Transatlantic crusing?

virginia600

One should pack a few more warmish kind of clothes and not pack just as one would for a Caribbean cruise. It can get cool when one is out on the Atlantic. For my upcoming Amsterdam crossing, I will be taking more long slacks for daily wear than I normally would for a warm weather cruise.

Expect a probably more diverse program of activities. Speakers, often with AV presentations, usually are booked for the longer cruises.

Most of all--at least for me--anticipate those delightful continuous days at sea, curled up in a deck chair, wrapped in a deck blanket, if so needed, with a good book.

What you take depends on if you're sailing the southern Atlantic and going to the med or north Atlantic going to northern Europe. If you have port stops in Iceland, Greenland or the Faroes you need to prepare for chilly weather ( even in Nova Scotia and NewFoundland Canada). If you're going to the British isles bring rain gear especially for Scotland and Ireland. Norway can get quite cold but the Baltic will be comfortable.

When we crossed eastbound in 2003 we had lots of rain and very chilly weather crossing in July. 2 weeks after we got home there was a heat wave in Europe. We wore jackets and were in fog from Boston to Iceland and didn't take jackets off until France on day 14 of a 17 day cruise. In 2004 we sailed 6 weeks earlier (June 5) and it wasn't much different. We had snow in northern Norway. Plan to dress in layers and don't forget the umbrella if you're staying north.

GN

On an eastbound transatlantic you lose five or six hours during the crossing which means lots of 23 hour days. On a westbound transatlantic you add those five or six hours which means lots of 25 hour days. I've done two westbounds and am booked for my third in November on the Prinsendam.

For fall westbound transatlantics on the southern route the weather on the crossing is more likely to be smooth and balmy later in November and in December. October is still hurricane season and even if there is no actual hurricane during the crossing the weather can be squally and the seas bouncy.

Fall weather in Europe can be very changable; sunny and warm one day, then cold and stormy the next. Then during the crossing the weather will get warmer day by day.

For the best entertainment on a transatlantic cruise look for the HAL big band cruises. There is usually one in spring and one in fall. They are very popular and sell out early.

Bill

SailorBill,

I was hoping for a big band cruise on our westbound Oct 5th but it's not being advertised this year. I don't think they had them in 2006 either.

This will be our first southern crossing as the other 3 were northern. We did do a b2b from NY in 2004 and we do prefer the extra hour of sleep westbound. The first northern eastbound had some crazy time changes, a half hour in NewFoundland, then an hour ahead and back between LeHavre and Dover. I was certainly glad to see the pillow notes to confirm the changes as some were not routine.

Will there be a big band cruise on Prinsendam in November? We considered this cruise and preferred the itinerary but went ahead with Westerdam as it sails on DH's birthday.

GN

We are doing the Maasdam northern tier (Rotterdam/Iceland/Boston) in late

July. We have been excited except now it seems fog, rain, can you see icebergs? whales? Iceland's geysers? Or is it as chilly as it sounds. We were hoping for more sights and less frigidness in July.... Hopefully, margretha:cool:

We are doing the Maasdam northern tier (Rotterdam/Iceland/Boston) in late

July. We have been excited except now it seems fog, rain, can you see icebergs? whales? Iceland's geysers? Or is it as chilly as it sounds. We were hoping for more sights and less frigidness in July.... Hopefully, margretha:cool:

I've done this route round-trip three times, plus west-bound once.

Yes, it can be chilly, but I have had warm days, too. I usually pack a flat-knit sweater, a sweatshirt or two, and a windbreaker. Layering those is enough even under the worst of circumstances.

I have also worn my sundresses/muumuus---sometimes with the windbreaker, sometime not.

There's a good chance for icebergs in St. Anthony, and definitely some in Greenland (you are going to Greenland, aren't you?:) ). Geysers in Iceland is easy.

Fog? Some is almost for sure. Every day is a possibility---I had 34 consecutive days of it on the '04 cruise! :eek: But it's also highly unlikely you'll have it all day every day. There will also be times of brilliant sunshine and the cleanest air you've ever breathed.

In any case this is a lovely cruise that I could take over and over again. Oh, wait. I have! :D

Hello All

Thank you for all the good information about the west bound transatlantic. we plan to take the Veendam from Copenhagen to New York in late August via Iceland and Greenland.

Do you have any advice about getting sea sick. We prefer the Neptune level (don't we all), but a recent trip in the Caribbean suggested we would be thrown all over the ship.

What advice do you seasoned travelers have?

Thanks

Josephone

We always book a port side balcony for our west bound transatlantic's and starboard side for the east bound. This would be to maximize the amount of sunlight we will get during the day.

How POSH!

;)

After reading Josephone's thread I am somewhat apprehensive about being in a suite which we booked for this cruise. We were in a suite on the Veendam last Sept (Alaska cruise) with smooth seas - I now wonder how much we will be tossed around on this No.European cruise? Perhaps a cabin lower down would have been a better choice?......:confused:

Our roughest seas in 2003 were in the English channel heading for Guernsey in July. We did not stop there as it was to be a tender port but went on to France.

In 2004 we had an extra day in Amsterdam due to winds and rain. The problem was getting back out to sea through the locks. We missed Harwich and Plymouth and went on to Dublin. We were on the Veranda deck both times (deck 6) and didn't mind the motion there but we had dinner in the penthouse the night before the scheduled Guernsey stop and were tossed to kingdom come, of course the wine didn't help but we had fun.

As I've said before, the north Atlantic is a crapshoot as far as winds and waves but we love the crossings.

Ruth could, and does, really tell some stories of her adventures and they are very interesting. Ask her.

We'd do it again. This next time is the southern crossing in hurricane season, hmmm

GN

If you're doing the North Atlantic that includes Iceland and Greenland, you might want to do a search for a trip report by WCB, who did the Maasdam roundtrip last year. It's a detailed, day-by-day journal, was interesting reading and should give you a fairly good feel for cruising in that area. Can't remember the title or date but I think you can search by threads started by a poster and find it that way.

Ruth could, and does, really tell some stories of her adventures and they are very interesting. Ask her.

Picture it: August '03, a dark, cold, dreary Sunday sailing out of Nuuk, Greenland at 2:00 PM. By 3:00 PM I knew we were heading for trouble. We spent the next 38 hours in 45' seas with force 9 (or 10, I forget) winds. And this was after the captain changed course to get out of the worst part of the storm!

I spent part of Monday sitting in the Lido listening to stacks of dishes crash to the floor. Repeatedly. I started to wonder if we would run out! Water breeched the upper decks and flooded the show lounge.

When the seas finally calmed down I was so used to it that I awoke to see what was the matter! It was 4:00 AM Tuesday.

What a ride! :eek:

But I've crossed one way or the other seven times. The other crossings had a storm or two, but nothing to speak of. At least one was smooth as glass.

Boring! :rolleyes:

Hi, Susan. Don't know if you have already made your plans, but there has been a change in the free checked luggage when flying between cities in Europe. So, if you plan to do so, you may want to check with your airline. Most have the following rules for flying within Europe:

first class - no problem, same 2 checked bags

coach - 1 checked bag, 50 lbs. (KLM alows 44 lbs)

fly between US/Europe with same airline taking within Europe & can have 2 checked bags, 50 lbs each.

extra charge for about 20 lbs (coach & not international) is $250-$300

So, the above restriction eliminates a lot of extra clothes that are just for the cruise, unless one chooses to fly 1st class or pay the extra fee.

Don't know if you have been to Europe before, but even if you have, hope you get to spend some time there after the cruise. Airfare between cities is usually only about $100 pp or less one way & the trains are good & inexpensive transportaion.

Also, if you have booked or are planning to do so, be sure to join the "Roll Call" board on Cruise Critic. Will get lots of good info & meet some great folks.

Lastly, MaxJet has a sale going on & all of their seats are business (same as first) class. $450-$600 one way.

Good luck on whatever you plan.

Archived