Amsterdam: Info on ship!

jschutz

Am considering a 3/30/05 Rio to Santiago cruise on the Amsterdam. Is this a ship in good condition?? Would anyone reccomend this ship. I love the itinerary, just worried about the ship. We got burned on NCL's Norweigan Dream and don't want to make the same mistake. Any help from recent Amsterdam cruisers would be helpful. We would do a balcony, so some help on cabin selection would also be helpful. Thanks :D

j: have no fear-the Amsterdam is a co-flagship of HAL's fleet! We sailed on her a 2nd time last December-January on a Valparaiso to Rio trip via Antarctica, and it was the best cruise experience we have ever had, with 7 prior cruises under our belts. The Amsterdam was flawless and her crew was top notch. She is well appointed, well maintained and very comfortable, and she is our favorite ship. I you have any specific questions, ask away!

We have cruised on the old Westerdam, the Veendam, Maasdam and twice on the Amsterdam(fall of 2002 and spring of 2003). We have also cruised on Princess and RCCL.

The Amsterdam is our favorite ship of all. It is HAL's co-flagship and is kept in immaculate shape.

We had excellent service in the dining room and the food was very good. I think the buffet in the Lido Restaurant is one of the best I have ever had.

The service is very good to excellent all over the ship. We were in an S Class suite and really enjoyed the Nepture Lounge.

There are plenty of activities and lots of great places to just sit and enjoy the scenery.

We going on the Oosterdam on August 28 and will probably do the Amsterdam next year.

Took a December 2003 trip from Rio to Santiago on the Amsterdam! It was a truly wonderful ship!!! Outstanding crew, at that time the Capt. was Peter Harris who we enjoy very much. We were also lucky enough to cruise in a Suite, and we loved the Neptune and Veronica, our concierge!

You will love this trip!!! We'd do it again in a heartbeat!:cool:

When I sailed the Amsterdam in 2001, she instantly became my favorite ship. She's spacious, well appointed, she's a great ship. I think you will enjoy her as much as I have. I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

We did that cruise on the Amsterdam in December 2003. As the others have said the ship is a dream. We have cruised on the Vista class HAL vessels but prefer the Amsterdam and the small S class ships.

The itinerary is very varied and exciting. We did have some reservations about some shore excursions - didn't get what was promised. The worst was the Antartic fly over for $1000 per person- bad weather so couldn't fly to Antartica but as it was a non-refundable flight we got a $100 refund and flew over the cape and some parks. Lunch was good at least.

Glad to hear this. I am going to book Alaska for next year. My husband wants to go to Alaska and play poker. I found a website that does poker cruises and this was the ship. I hope there are activities for my teenagers.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill

I am on the 12/15/04 Amsterdam cruise and I am wondering if I should take more winter clothes rather than summer ones on board. I realise that I will need warm clothing for shore excursions and outside on the deck.

What temperature is maintained while cruising around the southern parts of South America - warm enough for light clothes?

I am looking so forward to the cruise - from all accounts it sounds amazing.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Carolyn

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Schutz,

I can tell you that I am in contact with three different couples who are now sailing the Amsterdam docking at Valparaiso. All the e-mail reports are of the highest standard. I have never looked into a ship as much as I have done this one. Taking two lady friends and I want everything just right. I have them booked in a category "A" like yourselves (I have your cabin #).

Please keep an eye on the Roll Call and try to bump up our thread when ever possible. Just ask a silly question please.:confused: The Roll Call thread is under Amsterdam ( Roy C ) and he will be doing the CC out of Rio. I will board in Valparaiso after touring Buenos Aires, Montevideo and area. Also have two others from your area that will do Rio-San Diego. Hope this gives you a bit of info and I know you WILL enjoy yourselves. I do look forward to meeting you both. Happy Sailing...Leslie Swiger:)

I have not sailed her yet but those who have told me she is even classier than the Rotterdam. She and the Rotterdam are the flagships of the line and let me tell you something: If the Amsterdam is classier than the Rotterdam you have chosen a good ship. I have been on the Rotterdam and I love the ship.

Himself

Just off the Amsterdam last month...

She's in wonderful condition and the crew are fabulous!:)

However the vibration can get pretty bad - especially near the stern, so avoid her aft staterooms and suites.

If traveling in a suite and you enjoy taking baths, then avoid #s 7047 & 7050-7058 (at the stern) as they have no tubs - shower only! Also avoid 7056 and 7055 - these are aft facing outside staterooms with a really weird/small interior layout (see the thread about worst staterooms ever).:cool:

BTW - the day we sailed, the SF Chronicle had a great article about Amsterdam on an Antarctic cruise - here's the link:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/a/2004/08/23/travel0818EDT0940.DTL

If you see Lovely (that's her real name) in the Explorer's Lounge making "Flaming Spanish Coffees" after dinner, tell her hello!:D

What temperature is maintained while cruising around the southern parts of South America - warm enough for light clothes?
Sure, if you have them covered with a winter coat. I'm serious.

I took the Rio-Valparaiso via Antarctica cruise on the Ryndam in January of 2002. For the most part I had summer clothes; I may have brought one sweatshirt. But I also brought my heaviest winter (hooded) coat and gloves. I needed them, too.

You might get lucky and have moderate temps way down south, but it's better to be prepared, IMHO.

btw---this was the absolute best cruise I have ever taken. Enjoy.

Carolyn: RuthC gave you good advice! It is cool inside the ship down there and downright cold outside! The key is to layer. DW & I did pack slightly more cold weather gear than warm weather clothes and it worked well for us. For cold stuff we each took a couple of turtlenecks, a zip-up fleece sweatshirt,. a hooded windbreaker, gloves, earmuffs and hat. Also, do take sunglasses and sun screen-lots of reflected sunlight in Antarctica on clear days. During the days down there in Antarctica the temperature stayed in the mid-30s. I also agree with RuthC-absolutely the best cruise experience we have ever had. Have fun!

We sailed on the Amsterdam over Christmas 2002. It is a elegant ship, that became our family's favourite. The veranda cabins are spacious, and life doesn't get much better that sitting on the veranda watching the world pass by.

We will be trying out the W'Dam over Christmas this year.

Book and enjoy!

Help...any packing advice for 17 day cruise going thru many weather zones? For those who have experience with this itinerary....what are your MAJOR learnings re: packing? (what must have's, should have left home, glad to have)

Any other advice? Is it better to take the laundry package or just fill up the bag?????

Help...any packing advice for 17 day cruise going thru many weather zones? For those who have experience with this itinerary....what are your MAJOR learnings re: packing? (what must have's, should have left home, glad to have)

Any other advice? Is it better to take the laundry package or just fill up the bag?????

Hello folkestone!

Finally, someone on our cruise ! We're really excited to be cruising around South America on the Amsterdam. I'm kind of concerned about 17 days, since we've only cruised for 10 previously. There is a self-serve laundry on the ship, so we're only taking two huge suitcases and a two carryons-I think. Read on another thread about bringing space bags to store our coats so they take up less space. May do that. Haven't started packing yet. Still waiting for the Brazil visa and return of passports. If you have any other questions, I'll try to help.

Glad to "talk" to you.:)

Visa? Is this something new?

Sailed this on Celebrity 2 years ago and there wasnt anything for CRUISE passengers to have---Also, HAL hasnt said anything but I have just booked recently--and it is the passenger responsibility to all things in order!

Know of the $100 Chile airport tax but not the visa!

THANKS FRANK

Yes, there is a requirement for a visa to enter Brazil; no, this is not a new requirement. I had to have one on my South America cruise in January of '02. The visa is purchased in advance, is good for five years, and must be first used within 90 (I think) days of issuance. If you are going to Brazil in November and have not applied for your visa yet I suggest you log off Cruise Critic (tough, I know) and get cracking.

I expect it is your TA's responsibility to let you know about the visa requirement, but IIRC it was in the fine print in the HAL brochure.

Visa? Is this something new?

Sailed this on Celebrity 2 years ago and there wasnt anything for CRUISE passengers to have---Also, HAL hasnt said anything but I have just booked recently--and it is the passenger responsibility to all things in order!

Know of the $100 Chile airport tax but not the visa!

THANKS FRANK

Hi Frank,

Yes we need a visa. Sent for ours about 2 weeks ago. Also need a yellow fever vaccination to enter Brazil. Are you on the 11/28/04 sailing of Amsterdam?

Archived