipped with volume controls. And not only do they use their own equipment, but the music is simultaneously piped through the Lido Pool speakers located all around the overhang inside the pool area. So it is not only too loud next to them, but also too loud in the entire pool area. We ended up avoiding it and sitting elsewhere for lunch...disappointing to say the least. All the other bands we have enjoyed by the pool have used the same alcove, and never before had a problem like we experienced with them.

Can't comment on how many songs they sing. We avoided any venue with them like the plague based on the poolside blarings.

One of my highlights on every cruise is the Caribbean music by the pool. The Noordam did not have that. I agree they were way too loud. The music was not my Caribbean favorites, in fact they played very little Caribbean music. The absolute worse was during the BBQ evening when you could not sit at your table and have any conversation. We were yelling at each other and still could not be heard. We ended up leaving.

We left, too, and ate in the Lido instead. The food at the BBQ wasn't any better than the music. I loved the Noordam cruise, but this event could have been left off my itinerary!

Jessie and the HAL Cats!

IMO....it was their fault they ignored all requests to lower the volume.

They were playing in the Crow's Nest before sail-away on the Jan. 6th cruise. I headed up there to spend a few minutes before I left for a party.

They were so painfully loud that I walked in and straight out. They were awful! There's no need to make passengers deaf. I never went back to the Crow's Nest (nighttime) for the rest of the cruise.

It was too bad that the band on the Noordam wasn't better. The singer, in particular, was wayyyy too loud (I hope she doesn't read this...:rolleyes: ) We were on the Oosterdam one year and they had an amazing steel band which played terrific Caribbean tunes at just the right range. It takes a good, experienced band to know what the room can handle in terms of sound level.

The Noordam has a great dj ('Jazzy') who plays a good variety of music in the evenings at the Northern Lights. Yes...he will take requests but on most nights there is a theme (salsa, 70's disco, etc). He is also responsible for putting together a lot of the poolside games, etc. He was in charge of bingo on our cruise but I think he said he was being replaced for that activity. He was on the Maasdam for another one of our cruises and was great fun there as well. There is a champagne strings trio on the Noordam as well. They are from Hungary, I believe. They were decent but not as good as a quartet we heard on the Maasdam. By far our favorite musician on this trip was Kory at the Piano Bar. He is talented, funny and a great singer/pianist. Make sure you stop by and join in on the singalongs! :) There was also a trio (I think:rolleyes: ) in the Ocean Bar...they were just 'ok'. They played mostly dance tunes. I hope you have a wonderful time anticipating your cruise on this beautiful ship!!

Thanks for the information, I can't wait!

Much as I refuse to criticize Jessie, I will say this:

I HATE loud music... and the band on the Norwegian Spirit- both cruises- was so great. Nice, gentle reggae/Caribbean music, great singer, NOT loud. I have to say again that while the Spirit is bare bones on some levels the sailaway parties- every day, every port- are excellent.

Jessie and the HC's signed on again- until October '07- so if any future cruisers are as bothered as everyone else was they should SAY something. It might help. She did ask me to write that the microscopic podium by the pool was awkward and unsafe. Which I did.

We had one gentleman approach us when he saw DH wearing a CC shirt. He said:

"If you are a critic, please put in your review that I am 75, and everyone else appears to be my age, and we HATE canned music in every room! Please put that!"

Amen to that- and I'm 44. I hate it, too. It's either annoying or it's some depressing song with bad memories attached to it. Although I must have heard "Witchcraft" "Luck be a Lady" and 10 other Sinatra tunes 50 times- and I love them!

I have to agree about the poolside music on the Noordam. It was LOOOOUUUUDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And some times indecipherable, and always bad. No fun Caribbean, steel drum-type music to help you feel the rhythm of the islands. Very disappointing.

Jessie and the Hal Cats - what type of music?

I almost want to laugh hysterically or just scream at the mere mention of the name, which sounds like a choice made by a really bad wedding band, imho. ;)

FWIW, on the Princess board tons of people rave about Bert Stratton on the CB, labeling themselves as "Bertified". I listened to a few cuts on his website and he did absolutely nothing for me. I then realized that my opinion was shared by many.

What are your opinions of J and the HC? Googled the name, but found nothing.

Karen

Jessie and the Hal Cats - what type of music?

I almost want to laugh hysterically or just scream at the mere mention of the name, which sounds like a choice made by a really bad wedding band, imho.

Karen

What kind of music... daytime, Lido: "Hot, Hot, Hot!" and other annoying songs... Nighttime: Lounge-type music- really, anything you request that is on their song list, which seems to be pretty long.

The name of the band is really cheesy, I'll give you that!

Her voice is great.

My husband enjoys hanging out by the pool listening to carribean bands. Is there live music poolside on sea days??

Unless something has changed the band usually plays for an 1 to 1 1/2 hours around lunch time in the Lido pool area. That's about it.

Archived