Temperature on board

aussieg

Inside the ship it will be pretty much like any other cruise: comfortable for most people, too chilly for some, and too warm for others! :D DW and I always think ship dining rooms are too cold, but others like it that way.

Outside you're going to need a light jacket (or more) anyway, so bring something that will serve multiple purposes.

You may need more than a light jacket in May for on deck glacier viewing and shorex. We wore lands end winter jackets on our September trip to Alaska from Seattle. (same itinerary as Noordam) It gets pretty chilly amidst all that ice. I'm not sure about rain in May, probably less than September, but take rain gear anyway, you may even need it in Seattle for the "liquid sunshine".

GN

Sorry as I have never been on a cruise before I was asking what the temperature is onboard the ship I know this is probably a stupid question

Not stupid at all, just difficult to answer. Few (if any) of us pack a thermometer so generally you'll just get people's impressions:

* the cabin was hot/cold/warm/frigid/stifling

* the dining room was tepid/a hothouse/a freezer/drafty

* the pools are soupy/glacial/too hard/too soft

There will be a thermostat in your cabin so that there'll be some adjustment possible. Otherwise, the ship will be at a temperature deemed comfortable for people in indoor wear.

The best advise is to pack for layering - so you can add/shed garments without either risking embarrassment or looking like Nanook of the North.

Have a great cruise!

The dining room can sometimes be quite cool. If you're planning to wear a sleeveless dress bring a wrap. If the roof is open on the forward lido deck and you're planning to eat out there instead of in the enclosed Lido restaurant you may need a sweater. We wore sweaters and sweatshirts on board ship almost all the time in Alaska in September. May can be equally cool.

GN

Dress in layers. Outside on deck you'll need a light jacket some days and more than that others. Inside the common areas of the ship can be very uncomfortably warm. My husband had a very hard time keeping his suit coat on during dinner or shows.

Archived