What's the fish safe sunscreen?

jayscore

I just bought some today at Academy Sports called SmartShield which claims to be "eco-friendly & Marine safe." According to their website it "won't harm marine life and can be used in protected water habitats....Unlile most sunscreens, Smartshield is approved for use in natural marine habitats. It won't contaminate marine life and is bio-degradable." It cost $7.99 for a 4 oz. bottle of SPF 30.

Do fish sunburn?:D

It's catching the durn fish to put the sun block on them that is so hard, let them get sun burned :rolleyes:

I thought the OP meant water proof sun block, but I didn't think of eco friendly sun block. Is it also water proof so it doesnt wash off in the water like Bull Frog?

Hi,

We were told this is a way to sell you overpriced sunscreen at the park (if you bring your own you won't buy theirs) We put ours in very good thick ziplock bags and bury it in our bags. We save old sunscreen bottles and put in some hotel cheap lotion. When they bother you at the entrance to turn in your sunscreen we hand them our "garbage sunscreen bottle" and they let you through. We don't use theirs which I am told is just regular sunscreen, nothing special just repackaged in Mexico to charge the "stupid tourists" It is similar to the charge of $10.00 to use your video camera in Mexico or the table set up outside the bathrooms to charge you money to use the dirty bathroom without TP. Mexicans set up alot of "little taxes" for tourists that will hand over their money to avoid a hassles on vacation.

Actually, there is some evidence that the chemicals in most sunscreens harm the protective membranes on the coral reefs, causing severe damage that can lead to the demise of the reef over time.

When a marine area asks you to wear bio-degradeable sunblock, they're not doing it to make a buck. They're doing it so that the beautiful things you've traveled so far to see will be available for future generations.

Hi,

We were told this is a way to sell you overpriced sunscreen at the park (if you bring your own you won't buy theirs) We put ours in very good thick ziplock bags and bury it in our bags. We save old sunscreen bottles and put in some hotel cheap lotion. When they bother you at the entrance to turn in your sunscreen we hand them our "garbage sunscreen bottle" and they let you through. We don't use theirs which I am told is just regular sunscreen, nothing special just repackaged in Mexico to charge the "stupid tourists" It is similar to the charge of $10.00 to use your video camera in Mexico or the table set up outside the bathrooms to charge you money to use the dirty bathroom without TP. Mexicans set up alot of "little taxes" for tourists that will hand over their money to avoid a hassles on vacation.

Hmmmmm, not 100% sure and neither should you be unless you research the facts. The truth is that sunscreens are't exactly healthy for human use, so I imagine they are detrimental to sea life as well. I'd use the ones that claim to be 'fish safe' if asked...I think it's irresponsible to do other wise.

Archived