Bringing Booze Home

cruzfiend

We will be going to St Thomas & St Maarten in January and were wondering if now w/the new restrictions for the airlines - can you carry on the bottles or do you have to send them with the cargo (checked bags)?

Yeah, can't carry that one. Must pack it in checked luggage. Make sure though that you wrap/contain it well. Coming back from SJ, while picking up luggage at the ariport, some poor guys rum didn't make it and literally leaked rum all over his bag and some other ppl's bags. I think he only packed it in the cardboard container that he purchased it in. Suggestion if I may, I would bring some extra plastic bags so that you can wrap it in that, in case it breaks the liquid won't get all over your clothes.

We just flew home March 4th out of Ft. Lauderdale after a wonderful cruise on the Star. I bought a bottle for my Dad in Jamica and was quite concerned about packing it in the suitcase. Well it made it home in one piece. This is how I wrapped it. I bought bubble wrap at the $ store here at home and put it in my suitcase along with a couple of large zip loc bags. The bottle was wrapped in newspaper when I bought it so I left it wrapped in the paper and then wrapped it in the bubble wrap. I then put it in one ziploc bag...minus the air and then put it in the other zip loc bag.

I put some t-shirts on the bottom of the suitcase and then the wrapped bottle and put some of the shoes around it. I just made sure that I didn't put any one our formal clothes etc. in that suitcase. One fellow C.C. friend found a plastic bottle of Appleton Rum. However, you still should wrap it to make sure it doesn't crack. Hope this helps.

Peace, Anna:)

Booze tip for Canadians, bringing two 750 ml bottles each has never caused any problems upon declaring, even though Canada Customs limits us to only 1.14 litres per person over 18.:mad: Duty on extra, can run about $ 25.00-30,00 per litre after that.:eek:

We too pack it very securely deep inside of check on and so far (crossing fingers) never had a problem.

Booze shopping tip!

You can bring back up to 4 liters of booze if you buy at least 1 liter in St. Thomas.

According to the US Customs and Border Protection

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=190&p_created=1043364937&p_sid=aIx4t6xi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD01NzMmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

that would be 5 liters of booze, if you by at least 1 liter in the US Virgin Islands. That liter must also be a product of the USVI.

Just got off the Caribbean Princess last Sunday. I bought 3 bottles of rum, two in St. Maarten and a Cruzan in the ship's store. I brought plenty of bubble wrap in my suitcase, and I asked the salesperson in the ship store to give me one of the 3-bottle boxes. I wrapped each bottle individually and put the 3 in the box with bubble packing also along the sides of the box. Then I surrounded the box in my suitcase with towels we brought and my most expendable clothes (laundry). When I retrieved my suitcase at my destination airport in NY, the suitcase was wet. Right away I thought "rum", but I felt the liquid, and it was water! Looks like the baggage handlers dropped my suitcase on the snow and ice-laden tarmac, but I'm pleased to report that my 3-bottle treasure was fully intact!

The store on ship will sell you these plastic wraps that they inflate around each bottle. You bring your bottles down the night before you disembark ( after they are delivered to your room) and they'll wrap them, cost $1 each. Worth the money

Archived