Know of any private excursions in Ocho Rios, Jamacia

sandy13

How many people were on this tour with you? What was the bus like? Did you actually have Marva as your guide?

Thanks for all your help! :)

Marva was our tour guide. :) Jason & I felt comfortable with her and truly enjoyed her company. She continues to e-mail just to "check in" and see how we are doing. She's a genuinely warm woman.

On our tour, there was one other couple with their two teenage boys (6 total guests plus Marva). Marva brought her van which fit all of us comfortably.

Have fun making your decision! I put so much thought and effort into this same decision, but finally made the leap and never looked back. As I've mentioned before, Ocho Rios was one of our favorite ports because of our experience with Marva and the tour she took us on. Please let me know what you decide to do - and then write a review once you return. :D

We are a family of 4 (with 2 kids ages 10 and 16) who sailed the Star Princess on her March 24 sailing and decided to book Ocho Rios independently since Princess did not offer a combo shorex of both Dunns River Falls and the River Tubing. After reading several very positive comments on the CC boards, I decided to book with Marva using her knowjamaica site two weeks prior to our cruise and LOVED our day with her. It was the highlight of our cruise.

After asking around, Marva met our family (along with 2 other groups from the Star Princess who booked with her) and all 14 of us boarded her very spacious bus to Dunns River Falls. We paid her in cash up front (there was no deposit required at booking) and she handled all the entry ticket arrangements for the the rest of the day.

We arrived fairly ahead of the large tour buses and decided to trek up the falls on our own, without a guide. With the right water shoes (get those with really good tread), doing the falls independently without the long line up of other tourists who have to hold hands with their guide was fine for us.

After about 90 minutes, we regrouped and Marva took us to the White River for the inner tube float with a guide. Not quite as challenging as a Dunns River waterfall climb, the inner tube float was a lazy floating experience that lasted only about 30 minutes or so. At one point near the end of the river float, we stopped and my 10 yo son followed our guide and jumped off a 10' cliff into the river. A photographer snapped the shot and we bought it for $5.00. My son was quite proud of himself.

The last part of the day was spent at Reggae Beach ... a semi-private and very beautiful beach in Ocho Rios. There were no loungers on the beach, but that was no problem as we laid out our towels. The water was clear and the waves were gentle. But the best part was that there were probably no more than a dozen people on the entire beach (including our group).

At the designated and promised pick up time (3 PM) Marva showed up to pick up our family of 4 to get us back to the ship by 3:30 PM.

Marva is extremely reliable, does a great job of pre-cruise communicating (via email or cell phone), a wonderful storyteller and does not mind sharing her love of her country and its people with those of us who visit.

She was very accommodating and was willing to customize the day for the 3 families who made up our group (some of us went tubing, while others simply wanted to laze at Reggae Beach and shop later on). Somehow she was able to shuttle all 3 families to their respective locales without any problem.

In retrospect, her charge for the day was quite reasonable for what we did (especially if we tried to hire a cab and do these attractions on our own). The added "plus" is that we found a friend in Marva. We would definitely book with Marva again and highly, highly recommend her with confidence.

We returned home yesterday and had a great time. Our tour in Jamaica with Peat Taylor could not have been better. I would highly recommend Peat Taylor for your tour in Jamaica. He took us to Dunn's River falls in the morning before it was crowded,toured us through fern valley, through areas where we had beautiful views and took us to the Ruins Restaurant for lunch, which had Jamaicain food and a lovely setting. Pete was full of suggestions and would take us wherever we wanted to go. Tubbing, shopping, horsebackriding or back to the ship. His prices were very reasonable and he was a great guide.

Oneil is Peat's son.

contact information:

Email: *********************** or

“Hey Mon No Problem

Imagination 3/31-4/5/2007

We booked Marva Shaw's "Dunns River/ Tubing/ Reggae Beach" excursion from the KnowJamaica website and paid $60 for the day ... round trip minibus transportation to the pier, admission fees to Dunns River and the River Tubing sites, and admission to Reggae Beach (it is not a free beach).

We know we could have done these things on our own, but the cost savings wasn't that huge given the dollar cost it would have required for us to do these 3 things on our own, so Marva's services were well worth the price paid and far far cheaper than what Princess would have offered for just one site visit (there was no shore excusion that offered both the Falls and Tubing).

(there was no shore excusion that offered both the Falls and Tubing).

So good to hear another positive Marva experience! :)

By the way, if touring with Marva, you CAN do the falls and tubing withOUT the beach trip. The family that was with us did this. Marva took them back to the ship (or shopping area, near the ship) after she dropped us off at the beach. I'm not sure how much their tour was, but it was less than ours. :)

QTMichelle & Jasminedog, Did you stop at the "jerk" restaurant I hear a lot of people mention. We will be in Ocho Rios in Sept w/ our 2 kids 13 & 16. I am leaning toward Marva for our day. Anything else you can suggest? How soon should I book her?

QTMichelle & Jasminedog, Did you stop at the "jerk" restaurant I hear a lot of people mention. We will be in Ocho Rios in Sept w/ our 2 kids 13 & 16. I am leaning toward Marva for our day. Anything else you can suggest? How soon should I book her?

Yep! We stopped at the jerk restaurant. The food was good and VERY reasonable. We received a lot of food for the price too - around $6 per person. Definitely the best value of our entire cruise! :D This is a local place and you won't find tourists - a plus in our opinion. The food isn't too far off center from "American" food so you don't have to worry about it being too "strange." Basically, if you like chicken, then you'll be fine! (There's more than chicken too.)

I can't tell you enough how much we liked Marva. I highly recommend her as she takes such good care of you throughout the entire tour AND, somehow, manages to avoid the crowds. I'm not sure what drew me to Marva BEFORE I met her, but part of it was knowing that women around the world often have to work harder to be "equal" to men. Although I cannot tell you her personal circumstances, I'm glad we found her and will seek her out again. :)

If you decide to tour with Marva, then I'd suggest sending her an e-mail and at least tentatively booking with her. I made our reservations 6 or 7 months in advance just to make sure I had a spot.

Feel free to ask anything regarding our tour - I'll answer as honestly as possible!

We could have added a lunch break with Marva Shaw, but decided not to since we had a pretty full breakfast that day, and my wife is not an adverturous eater.

After searching the CC Board, I emailed Marva only 3 weeks before our cruise (and cancelled our prebooked Princess shore excursion) and her son called me that same evening and she personally called me the next day. IMHO their immediate response to my online booking is travel industry service up close and personal! She has even emailed me twice since returning home!

I had narrowed my Ocho Rios operators to 2 persons, Marva and another competitor. The other competitor had a vibe that struck me as a bit "pushy", whereas with Marva I did not feel like I was being hussled. So that was how I made my final decision to go with KnowJamaica. It was the right choice for our family and we'll go with Marva again in a heartbeat.

Jasminedog,

I'm so glad your experience with Marva was as good as mine was! There's a lot to be said about the level of customer service that Marva offers - she's the best! Just like you, Marva e-mails me from time to time just to check in. She's not pushy and her sincerity is welcome.

Have booked to do the Dunns River Falls, Tubing and Reggae Beach with Marva Shaw. Thanks for all the help and advice. We're really looking forward to doing this tour. :D

Yeah! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Marva! :) She is a wonderful woman (I know I keep saying that, but it's TRUE!) and gives a great tour. PLEASE, please, please tell her I said HELLO! Also, I'd love a review upon your return.... while you wait on your cruise, I'll wait on your review. Fair enough? ;)

Yeah! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Marva! :) She is a wonderful woman (I know I keep saying that, but it's TRUE!) and gives a great tour. PLEASE, please, please tell her I said HELLO! Also, I'd love a review upon your return.... while you wait on your cruise, I'll wait on your review. Fair enough? ;)

OK Michelle, I've already told Marva that we've heard some lovely things about her and are looking forward to meeting her. I'll tell her 'hello' from you. I'll post a review when we get back, but that won't be until August. :D

DO these fees include admission to Dunns RIver FAlls or is that an extra 15.00 pp charge to the falls>?

Our tour fee with Marva included transportation and admission fees. It did not include meals (although she took us to a restaurant for lunch) or tips.

Hope that helps! :)

We had a really nice day with Mark on March 30. There were 9 of us so he did not let anyone else join us. He was totally flexible. We had booked to go to the Falls and river tubing. Both were really great experiences. My sister and her boyfriend didn't want to do the tubing with us so he took them to a shopping mall and picked them up later. He did the same for my parents. Nice guy, very decent and honest. I just wish we had brought more with us for tips for the guides, they work very hard and it's hard to know how much to stick in your bathing suit!

www.markstours.com

We had a really nice day with Mark on March 30. There were 9 of us. Someone asked to get in our bus and he said no. He is professional and very friendly and the van was immaculate and air conditioned. We went to the Falls and river tubing, A+ to both. My sister didn't want to book with us but he was kind enough to drive her and her boyfriend to a shopping area and didn't charge them. He entertained my parents and took them on a side trip while we were at the Falls.

My mom was completely wigged out about not going on an excursion sponsored by Carnival but she admitted that he was a great find and it was great day. I would definitely go back to Jamaica and book Mark again.

I also booked with Marva for next week two days ago. I was little worried that I might not get Marva because it was a bit too late to book; however, I was lucky enough to reserve 4 spots with Marva. I also booked with other private tours in other ports (all of them on the same day), but I'm telling you Marva was the fastest to get back to me. As you guys said, she seems s very reliable person. When I get back, I will share my experience with her with you guys. Now, I cannot wait!!!

By the way, I'd like to thank you guys for sharing. I've been reading your posts and it certainly made my choice so much easier for Ocho Rios! See you in the board soon.

I also booked with Marva for next week two days ago. I was little worried that I might not get Marva because it was a bit too late to book; however, I was lucky enough to reserve 4 spots with Marva. I also booked with other private tours in other ports (all of them on the same day), but I'm telling you Marva was the fastest to get back to me. As you guys said, she seems s very reliable person. When I get back, I will share my experience with her with you guys. Now, I cannot wait!!!

By the way, I'd like to thank you guys for sharing. I've been reading your posts and it certainly made my choice so much easier for Ocho Rios! See you in the board soon.

AWESOME!!! :D You're really going to love Marva. I believe you'll find her customer service to be top notch! She IS reliable and you'll have no worries with her. I cannot wait to read about your experience with her tour. PLEASE don't forget to post when you return.

Enjoy Ocho Rios! As I've said before, it was one of our favorite ports (in large part due to Marva). :)

And don't forget to bring the water shoes for the climb up Dunns River Falls. Marva was so accommodating that she first stopped off at a local stand that rented water shoes for those who did not have them. Otherwise we would have been one of the first groups at the Falls that morning. Have a great time and tip her well if she lives up to your expectations!

Hello,

First time cruiser with questions on a tour I booked with Marva Shaw. we wanted the river rafting, beach time, shopping and lunch. She was very quick with a reply and stated 100.00 and 50.00 for the rafting that seemed high but with all the good reviews I quess this is worth the money. Anybody with advice please let me know. Does any one recommend Orvile Taylor. When marva got back to me she stated she could not be our tour quide but we would be in good hands. This is what making me rethink this and maybe look into other guides. Please advise.

Thanks,

Tracey:confused: :confused:

I took a tour with Marva about a week ago. I could not recommend it more.

Originally, I was just going to take a cab/public transportation to several places. I would highly recommend against that. I was going to pay $8 for the shuttle to Dunns River Falls. I was told that we would leave after the shuttle was filled. I waited in the shuttle for 20 minutes and no one else came. I was informed that I could get my money back or wait (a long time) until/if others showed up. That is when I saw Marva in the parking lot and took her tour, as I had previously heard good things on CC. Thankfully, only two other people had registered for the tour, so I was able to take the tour without a reservation.

I took the tour for Dunn's River Falls, river tubing, and Reggae Beach. The cost was $60, which included admissions to all three locations. For reference, admission to Dunns River was $15, river tubing was $20, and Reggae Beach was $5 (if I remember correctly). We got to each location timely, and did not have any long waits. Although I am not a beach person, Reggae Beach was nice and there were very few people there. There were no beach chairs, however. Given that I had not had a reservation and given the great time I had in Ocho Rios, I tipped Marva $20.

Again, I had a great time on this tour and would definitely use Marva in the future.

Craig

Archived