How many cruisers utilize message boards before their cruise?

fig414

How many cruisers utilize message boards before their cruise?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. How many cruisers utilize message boards before their cruise?

• 0-10%
    • 10-25%
    • 25-50%
    • 50-75%
    • Over 75%

Amy, it's interesting that you mention this. I have been amazed at veteran cruisers I've met (who have far greater experience than I) who are oblivious to things we all are routinely up to speed on. I have gained so much from the great folks who post on the boards. I know I've saved a lot of time, money, and aggrivation by learning what to do and what not to do on our cruise vacations. I feel it's less than 10% of a typical ship's population who are users of this resource.

On my cruise I am going to ask my tablemates (when we have them) if they use any boards ahead of time. I'm with the big majority here and I'm betting you guys are right.

I'm with those who think it's 1 - 2%. I also think that it might be higher for those just going on Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruises, lower for those who take Mediterranean, Hawaiian or exotic cruises. Those cruisers tend to be older and less message board-savvy.

I would bet it's more like 2%...maybe less.

Just look at the roll calls, it's a great roll call if you can find 20 people...and that's out of 2000+ on a ship.

Hi Desertbelle! I understand your point and I'd vote for less than 2%, but I'm not sure I would base that vote on participation in roll calls. I'm a faithful poster and read the boards but I don't participate in roll calls. Perhaps some who post and others who just read the boards join the CC social gatherings. I'm sure they are fun and it's nothing personal, it's just me...and my flame retardent suit is now snuggly in place. ;)

I found this board three years ago and would never go on a cruise without checking with you guys first. Our Alaskan cruise was wonderful because of all the helpful hints we received. The people in the cabin next to us obviously did not use the board. While we were cruising through Glacier Bay, they were complaining how cold it was. They were in a mini suite and never went out on their balcony. The only clothes they brought were "cruise wear". No sweatshirts or raingear.

There are different kinds of travellers. I think the introverts tend to frequent boards like this in order to feel more comfortable in new surroundings. That's me, in any case.

My SO, on the other hand, is a total extrovert, and couldn't give a flying you-know-what about getting info in advance. Part of the fun for him is the adventure of seeing what transpires during the trip, and getting his info from the locals right in the moment. The funny thing is, he ends up seeing all the same things that I do with all of my advance info! Granted, I do make a better tour guide, and have the road-map of every city memorized in advance! If we're going to Italy, I take a course in Italian before we go. He learns it while we are there, on the street!

I hate to stereotype people on message boards, but my experience with others who, like me, tend to arm themselves with loads of info before they go, is that they are introverted and need to feel comfortable in their surroundings to let loose.

After all, look at all the obssessive questions that are asked on this website (including by me) - and the people that answer them! I mean, who REALLY needs to know in advance whether the Personal Choice dining rooms open at 6 or 6:15? How much a Coke Card costs? Will they pack a picnic lunch for you? (my question) Whether to tip $20 or $22 to your cabin steward? If the second formal night is on Wednesday or Thursday? Whether you put your luggage tags on before you board the plane or after? All this could be learned in the moment, and without a care in the world. CC people need to know this inadvance.

This board is full of obssessive people - the posts alone are enough to confirm that, whether from the newbies like myself, or the resident gurus, dispensing wisdom like Oracles of Delphi and speaking their own coded language, answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over again - what are the merits of a balcony cabin? - while never tiring of it! How do you do it? From whence commeth the patience? Is it any wonder the martini thread was so popular? But there is nothing wrong with that. Obssessive travellers are a certain breed. Everyone is different, and it's great that there is a place like this for us obssesives. For some of us "the obssession's in the chasing and not the apprehending."

I feel a bit guilty, because I know that I have used you, and appreciate all of the info, but after my cruise I know that I will be gone. BUT I promise that I will be back to give a cruise report of my first cruise. It's the least I can do.

This CC subculture is one of many on the internet, and will make a good sermon illustration some day. Don't worry, I won't mention any names, and in keeping with CC guidlines, will not give a link to any TA's in my sermon!

carquay

Archived