Is this too casual for formal night??

mueller74us

Please be honest as I am a stickler for intended dress codes! I am considering this dress THE ONE ON THE RIGHT!!! with 1. strappy black high heels 2.short, multi-strand white pearls 3. an updo with a white flower in my hair?!?

Formal accessories but dress too casual??

[/url]

030807_LP_dresses.jpg

I don't think it's too casual, especially with the accessories that you mentioned.

Of course, some of it will depend on what your cruising companion is wearing. You will want to dress in a similar formal style. For example, if he is wearing a tux, this dress isn't formal enough.

D.

i agree with the others, sorry to be a stick in the mud. It depends how "formal" you personally want to look obviously, but i wouldnt wear it on a formal night. pearls and a white flower in your hair sounds wonderful though!

I thought it might be too casual but this being my first cruise I didn't want to over estimate the level of formality typically displayed on those certain nights. Texas Diver, great point about mirroring my cruising companion..I'll remember that!! Thanks All!!!

PS one last question .....on these formal nights do you see many women wearing pant suits? If so, can you recall what they do to make them look formal enough?

I think it will be fine for formal night. On our formal night on carnival imagination I saw one gentleman with jeans on,even though you werent suppose to wear them and they didnt throw him out. I just bought a simple black sleeveless dress at JcPenny's for my formal night and it was fine.

You don't mention what line you're sailing. On some it may be fine. On Celebrity, I'd wear it for informal night. It is lovely though. Pearls would be pretty, but you could do some really funky jewelry, too.

I HAVE seen pants on formal night, but they were the chiffon split ones that look like a long skirt. Not my style, but they're nice on others. With a nice fancy top they're fine. I've also seen people trying to dress up other types of pants and it really doesn't work. Again, this is on Celebrity.

Hi,

I guess what made it look more casual vs. formal for me were the cuffs at the sleeve and the fabric. It looks more like a very pretty informal night dress/out to dinner at a nice restaurant dress. If it was a slinkier fabric...like silk with a bit of a more refined sleeve I could see it really working for formal. With that said...what line will you be on as some are more fancy then others as smitty24 said??

A:D

I will be on the Carnival Destiny this summer. Having vetoed this dress does anyone have first hand experince with Carnival's formal evenings? I think I must have come across pretty casual groups while looking at online albums of other cruisers on their formal nights!

I was on Carnival many years ago, but that seemed like it would fit in. Especially with the fancy hair and strappy shoes. But, if you're unsure, perhaps look at cocktail dresses.

I do think it's lovely, but I think it's the cuffed sleeves that are bugging me. It makes it more casual-like. Same dress, different sleeves...........

It is a beautiful dress. You have noted that you are a stickler for details...so my recommendation is to wear it for a semi-formal night. As some have said the cuffed sleeves make is look a bit more casual.

Happy cruising!!

Payd:)

More than anything, find something you will feel comfortable in. If you are uncomfortable, then you won't enjoy yourself as much. I think it's a pretty dress, especially with the accessories you have mentioned.

I am planning on wearing some fancy pant sets. I have a flared pair of black slacks, very pretty (I think) and a sparling top that looks pretty fancy. I am a larger gal and this will be more comfortable to me than a dress would.

You're cruising in the summer? Um, that dress is black, with sleeves. I would be concerned about being too hot. :o

You asked for honest replies - to me it looks like a work dress rather than one for a formal event. I realize that some cruiselines' definition of formal is more relaxed than others. Think - would I wear this to a summer wedding?

As far as dress pants - sure, why not? Something light & flowy with a sparkly, spangly top. You could still wear your pearls with your updo & floral accent. That would be pretty. :)

The dress is very nice, however, it's not formal but I also know that many people on Carnival do not adhere to the dress codes.

So, there will some formally dressed people in tuxedo's and ballgowns, there will be others in dressy cocktail dress and pant outfits and then you'll have some "it's my cruise and I'll wear what I want" types.

If you want to fit in the well dressed crowd, go for something much dressier.

I like to wear formal pant outfits. One of my favorites is a pair of silk wide legged pants in a pleated pewter color fabric with has a matching bustier top with a charcoal color peplum edged hemline. It's definitely very formal.

I think the dress is great for a nonformal evening. Wear the flower too!:)

Mueller74us, what you need to realize that the people who respond on this board are a very minute proportion of people on a cruise ship. You will encounter a couple of thousand people all dressing differently. If you are the type of person who will be bothered by someone in a prom like dress looking at you, then definitely wear something else. But, after dinner, you will be wondering why you just hadn't ordered the black dress which will be fine with the accessories you want to wear. Some people don't have the financial resources to go out and buy a fancy dress that they might not wear again. I have cruised on 3 different cruise lines and a LOT of women wear pants with a beaded top. There are also women who will be wearing a dress like the one in the picture. Believe me, unless one is insecure in what they are wearing, once you are seated at your table, you will not be aware of what anyone is wearing. The only place where some people look you over is when you are waiting outside for the doors of the dining room to open. Please, wear the dress that you will be the most comfortable in and definitely do not go out and buy something just because a handful of people told you that dress is unacceptable to them. The way I look at it and I'm sure a lot of people do is that the only opinion I really care about is my husband's.

Some people don't have the financial resources to go out and buy a fancy dress that they might not wear again.

Really not neccessary to spend a lot at all. I purchased all my formal wear at discount shops or sales. And my first formal purchase, a champagne gown, was dead-on perfect on for my stint as a wedding coordinator last year!! For re-wearability, it is hard to beat a long black skirt, or dressy black pants.

....Believe me, unless one is insecure in what they are wearing, once you are seated at your table, you will not be aware of what anyone is wearing.

You may not notice what others are wearing, but for me and my son, it is part of our enjoyment of the evening to be with people all dressed up in their finery. We love it...and it would not be the same experience without it.

The only place where some people look you over is when you are waiting outside for the doors of the dining room to open. Please, wear the dress that you will be the most comfortable in and definitely do not go out and buy something just because a handful of people told you that dress is unacceptable to them.

???? I don't believe anyone here implied that the OP would be subjected to rude stares. She asked for opinion on the formality of the dress, and wanted frank responses. I think the responses are exactly what was requested, and all quite polite.

Archived