Marva Shaw

brownies95

QTMichele, We have Marva booked for Sept for Falls, Tubing, & lunch. Should we bring towels from the ship? I have read that we can leave stuff in her van, but should we bring a change of clothes for lunch, or do we just go in our swimsuits? Do most people just wear swimsuits to climb the Falls?

QTMichele, We have Marva booked for Sept for Falls, Tubing, & lunch. Should we bring towels from the ship? I have read that we can leave stuff in her van, but should we bring a change of clothes for lunch, or do we just go in our swimsuits? Do most people just wear swimsuits to climb the Falls?

First... Happy 4th!!!

Yes, bring your towels if you want them (you'll definitely get wet!). Marva will be more than happy to accomodate you by holding your things in her van while you're out and about. I did NOT leave my passport, but I did leave my money - no problems! (I wouldn't leave my passport anywhere except on my person while off the ship, but that's just me.)

As for what to wear - most people wear bathing suits under their clothes while travelling. At the falls, some people wore shorts over their bathing suit bottoms (this girl did! I didn't want someone's face looking at my butt haha), but many climbed with just their suits - it is really a personal preference.

Hope this helps! Have a GREAT trip and PLEASE write a review when you return. :)

I'm in the process of booking Tubing only with Marva. She said that all I need to do is give her confirmation that I am coming, and she will tell me where to meet her. Is that the way it works? No deposit? Do I just pay in full, plus tip, in cash, when we arrive?

I relate to the person who said that she didn't ask the number of people in the party - I'm having problems getting a direct answer on the cost. She quoted me prices for Tubing and other activities, but we just want to do Tubing, which she said was NO PROBLEM, however she never answered my question on waht the cost will be.

I'm in the process of booking Tubing only with Marva. She said that all I need to do is give her confirmation that I am coming, and she will tell me where to meet her. Is that the way it works? No deposit? Do I just pay in full, plus tip, in cash, when we arrive?

I relate to the person who said that she didn't ask the number of people in the party - I'm having problems getting a direct answer on the cost. She quoted me prices for Tubing and other activities, but we just want to do Tubing, which she said was NO PROBLEM, however she never answered my question on waht the cost will be.

Hi, Donna. Touring with Marva is very easy. You make the arrangements with her, then meet her at the dock (or wherever she tells you) and pay her when the tour begins (she'll ask for the money, don't you worry! ;)). We tipped her at the end of our tour, but you can do so whenever it works for you.

Try e-mailing Marva again asking for a confirmation of your tour cost and itinerary. She may have a reduced cost for you, but she may not (tubing is not listed on her regular tours). In addition, if she does agree to take you, you may have to ride around for a bit while she drops others off at their touring destinations (eg she may pick you up at the pier while others are climbing the falls, then you may have to go to the falls with her to pick up the others, then go tubing, then go to another destination to drop off the other tourist before she takes you back to the ship). I really don't know how she sets up her tours and this may be a bad example SO please don't read too much into it. I would definitely ask her again and book with her only if you're comfortable with her response. She is great and I wouldn't hesitate to book with her again! I hope it works out for you.

Hi, Donna. Touring with Marva is very easy. You make the arrangements with her, then meet her at the dock (or wherever she tells you) and pay her when the tour begins (she'll ask for the money, don't you worry! ;)). We tipped her at the end of our tour, but you can do so whenever it works for you.

Try e-mailing Marva again asking for a confirmation of your tour cost and itinerary. She may have a reduced cost for you, but she may not (tubing is not listed on her regular tours). In addition, if she does agree to take you, you may have to ride around for a bit while she drops others off at their touring destinations (eg she may pick you up at the pier while others are climbing the falls, then you may have to go to the falls with her to pick up the others, then go tubing, then go to another destination to drop off the other tourist before she takes you back to the ship). I really don't know how she sets up her tours and this may be a bad example SO please don't read too much into it. I would definitely ask her again and book with her only if you're comfortable with her response. She is great and I wouldn't hesitate to book with her again! I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the info - you explained the pick up and drop off routine very well! There is someone over on our Roll Call board who booked tubing only with Marva, and the price she gave them is $5 less than the price she quoted me for a longer excurision. I've been reading that this is the "going rate" from tour operators for tubing only, so I shouldn't have to pay the $5 more.)

I had wanted to visit the school but they will still be on summer break when we are there. I liked the idea another poster had of giving the school some children's books, so I arranged with Marva to leave books and other gifts with her to give to the teacher once school resumes.

Donna, I really hope everything works out well for you - Marva is great! I'm glad you understood my example. Again, I'm not sure that is how she will run the tour for you, but it may be a possibility - check with her for all the details. :)

I see you've been on the Mariner before - she was our first (and only, to date) cruise. We LOVED her and hope to cruise again in the near future. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I just booked with Marva for tubing, ferngulley, local restaurant (on our own) and shopping. She quoted us $25 per person plus $20 each for entrance fee for river tubing. I found this to be a reasonable price. I have been researching this extensively, and went back and forth, i.e., should we get off the ship, book through the ship, what should we do, etc. Based on many, many posts from various cruise critic posters, plus QT Michelle's postings on Marva, I picked her. Thanks to all the posters and to QT Michelle for their invaluable advice and information.

Our group is four adults and we'll be arriving in Ocho Rios via the Caribbean Princess in September. I'll post a review after we've done the tour. No problems mon!

Hi Everyone,

I just booked with Marva for tubing, ferngulley, local restaurant (on our own) and shopping. She quoted us $25 per person plus $20 each for entrance fee for river tubing. I found this to be a reasonable price. I have been researching this extensively, and went back and forth, i.e., should we get off the ship, book through the ship, what should we do, etc. Based on many, many posts from various cruise critic posters, plus QT Michelle's postings on Marva, I picked her. Thanks to all the posters and to QT Michelle for their invaluable advice and information.

Our group is four adults and we'll be arriving in Ocho Rios via the Caribbean Princess in September. I'll post a review after we've done the tour. No problems mon!

I'm so excited for you! My husband and I were just talking about Marva and how we'd go back to Jamaica BECAUSE of the way SHE treated us! :D I hope you have a wonderful trip too - and please tell her that Michele says Hello!

(By the way, booking with the ship is often more EXPENSIVE and crowded, and waiting to plan until you get off the ship can feel chaotic (we did this in Grand Cayman... sigh). Booking through a recommended tour guide offers a more personal tour at a better price. I think you'll agree! :))

I agree QT. The last 7 day cruise I did to Canada/New England I booked all the excursions through the cruise line. They were ok, but not exciting. There were other things I could have done for much less. After that I said I'd always book through private companies. I did that in Alaska and saved a bundle. The recommendations through cruise critic have proved to be invaluable. Thanks again!

K's Mom, I love CC too! I found it just before we booked our first cruise last July. I would have been completely lost without the tips, comments and general information offered here. I'm glad my experience has helped you too. :)

We just got back from our cruise and toured with Marva Shaw on the 11th. We had a private tour for our family of 5 with Marva as our driver. We first went to Dunn's River Falls, then she drove us to some scenic places and also through Fern Gully. We told her we wanted to really SEE Jamaica so she took us on a back road through the real Jamaica. She showed us plants and trees that they obtain food from and told us how they used those things in their receipes. We went past houses where rich people live and past areas where the people are so poor. It sure made us appreciate our lives and made us all much more grateful for what we have.

We stopped at a vendor place where the "spice lady" sold her things and this lady showed us her natural spices and had us smell different things. Very interesting. The Jamaicans use a lot of natural herbs and fruit in their diets.

Marva also took us to Mahogany beach which was crowded so we didn't stay long. We went to a shopping area where there was an internet place and it only cost $2 for 15 minutes. Great way to check in at home without the cost at the ship!!

Marva told us so much about her country and we feel like we really visited Jamaica. She is a wonderful, kind and sweet person. I would highly recommend her. She will be very glad to work with you to do exactly the tour you want. We emailed back and forth LOTS of times!

We were never hassled while with Marva and we always felt safe with her. We left all of our belongings in her van which saved on having to purchase a locker at the falls.

Marva is truly an ambassador for her country and you will not regret using her as your tour guide.

Marva told us so much about her country and we feel like we really visited Jamaica. She is a wonderful, kind and sweet person. I would highly recommend her. She will be very glad to work with you to do exactly the tour you want. We emailed back and forth LOTS of times!

Marva is truly an ambassador for her country and you will not regret using her as your tour guide.

I'm so glad you found Marva so welcoming! My husband and I had the same experience as you and would not hesitate to recommend Marva for a wonderful, personalized tour of Jamaica. :)

Can you give me there web address??

Marva's web address is www.KnowJamaica.com. I HIGHLY recommend her if you want a well planned, fun, safe and memorable tour. Keep us posted on your plans - we love to read reviews!

• 3 weeks later...
knowjam@yahoo.com

Good luck...we are using Marva in Sept. Hopefully it will be as good as everyone says.

Went on a tour with Javia Shaw (marva's son), last week and all the positive comments on the boards are true. He was great and the tour was excellent. Now I want to go back to Jamaica just to see what else the Island has to hold!

Someone mentioned that they leave their belongings in Marva's van while they are at Dunn's River Falls. Does that mean that no one else will be in her van while you are at DRF ?? Do you leave your wallet etc ??? There will just be 2 of us so I would imagine she will have others on the same tour. What if you all don't want to go to the same places ? :confused:

Someone mentioned that they leave their belongings in Marva's van while they are at Dunn's River Falls. Does that mean that no one else will be in her van while you are at DRF ?? Do you leave your wallet etc ??? There will just be 2 of us so I would imagine she will have others on the same tour. What if you all don't want to go to the same places ? :confused:

You may not know if someone else will be on tour with you until your tour; however, it is likely that anyone touring with you will have the same or similar itinerary as you. :) You can safely leave your things in Marva's van; however, I wouldn't leave valuable things (passports, large amounts of money, jewelry, etc.). I left my wristlet (small purse with wrist strap) in her van. I had some money, but not too much that I would miss if it were to be stolen. My husband carried our passports with him at all times while off the ship (stored them in the safe while on board). Just use common sense and do what is comfortable for you. :)

We just got back from a fantastic time on the Caribbean Princess.

Took everyone's advice and toured with Marvellous Marva. We're really glad we did. Had a wonderful time.

On our tour, Beth, some of the 10 people in our mini bus decided that they were tired and wanted to go back to the ship rather than go to the beach. Marva called her husband, who came in a smaller van and took us two and another couple to the beach, while Marva took the other six back to the ship. No problem Man! She wants you to have a great time and will put herself out for you. :D She's a really nice lady.

We only took a photocopy of our passports off the ship and never needed them at any of our stops throughout our whole cruise. The passports stayed in our safe back on the ship.

We had a plastic water wallet I wore around my neck. Inside I had the copies of our passports (you only need to copy the photo page) and some money and traveler's checks and one credit card. I placed all of these things inside a ziploc sandwich bag and it all fit in the water wallet. The wallet did not leak but you never know. You do not need to take your regular wallet off the ship. It is much better to simplify.

I paid Marva with traveler's checks but DRF requires cash. In the van with Marva, we left our towels, clothes, our shipboard cards, snacks and our cheapo digital camera. We took our disposable waterproof camera with us at the falls. I left our really good digital onboard in the safe. The cheap one took great pictures (the zoom was not too great but who cares) and I didn't have to worry about losing it. It only cost $39 at Elder Beerman and it had an additional rebate of $20!!!!

Put your trust in Marva - she will make sure you have an excellent visit to her island!

I think we gave her another 50-60 dollars and bought her lunch. We were a group of 5. She was a great guide. We had to pay our own way into all the places she took us; but she let us pick out what we wanted to do and customized the day for us. Have a great time!

I think we gave her another 50-60 dollars and bought her lunch. We were a group of 5. She was a great guide. We had to pay our own way into all the places she took us; but she let us pick out what we wanted to do and customized the day for us. Have a great time!

Wow, that is a lot. I doubt I will be tipping her like that. I guess she will have to be disappointed with my tip then.....

Someone mentioned they did the falls and Mahgony Beach... is the beach close to Margaritaville?

We went to do the falls, but we really don't want to book through the ship cause they are so overpriced. If we book through Marva though, we won't have time to go to M-ville. We really want to do both.

Any advice? :)

I read all the posts and decided to try emailing Marva. So far I have been really impressed! We want to see Cranbrook Flower Forest, Wassi Art Pottery, and Dunn's River Falls plus a Jamaican lunch. I emailed Marva on Saturday morning and got a call back Saturday night from Marva's son telling me she would email as soon as she could but that she was out of town. Then I checked my email Sunday afternoon and already heard back from Marva! She quoted me $120 for both me and my husband (total) plus the entrance fee for Cranbrook. I think this is very fair and now I'm really looking forward to it!

For the tipping question - how much do you think I would tip for the two of us?

I'll have to report back in (we aren't going until February)!

Laura

Archived