what about this dress

My wife has told me time and again that she has plenty of dresses, so, I just give her the catalogs as they arrive, and, if she is interested in something, I will buy it for her. It keeps everyone happy

She saw a dress quite like the photo, except if was pink, and about knee length. She liked it a lot, but felt that the back was too low for her. Since she is the one who has to wear it, I acceed to her wishes. She has LOTS of other 'good stuff'.

Captain:

You sound like a thoughtful, caring husband!

If you plan to give this dress to your wife, I'd advise you do so asap. A dress that reveals so much in so many places will require some preparation time on even the best of us to wear it confidently. There are many things a woman would consider beyond the strategy of the bodice, such as: minor alterations, a little toning here and there, overall complexion, etc. All of which require some lead time. She may want to have her legs waxed because of the slit, any tan lines at ALL would ruin the look of the back of the dress and require time to fade or tanning salon etc., etc. And, that's before she even accessorizes! :eek: YOU may think she'd look terrific in it. But, it's not a dress even a fashion model would just "throw on" without some fore-thought and prep time. So, make sure you are considerate of that, even though you see her with the eyes of a husband in love. :) Don't leave her "stressed" or cause work for her while she's getting all of the rest of you ready to cruise, I don't think that is your intention.

I have to agree with others who've suggested that you take it back and go shopping with her. Or, plan to do so, gallantly, if she doesn't like the fit. What a treat for any woman to actually have a husband willing to go shopping with her for a special dress.

I also agree with the poster who suggested lingerie & perfume if you want to actually surprise her with something YOU'VE bought. There are wonderful, elegant, sexy satin nightgowns in the lingerie section online at Victoria's Secret in either ballet-length or longer and even a long red one on the the Frederick's website that look similar to the dress you selected she might like. After all, a cruise should be special and since you will have your teenagers along, you might want to consider that a way to ensure the "nights" are special and just for the two of you, alone. Champagne in the cabin would be a great touch. :)

Have a wonderful cruise. Martha

I think the dress is great. As for those who think husbands should not buy clothing for their wives, they are most likely insecure or do not trust teir husband's taste, surprising since the husbands chose the wives.

Dark Jedi:

Bless you for posting your very sincere response! Your avitar and picture is EXACTLY what I wanted to convey to the lovely man buying his wife a dress!

Not EVERY woman would welcome such a picture showing such DISTINCT complexion differences between the exposed "tan" parts and the unexposed "white" parts. Some would want some "time" to make sure a more "EVEN" complexion/tone is captured for all eterinity. Then, the dress can stand on its own, without distraction.

Martha

I think the dress is great. As for those who think husbands should not buy clothing for their wives, they are most likely insecure or do not trust teir husband's taste, surprising since the husbands chose the wives.

It seems to me that it's the wives who are insecure if their husbands are buying their clothes for them and deciding what they should wear. If you need an opinion on a dress take a girlfriend with you for an honest opinion. I personally dislike men hanging around ladies change rooms while their wives come out and parade for them and seek permission to buy...I feel sorry for them.

It seems to me that it's the wives who are insecure if their husbands are buying their clothes for them and deciding what they should wear. If you need an opinion on a dress take a girlfriend with you for an honest opinion. I personally dislike men hanging around ladies change rooms while their wives come out and parade for them and seek permission to buy...I feel sorry for them.

No.....it is TONS of fun to have your husband shop with you. IF you have a husband....and IF they're willing to go. What do you think? Heavens.......we already KNOW what our girlfriends would say......we'd being saying it too? :) And, god knows, there's no woman ALIVE in 2007 who needs permission from ANY man to buy ANYTHING. I hope YOU wouldn't.

Think process! Martha

I think the dress is great. As for those who think husbands should not buy clothing for their wives, they are most likely insecure or do not trust teir husband's taste, surprising since the husbands chose the wives.[/quote

I now understand "the dark" in your name! Your thoughts on marriage are somewhat in the dark ages AND very interesting you would make your debut under this thread??

No.....it is TONS of fun to have your husband shop with you. IF you have a husband....and IF they're willing to go. What do you think? Heavens.......we already KNOW what our girlfriends would say......we'd being saying it too? :) And, god knows, there's no woman ALIVE in 2007 who needs permission from ANY man to buy ANYTHING. I hope YOU wouldn't.

Think process! Martha

I don't really understand your post. Good for you if you enjoy your husband clothes shopping with you, although as you say "if they're willing". As for your comment about no woman alive in 2007 needing permission from any man to buy anything, you're kidding right:confused: To answer your question NO I don't have to seek permission, but then I'm very fortunate to have a great hubby (and my own income). Some of us prefer to buy our own clothes (with or without an honest opinion from a trusted girlfriend) and parade them for our partners in private at home.

So take a husband or take a friend...who really cares...just enjoy the shopping;)

Great dress! I don't think it matters so much what type of figure your wife has- in buying that dress for her, you are saying: " I think you are incredibly sexy!" The message alone is worth the search for "supportive " undergarments.

Beautiful dress! I'm thinking the ones against the dress are the ones that can't wear a dress like that LOL! What does teenage kids have to do with wearing a beautiful dress like that.

My kid is over 30 and I wear dresses like that all the time because I can:D

I'm thinking the ones against the dress are the ones that can't wear a dress like that

This kind of opinion is a)wrong and b)mean. People are simply offering opinions on a dress--as the original poster requested. Since we all have different tastes & styles, some will like the dress and some will not, regardless of our OWN shapes.

This kind of opinion is a)wrong and b)mean. People are simply offering opinions on a dress--as the original poster requested. Since we all have different tastes & styles, some will like the dress and some will not, regardless of our OWN shapes.

My opinion;)

I saw an interesting show on TV about the difference between women who went thru the "bra burning" 60's and their daughters today. One opinion was that men still run the world, women still dress like the men want (think of the dancers on the hip hop /rap vidios.....) but now the girls think they have the freedom to dress like that and they don't realize it's still a men's world and nothing has changed.

the dress has arrived and i gave it to my wife yesterday. first, to all the people who had negative comments about the dress itself - the dress on a real person does not look like the dress on a air brushed model. the slit on the right side is not quite as high as it was depicted and the back of the dres didnt come down quite as low. the dress looked very nice on her. one of the buttons that hook the halter in the back came off and we will have to fix that but it looks very nice. even the material is not quite so shiny as it looked in the photograph. I think the dress lookes better in person.

OMG:eek: I just bought that exact same dress for my cruise. How funny is that. I think it is great and I plan on turning heads. I just lost 65 pounds and want to show off a bit. By the way, which cruise are you on again? I think it would be hilarious if we were on the same one and seated at the same dinner, and same table.

Terrific? Maybe?

Great description of YOUR take on the dress........you never mentioned HER take on it, reaction, etc. Not one word after all this discussion vis a vis giving her the dress.

I agree with another, earlier poster........this thread has been bogus from the get go.

Karen, we are sailing on RCL in august so dont worries about meeting up with two woman in the same dress. glad to hear someone else liked it enough to get it as well. as for the wife's feelings - she said the dres very very nice and not as bad looking as some people hear made it sound. the only complaint she had was that the jewel back was a bit scratchy on her back when she first tried it on but she said it looked and felt very nice on her and she did not think she would be unconfortable wearing it to dinner. also, as one woman state about her "girls showing" this dress does not require any additional help if you have the "girls" for it, no tape or anything is needed because it is not that open as it looks in the picture.

when it comnes to fashion, not everything is going to appeal to everyone but dont judge something by seeing a air brushed model showing it off.

Wonderful to hear this. I'm glad your wife liked the dress. It was a very thoughtful gesture on your part and I'm happy that it worked out for both of you. I'd be thrilled if my husband got me a dress just like it. Even when I'm not feeling too "hot", he thinks I am and his opinion gives me a big boost. If other people don't like it, they can find another place to rest their eyes. I hope you have an excellent cruise!

I came here after a search for "red" because I wonder what color shoes I should wear with a red dress. I guess I'll have to start a new thread because I'm having trouble finding that info.

As for the OP and what he did. My one and only problem with it is that I think a lot of women are like me. They have to try on too many dresses in too many sizes in order to find the one that fits and looks good. If the dress he bought didn't have a built in bra, I doubt I could find one to work with it. I'm tall, the dress most likely wouldn't be long enough.

If I was 5'5" tall, had no need for a little lift from a real bra, I'd wear the red one happily and thank him for it. And I am a conservative dresser.

A funny thing that just happened for my birthday. My husband, I believe, after 27 years of marriage, knows not to buy me clothes due to the fit issues. So, after reading this forum recently we had a laugh over crocs that were being discussed. I never dreamed he would go and buy some for me for my birthday. I guess he doesn't realize my feet are hard to fit, too. The size 8-9 crocs he bought were like boats on my feet due to the wide width. I wear a 7 1/2 or 8. I took them back - what a hassle - and tried the next size down - 6-7. My big toes hit the end.

Please honey, don't buy me clothes OR shoes.

Now does anyone know what color shoes I should wear with the red dress I got on clearance today at Macy's for a whopping $30? :D Or direct me to a link that I can't find. PLEASE............:D

I'm thinking the ones against the dress are the ones that can't wear a dress like that LOL! :D

I'm thinking the ones who are against it are strong, confident women who don't need to put their "goodies" on display to be ogled in order to feel and be sexy.

Archived