Miracle Review 02/25-03-04 (very long!!)

seanamy01

It took me until now to write my post because I am still rocking. Got "dock rock" really bad. Just to start this was my 5th cruise (3rd on Carnival) and boyfriends 1st cruise ever. We are mid 30's.

We left Sunday am from Cleveland. We left in an ice storm and I think we were extremely lucky to get to Florida at all. Would definitely leave a day early next time to avoid all the panic and being up the entire night before just worrying. Note: we did hear several people missed the ship and had to fly into Grand Cayman to meet ship on Tuesday.

We had transfers already with Carnival to get to the ship but it seems it would have been easier/faster to just grab a cab. Port is not that far from Tampa airport. I tried to cx the transfers but it was too close to cruising date so they couldn't be cx'd. We stayed a day later after the Cruise and just took a cab to Chase Suites hotel.

I was really looking forward to my boyfriends face when he saw the ship in port; however, the ship was blocked mostly by the port itself so he really couldn't get an idea of how large it was. Bummer!

Embarkation: note we landed in Florida about 1145a and missed the 12n transfer to the ship. Had to wait for the 1245p one so we did not get to the port until about 130p. Smooth embarkation. Lines kept moving. Extremely organized. Probably on ship by 2pm.

This ship is beautiful. Large but easy to get around. We had a balcony cabin very back of the ship on veranda deck. It only had 1 chair on it though. Bummer.

Food: Is everywhere, any kind you want. Almost at times I felt there was too much food, lol.

Dining room: We had early seating. I don't recommend it. It is too early and we had food coma (lol) afterwards which put a damper on our nightlife! Dining room staff was awesome. Slow at times but that did not bother me. I role with the punches. I'm on vacation where do I have to go. Only a couple of nights did they do singing and dancing. Wish they did that more. Also with early seating the shows and bars didn't get started until 9/930p so we would go back to our cabin after dinner and start relaxing and then fall asleep half the time. Oh well, we were on vacation!

Nick and Nora's: Did this on Tuesday night. Very beautiful and elegant. I let our waiter in the main dining room know that we would not be there that night so he would not have my wine waiting for me. When I was asked by Nick and Nora's staff what I wanted to drink I told them I had a bottle of wine and was told I could have it brought to Nick and Nora's. It seemed like I was inconveinencing them to go get it but when I said okay I will just have water she looked into it and brought it. Nick and Nora's is nice but really the dining room is so good that I don't think I need to do a supper club especially when you figure it's $30p/p and tips. It's $100 you could save.

Spa/gym: Had hair done for 1st formal night. Excellent job. Good experience. During our conversation I mentioned that we had a balcony but only 1 chair on it she told me I had to tell someone. Even though I didn't tell anyone the next day when we got back from touring grand cayman there was another chair and small table. She must have told someone. Awesome! The gym was excellent. Lots of equipment I thought. Did the treadmill 3x during the week. 2x at 6am and 1x at 4pm before dinner. Neither time did I have a problem getting a machine.

Excursions: In Grand Cayman did the City tour to Hell, Turtlefarm and Tortuga Rum Cake factory. Good tour but very hot day. No complaints here since I'm from Cleveland! Cozumel: did the Atlantis submarine which was very nice as well. I'm no scuba diver so it was neat to see under the water without having to get in it. Belize: just took the tender over to see what was there. Had lunch at the Wet Lizard so we could try Belikin beer which is made there. Both were very good. As you can see we were very subdued and layed back this week. Next time I would do an excusion here for sure. We were just exhausted for some reason. Still in hibernation mode I suppose. Costa Maya: Sun shining but ship was rocking. The waves were too high to dock. I was looking forward to this port because I wanted to go to a beach but we had to move on and have another fun day at sea. Also, each person got a $25 credit to their accounts for missing the port. I really did not expect anything so this was a pleasant surprise. I had been to all these ports before except Belize so that might also be why I was so layed back.

Not sure what else to say here: This was a very nice cruise, did a lot of relaxing. Three pools on the ship but they were rather small. I looked all around and did not see a topless deck. Not that I wanted to use it but to let you all know if there was one or not. Entertainment we saw was good. Lots of bars and many activities. Don't know how anyone could get bored. Room steward was friendly but did only what he had to do. Hardly ever put ice in our ice bucket even if we left 1/2 bottle of beer in it. I didn't expect anything but you can tell when people do what they have to and when they strive to do more. It seemed that way with our waiter in the dining room too. Don't know if this had something to do with tips already being added to your account. They know they are getting it so they are not working extra hard for it. In the spa it seemed the lady that did my hair was going above and beyond and I left her a nice tip. Also the Matre'd's tips are not included and he seemed to come around all the time asking how things were as if he was looking for a tip at the end. I am not complaining at all just making note of what I saw or felt. I do wish they would let you do your own tipping at the end instead of it already being on your bill. It feels more personal doing it on your own.

Our ship also got to do a Rescue at Sea. There was a small boat in distress and requesting fuel so since the Miralce was the closest ship we got to help it out. That was neat. Something you don't do on every cruise.

All in all, GREAT VACATION!! Would sail Miracle and Carnival in a heartbeat!!

Any questions, pls ask.

amy

Amy, Were you in the aft of the ship? i have just booked an aft cabin on the Panorama deck. I read that the wake is noisy when sailing. did you find this to be true? i have sailed the miracle in the past but never a balcony.

TIA

joyce

joyce,

we had cabin 7349. very end of the ship looking out at where you had been. I have always loved sitting out on the balcony and seeing the entire ocean behind you. Awesome feeling. No, I don't think the noise was ever a problem. The motion of the ship also seemed to be the same in the back as everywhere else on the ship. Oh, don't forget to try the chocolate melting cake for desert in the main dining room. We miss it already. Looking online for a recipe right now. Did you book early or late seating? I would really suggest later seating.

Thanks for the review Amy. Was the extra tipping at Nick and Nora's required? I was told by previous cruisers that the only fee was $30. pp with tip included. Just curious as we would like to try it at least once on our cruise next January. Thanks again.

our cabin stewards name was Jose. Don't get me wrong he was very friendly and you will like him; however, I just did not get the feeling that he was working extra or doing any more than he had to. I understand he had a lot of rooms (even though he told us he had less rooms the week we were on ship that other weeks) to tend to and all staff work extremely hard. Also, I could have left him a note that I would like another chair and table on the balconly, ice bucket refilled (even when we left a half bottle of beer in it he did not always put ice in it) and room bar unlocked but I really am not one to complain.

boyfriend liked the cruise but did not come home with the addiction like I had after my first cruise;however, I'm sure he will cruise again in a heartbeat.

nick and nora's: they give you a check just like a local restaurant would do and there is a space for gratuity so we put in $20. I guess you don't have to but it just seemed like we were supposed to. It was like going to the spa when you knew what the price would be ahead but they always leave room for you to add a tip so you normally do. Really, the dining room is just a great if you ask me.

Archived