what about this dress

Hi Mommabean,

I started a thread recently that asked the same question.

Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=518371

I attached a picture of the dress and most people said to wear black shoes. It probably depends on your dress, though. Why don't you start a new thread and attach a picture?

I came here after a search for "red" because I wonder what color shoes I should wear with a red dress. I guess I'll have to start a new thread because I'm having trouble finding that info.

As for the OP and what he did. My one and only problem with it is that I think a lot of women are like me. They have to try on too many dresses in too many sizes in order to find the one that fits and looks good. If the dress he bought didn't have a built in bra, I doubt I could find one to work with it. I'm tall, the dress most likely wouldn't be long enough.

If I was 5'5" tall, had no need for a little lift from a real bra, I'd wear the red one happily and thank him for it. And I am a conservative dresser.

A funny thing that just happened for my birthday. My husband, I believe, after 27 years of marriage, knows not to buy me clothes due to the fit issues. So, after reading this forum recently we had a laugh over crocs that were being discussed. I never dreamed he would go and buy some for me for my birthday. I guess he doesn't realize my feet are hard to fit, too. The size 8-9 crocs he bought were like boats on my feet due to the wide width. I wear a 7 1/2 or 8. I took them back - what a hassle - and tried the next size down - 6-7. My big toes hit the end.

Please honey, don't buy me clothes OR shoes.

Now does anyone know what color shoes I should wear with the red dress I got on clearance today at Macy's for a whopping $30? :D Or direct me to a link that I can't find. PLEASE............:D

We really would need to see the dress.

My personal feelings are that black shoes with red is a little harsh.

I like silver slings with a touch of see-thru. That softens the entire look.

I would post the dress. If the dress has any gold on it, the silver would be out.

I'm with you, hubby best not buy me any clothes, shoes, car, or furniture. I like to do my own shopping. I don't go buy his guns or poker books:eek:

WOW, what a harsh group. First off, I would think being married to the women as long as the OP was, he would know whether or not she would welcome him buying her a dress. If you all have a spouse that doesn't do a good job of it or doesn't know you don't want them buying you stuff means you've got a communication problem.

Second, who cares how old or what size his wife is. If he thinks she looks great in it, than that's what matters. Frankly I'm mid 40's with two teens and i would wear the dress too. I happen to be a size 2 and can carry it of, but thats for the wearer to determine. Everyone's comfort level is different.

How about just admiring the guy for being so thoughtful. Even if she hated the dress, it's the thought that counts. And since when does buying your wife a nice outfit suddenly turn into some controlling issue? That sounds like someone with their own issues. SHESH

To the OP, glad your wife likes and it looks good on her. Be sure to post pictures from the cruise!!!!

thank you all for the comments and let me answer some of the questions posed here. my wife does not look like the model in the picture but she looks like that to me and she does have the body for it. i think the dress is appropriate for dancing, or the clubs on board though i dont think she would wear it to dinner because yes, we will be eating with the kids. Sorry i cant remember who asked but the dress color is red by the way.

my wife dresses conservative for work because she has to but likes to dress a bit more sexy and daring when we have the few oppotunities to do so but she is not the type of person who will normally spend the money on herself, she would rather spend it on the kids or the house. buying this dress tells her that i still find her incredibly sexy and attractive. i will give her the dress this week when it arrives and will post whether she likes it and keeps it or she try for something else. i would still like to hear anyone's comments or questions and i am sure there will be more after she sees it.

:D

I couldn't agree with you more. It is a stunning dress and would wear it in a heartbeat if my husband bought it. It is what makes her feel good. It is a sweet gesture to get a dress for your wife that spends on others.

I read alot of posts but I do not always comment but this time I had to. I love the dress, and it was so great that you still see your wife as a sexy woman and not just a mom. As for women who are confident not needing to dress that way, I say all women should care enough to want to look sexy, maybe not all the time, but we all need it from time to time. I am very confident as well as a strong professional woman and I still want to feel sexy and desirable to my husband and no I do not need to dress in a slinky outfit to achieve that but sometimes it just feels good to do so. I am also a mother of 3, ages 27, 19, and 16, I will be 50 soon and I can and would wear this dress. Your wife should feel proud ! If she can wear this dress she must workout and take care of herself, and you should be proud of her as I am sure you are. I see alot of women 25 years younger than me that are in terrible shape and could never wear a dress like this so we cannot assume based on age how a dress will look on someone. Keep on caring for your wife and have a wonderful life together.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW, what a harsh group. First off, I would think being married to the women as long as the OP was, he would know whether or not she would welcome him buying her a dress. If you all have a spouse that doesn't do a good job of it or doesn't know you don't want them buying you stuff means you've got a communication problem.

Second, who cares how old or what size his wife is. If he thinks she looks great in it, than that's what matters. Frankly I'm mid 40's with two teens and i would wear the dress too. I happen to be a size 2 and can carry it of, but thats for the wearer to determine. Everyone's comfort level is different.

How about just admiring the guy for being so thoughtful. Even if she hated the dress, it's the thought that counts. And since when does buying your wife a nice outfit suddenly turn into some controlling issue? That sounds like someone with their own issues. SHESH

To the OP, glad your wife likes and it looks good on her. Be sure to post pictures from the cruise!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. Style is a personal choice. If you feel sexy wearing something, and your significant other loves it on you too, then it works! I know from personal experience that confident women praise other women for looking great. The less confident feel better about themselves by hiding behind the "let's point out the flaws" route. Sad. I may not like what my husband chose for me, but I sure would love him for trying!

As for the poster who referenced women's attire reflecting a "man's" world, that is just sad and outdated. That attitude is exactly what holds women back. Chose to wear whatever you want. Be confident and make no apologies.

Be proud of who you are, but not at the expense of other's! Let's be supportive!

Archived