Walking Tours Of Venice

We are going to take a 14 day cruise to Europe in October. Our cruise ends in Venice where we are staying an extra two days.

My question: Has anyone here ever taken any of the walking tours of Venice ? Any opinions pro or con ? Should I pre reserve or wait until we get there or maybe even have our hotel recommend one a head of time? I had pretty much decided to buy a good guide book and just hoof it on our own but after reading everything I can get my hands on, I am afraid we might miss something or not know what the heck we are looking at ! For example, we would really like to go to where they still make gondolas by hand . How would I find out out where they are and how to get to them !!

I would really REALLY appreciate some help with this.

MG :)

HI MG,

We are also staying in Venice after the October 7 cruise and plan on doing it on foot as much as possible. We used the Rick Steves and Insight books for our walking tours and they were great. I would check out both books as they come with maps and good summaries of the sites. I think Venice can only be done justice on foot, except for going to the other Islands :D .

Jerry

If you do decide you want a good walking tour of Venice...stop at the Tourist Office tucked in a corner by S.Marco,and asked what they may have going.They do a really good job and the people that do the tours are very well informed on all the aspects of Venice.You can do a half day that will give some insight and then strike out on your own.You do not need to prebook anything.

Hi there:-

We visited Venice last May/06 for three (3) days pre-cruise. We did our own walking tour and felt that after three days we had enough of Venice seeing everything we wanted to before boarding the ship. We did some on-line research and found the website http://www.visitorsforvenice.com invaluable in terms of hotel accomodations near the cruise terminal, sightseeing etc.

FYI

Hi,

For people like me, who really like to plan ahead, there are walking tours that can be pre-booked.

Rick Steves recommends http://www.tours-italy.com and there are quite a few choices, we have chosen the Original Venice Walking tour for our visit to Venice this May. You could probably just turn up without reservations.

Archived