Frozen Watermelon Pie--

a1moty

Just returned from the Zaandam and the bread pudding that you all talked out was delicious--although, my all time favorite desert was the FROZEN WATERMELON PIE. It was served just one time in the dining room. I didn't even see it at the Desert Extravaganza, darn it!! Does anyone have a recipe for this yummy treat?? Perhaps it is something that is common in your neck of the woods. My next cruise may be booked solely on whether or not they have Frozen Watermelon Pie on the menu. :)

This is quite a come down from HAL cuisine, but I know that for years Friendly's had a watermelon pie made with various sherbets. I can't remember what the seeds were. All I can think of is chocolate chips, and I don't think they would go very well with sherbet.

Jemima Jr. and I look forward to this. The seeds are similar to chocolate chips which we think go well with the rest of the "pie". This dessert seems to be one that some look forward to and others dislike.

Could this be it?

Watermelon Ice Cream Pie

24 graham cracker squares

1/4 cup corn oil margarine

1 cup watermelon

1 qt. Vanilla ice cream, softened

Blend four crackers on low speed 10-15 seconds or until fine crumbs form. Empty into medium bowl. Repeat process with remaining crackers. In small saucepan melt margarine. Remove from heat. Add to cracker crumbs; mix until crumbs form ball. Press mixture into 9" pie plate. Refrigerate 1 hour. Place watermelon in blender container. Cover. Blend on low speed 30 seconds. Swirl mixture through ice cream. Firmly pack ice cream into crust. Cover. Freeze several hours or until firm. Makes one 9" pie.

Thanks Anngie for the recipe--I will have to try it to be sure---(and I will use the chocolate graham crackers for the crust.

Clopaw-the seeds are chocolate chips--but in the teardrop seed shape---

it was heaven.

Mary Ellen-I didn't notice if it was sugar free--but if it was, what a bonus!!

Right after our cabin steward--I miss that pie!!!

• 7 years later...

This was my husband's all-time favourite dessert on the Zuiderdam in December. He loooooved it. I made the decision, having eaten a chilled soup as an entre to try something else but I regretted that.

I don't know what the recipe is but if anyone ever posts it, we would be grateful. That recipe already posted doesn't seem write. There were a few different flavours of sorbet. And I really don't think it was a sugar-free dessert.

Welcome to CC......

What fun your first post is reviving a thread from more than 7 years ago.

How in the world did you find it? Were you specifically looking for something about this dessert? :)

Hope someone comes up with the recipe for everyone to enjoy!

Well looks like I am going to have to make friends of the Chef on Noordam in 2 months:D This is one of the few recipes I did not get from Mr Tom on Zuiderdam.....

If y'all email me your requests I will keep a list and ask for those specifically and post them on my Recipes site when I get home:)

WOW, SwissMyst I never even looked at the date of the OP. I just assumed this was a new thread. But hey, that's ok because I have another hunting espedition now:) :)

Joanie

Actually, I had googled Frozen Watermelon Pie to see if there was a recipe online and the second search result was this thread. So I posted and only realized later the last post before mine was 2004!!

Thanks for the quick replies and if you can somehow snag a recipe, that would be awesome. And if you have the brie and onion pastry thing recipe, I would LOVE that one! It was an appetizer on the last night when the crew puts on a show in the dining room.

<snip>

WOW, SwissMyst I never even looked at the date of the OP. I just assumed this was a new thread. But hey, that's ok because I have another hunting espedition now:) :)

Joanie

You seem to confuse us from time to time, Joanie, but I'm

"sail". :D

Actually, I had googled Frozen Watermelon Pie to see if there was a recipe online and the second search result was this thread. So I posted and only realized later the last post before mine was 2004!!

Thanks for the quick replies and if you can somehow snag a recipe, that would be awesome. And if you have the brie and onion pastry thing recipe, I would LOVE that one! It was an appetizer on the last night when the crew puts on a show in the dining room.

I have found one Baked Brie Recipe so far. It is for 100 servings, so you'll have to make the conversion(s)

Anyway If this is not what you want let me know and I will keep looking through my more than 2500 recipes from HAL (though this sounds like what we had in the MDR and maybe they moved it from PG to MDR since the recipe came out in 2005)

HOLLAND AMERICA

Pinnacle Grill

MENU ITEM: Appetizer – Golden Baked Brie ORIGINAL DATE:

DIRECTORY: REVISION DATE: March 12, 05

Flavor:

Appearance:

Texture:

Sensitivity:

Service Dishware:

Recommended Accompaniment:

Shelf Life: Yield: Yield: Serves 100

Ingredients 1 portion Product Specs

Brie (1 quarter 4 oz. of weight) 25 pounds

Flour, as needed

Basic Egg Wash, as needed – see recipe

Hazelnut Bread Crumbs 10 pounds

Hazelnut Bread Crumbs:

Panko Crumbs 7 ½ pounds

Butter, at room temperature 3 pounds

Kosher Salt 2 tablespoons

Hazelnuts, crushed 10 pounds

Mix all well together in the robot coupe- do not make it too fine – keep it coarse

Apple Cranberry Chutney – see recipe 5 quarts

Frizzled Onions – see recipe 6 pounds

Alfalfa Sprouts 100 bunches

Radish Roses 100 each

Carrot Curls 100 each

Red Cabbage and Carrot Confetti 5 cups

FOR SERVICE:

TO PREP:

Dip cheese pieces in flour to lightly coat, then into egg wash, then coat well in hazelnut breadcrumbs to completely cover all surfaces.

Place on sheet pan 2" apart; cover and chill THOROUGHLY.

Fry brie in small batches in a preheated 400 degree F deep fryer until golden brown, about 1 ½ - 2 minutes, being sure Serve immediately and DO NOT LET SIT in stem table and become soggy!! ONLY COOK what you need!!

Present the dish according to the picture. NOT TO OVERCOOK, or cheese will start to OOZE OUT!!

Joanie

This was my husband's all-time favourite dessert on the Zuiderdam in December. He loooooved it. I made the decision, having eaten a chilled soup as an entre to try something else but I regretted that.

I don't know what the recipe is but if anyone ever posts it, we would be grateful. That recipe already posted doesn't seem write. There were a few different flavours of sorbet. And I really don't think it was a sugar-free dessert.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We can all research the web and find "a" recipe but when people request a particular recipe for something they ate on board, they want "the" recipe.

There are dozens of baked brie recipes but is the baked brie HAL serves?

That, IMO, is the point of asking for the recipe here on a HAL cruise BB.

Maybe others disagree but why would they bother to ask when all they would have to do is google and find "a" recipe.

That's my point.

If someone posts here they want a recipe for something they ate on the ship, most are not looking for 'looks like it' recipe..... if someone doesn't have THE recipe they should not post something in it's place IMO

Either it is a HAL recipe or it is not.

In the days when I used to do a lot of cooking an entertaining, it was very irritating for someone to provide me with a recipe they represented to be other than what it really was. It was a waste of my time, work and expense to expect one outcome but to not get it because of having been given a recipe that was not from 'that' restaurant or that 'person's' special recipe collection.

It should be abundantly clear if it is a HAL Recipe.

IMO

Archived