what about this dress

First, let me say that I'm touched that you would actually buy your wife a dress. You get BIG points for that.

It is quite beautiful, but also very revealing. Is this the type of dress your wife would typically wear?

You know her best, of course, so if you think she'd be comfortable showing that much skin, and if she's got the type of figure to pull it off, then I'm sure she'll love it.

When are you going to give it to her? We all want to know what her reaction is.

T

On your other post you mention you have three teenage kids.

Personally if i had three teenage kids (well i do have two) i dont think i would be comfortable wearing a dress like this.

It is spectacular so will draw attention will your wife be happy with this.

What a wonderful husband you are to even think about buying for your wife my hubby would have no idea what size to buy.

karon

Hmmm..... well, does your wife have a body like that model's? If yes, then great. The style should look nice on her. If not, then I would worry that the dress would not be able to hide much.

Also, with the back cut so low, she would not be able to wear a regular bra. She would maybe have to use those "stick-on" things. Some women are not comfortable with that.

You know your wife best. Hope I helped...

What a lovely gesture that you made for your wife!!! Kudos to you!:)

I feel pretty much as the previous posters posts. Initially I thought maybe your wife was in her 20's or even 30's for that dress, then I found out you have 3 teenagers. I have 2 daughters that are just out of that age and (not that it's their business-as I dress as I please anyway) they tend to get a bit embarrassed if I dress too sexy or too young.

Most likely, your wife will know what's best and the dress may be just perfect for her!

I LOVE that dress and I would wear it in a minute! Which color did you get? No really sure what age has to do with it (my sons are 17-23, I'm 44) and as long as you have the body to pull it off, go for it! Plus, I would guess that is somewhat your wife's style otherwise you probably wouldn't have purchased it, right?

I think that is an awesome thing to do for your wife! She is a very lucky lady. Are you planning on giving it to her before the cruise? Just be sure she has the appropriate undergarments for the top as the previous poster stated, if you are surprising her on the cruise itself. Have a great time!

I think it's terrific that a husband will buy a dress for his wife and if she has the body for it, wear it and be proud no matter what her age.

I would suggest she not stand like the model is, with her rear end sticking out, it really cheapens the look :p

If my darling hubby bought that dress for me it would be the best laugh I would have had all year then again I would check the name on the box( suspiciously!) and make an appointment for him with the optometrist!

Anyways to your question re. the black number...great for a night club but probably uncomfortable and dangerous for the dining room..:eek:

Well Capt, I would say "you should've saved your $$" I would be insulted if my "husband" bought any article of clothing for me. Mainly due to the fact that it reeks with "what you want your wife to wear" rather than what she chose to wear for herself! In her minds eye, it says you think she could fit into it, and I don't like your taste.... ya da ya da. I think you get my drift. If you are geniune :rolleyes: , take the frock back and buy her some expensive bling. Any woman would be happy with jewelery that says two things..."I love you" or "I'm guilty" hopefully its the first one:)

I agree with Mikesxwife. The dress is sexy and if your wife has the body for it and dresses like this then she probably doesn't need you to buy her a dress as she knows her own style (even though it's very thoughtful of you to do so). Are you giving her a message of "this is what I would like you to wear?" :confused: I have seen on a few occassions where husbands have bought a sexy and/or revealing dress for their wives (even on our last Xmas cruise) and the outfit was totally inappropriate for them as they dressed in a more conservative way or the style didn't suit their body shape. IMHO I think a store voucher so she can choose her own outfit would be better. Keep the sales docket just in case.:p

thank you all for the comments and let me answer some of the questions posed here. my wife does not look like the model in the picture but she looks like that to me and she does have the body for it. i think the dress is appropriate for dancing, or the clubs on board though i dont think she would wear it to dinner because yes, we will be eating with the kids. Sorry i cant remember who asked but the dress color is red by the way.

my wife dresses conservative for work because she has to but likes to dress a bit more sexy and daring when we have the few oppotunities to do so but she is not the type of person who will normally spend the money on herself, she would rather spend it on the kids or the house. buying this dress tells her that i still find her incredibly sexy and attractive. i will give her the dress this week when it arrives and will post whether she likes it and keeps it or she try for something else. i would still like to hear anyone's comments or questions and i am sure there will be more after she sees it.

:D

I love the dress and would be thrilled if my husband took the thought and time and bought me this dress :) !! Sure it's sexy but if she has it then she should flaunt it !!! Good for you to think of your wife when she never thinks of herself ( a massage and facial would be nice for her too :D ) !!!

Just a comment that I would personally not change after dinner to go to the clubs. I dress once for the evening and it would be a hassle to change to go dancing as well as to pack different accessories for yet another outfit.

Also, if I was not comfortable wearing the dress to dinner around my kids, I would not be comfortable wearing it on a cruise period.

You were thoughtful enough to take it upon yourself to buy the dress for your wife Kudos to you!!! You know her style and know if this is something she will enjoy wearing - not anyone here. Her teenagers should not have a say in what she wears period.

The dress is very pretty for that style - if she doesn't like she can return it and I am sure you won't mind or be insulted right?

I think the dress is absolutely gorgeous. She should wear it to dinner and than out later. If she feels good in it, than go for it. Like Lemarier said the kids have no say. Plus if she looks great and feels great she is sending a message that she is confident with herself. Very important for teenagers! And it's not like her butt is hanging out, and the front is completely covered, sexy yet classy. IMHO I'd rather see a nice back than a chest full of boobies leaving nothing to spare, that is for the beach. Go for it!!

Personally I wouldn't want my DH to buy a dress for me. Maybe you have better taste and understanding of what your wife likes than my DH. Even if he thought I had the body to wear that kind of dress, I wouldn't want to wear it. I am short and this dress would make me look shorter AND I am self conscious about the freckles on my back, so would want something more conservative.

DH tried to buy me a new purse for Christmas because he heard me say I had had my current one for over 2 years. The thought was nice, but he didn't pick out a purse I would normally buy. :rolleyes:

Maggie

I think it is great that you are going to surprise your wife with a dress. What a nice thought!

But personally, I don't think it would be something, I, myself would be comfortable in. I agree with everyone else though, if your wife has the body for it, go for it. Personally, I would rather something a little less revealing. A woman is only going to feel gorgeous in a dress that she can feel comfortable in. If it is the type of thing your wife would normally wear, then it's great.

Either way I'm sure she will love the gesture.

i just bought this dress for my wife for our cruise and wanted to know what people thought of it. my wife doesnt know i bought it yet so i can return if needed.

thanks

I couldn't believe it last night when this old thread popped up on my notification:Dlist http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332891&page=10

but I had to go check it out since it got so much attention last summer.

I'm thinking your wife is going to think you have flipped out:D and hopefully she will have packed additional 'choices'. Enjoy your cruise!

thank you all for the comments and let me answer some of the questions posed here. my wife does not look like the model in the picture but she looks like that to me and she does have the body for it. i think the dress is appropriate for dancing, or the clubs on board though i dont think she would wear it to dinner because yes, we will be eating with the kids. Sorry i cant remember who asked but the dress color is red by the way.

my wife dresses conservative for work because she has to but likes to dress a bit more sexy and daring when we have the few oppotunities to do so but she is not the type of person who will normally spend the money on herself, she would rather spend it on the kids or the house. buying this dress tells her that i still find her incredibly sexy and attractive. i will give her the dress this week when it arrives and will post whether she likes it and keeps it or she try for something else. i would still like to hear anyone's comments or questions and i am sure there will be more after she sees it.

:D

I think it's a lovely thought and commend you for what you're trying to convey.

My own opinion is the dress is over the top. You said your wife likes to dress sexy but that is beyond that realm. When a man gives a woman a dress like that, whether they know it conciously or not, it's more for them than it is for the woman.

I think you could get the message across just as nicely with some other little surprises. Some beautiful lingerie and fragrance with a note about how you're looking forward to her in them. If she's not into that, give her a gift certificate for a day of pampering. If you're still wanting to get her a dress, you could even take her out and pick out dresses with her. Give her the condition she may not look at the price. Then drop her off at a spa for a mani or pedi or other service that will help her relax. All things that are truly for "her" .

i just bought this dress for my wife for our cruise and wanted to know what people thought of it. my wife doesnt know i bought it yet so i can return if needed.

thanks

Captian, if you have to ask a bunch of strangers, then you are harboring doubts that you have made the right choice. Return it.

Then take your wife on a shopping date (just the two of you) and buy her a dress that you both agree on.

Archived