Is this too casual for formal night??

mueller74us

Thank you all for your input! I actually already own the dress and was planning on wearing it on a non-formal night but when I saw other cruisers pics I thought maybe it could work for either. I will take the advice many of you suggested....I will enjoy taking the opportunity to really dress up! The only chance I get to dress up is when in weddings but even in those situations you wear what the bride tells you to, right! Someone mentioned that they were plus size...any suggestions on websites/stores I might try? I am a size 18 but love fashion and am definitely not one to wear the typical plus sized looking outfits?! Thanks again!!! Wow, as a 1st time cruiser what would I do without the cruise critic boards!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you have a Bloomingdale's near you, they always have wonderful women size evening clothes marked down. Nordstrom's women's department is another good place although their collection on line is better than in the store. Another good place is Draper's and Damon's They always have evening wear in women's sizes Hope this helps

http://www.drapers.com/jump.jsp?itemID=761&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C3&KickerID=964&KICKER

I didn't catch what ship you are sailing on. If you are sailing on NCL your dress is absolutely perfect as their formal nights are "formal optional". It would be perfect if your husband is wearing a suit. If he's wearing a tux it would not be formal enough. It would be great for any other night on a non-NCL ship.

If you are the "stickler" to dress codes as you say you are, then you would probably not feel comfortable wearing that dress, especially after you notice what other sticklers are wearing for formal attire. I agree with the others that don't find this dress to be formal wear. Wear it for one of the dressier casual nights and you'll look great!

I would say that it's not quite formal, even with the accessories you mentioned. Carnival is less formal than other lines, though, so you wouldn't feel incredibly out of place in it.

For plus sizes, we have been lucky to get some good deals at the following:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/ (can shop online or in store if you live nearby. They have some awesome accessories such as shoes etc., as well in their outlet)

http://www.steinmart.com/ (have to find a store, but they have designer items and is a fun place to shop)

www.dillards.com (we have gotten some great deals and they have some nice options)

We have enjoyed shopping for dressy clothes, but we are wearing pants, we are not dress type ladies! I bought a nice black 'tux' type suit, with a sparkly clasp, it's very pretty and I feel good in it, so i'm happy and can't wait to see our formal pictures! :D

Enjoy your cruise!!

Please be honest as I am a stickler for intended dress codes! I am considering this dress THE ONE ON THE RIGHT!!! with 1. strappy black high heels 2.short, multi-strand white pearls 3. an updo with a white flower in my hair?!?

Formal accessories but dress too casual??

[/url]

030807_LP_dresses.jpg

This dress looks a little on the less formal side - might be good for an informal night.

We sat near the door of the dining room on one of the formal nights (Sun Princess 2-28 thru 3-10) so we saw people coming and going all dinner long. We saw a little of everything, including black capris with a glitzy top and strappy heals. I actually felt a little overdressed in a full-length gown, although there were others in gowns, as well. I think if you like the dress, wear it! You'll look wonderful and you will not be out of place. Fortunately or unfortunately almost anything goes!

Archived