Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Just returned from my Mediterranean cruise yesterday. *sigh* what a vacation, why does it have to end???. :D Oh well, time to start planning the next one (Norther Europe here we come!)

Glad to see some have reported back from their trip here.

if the ship is offering the Kandela excursion at nite TAKE IT!!.. it is a fabulous show at the altos chavon amphitheater....!!!.. we will be there on our jan. cruise but leaving at 4 p.m. .. I would do that excursion again if we were staying later!...:(

Hi, I've noticed you have recommended this show many times and we really want to see it! I've visited the web site and the music and costumes are fantastic. My only concern that one in our group has trouble walking for more than 10 -15 minutes and I'm not sure how she will handle the "stadium" seating. How long of a walk is it to the amphitheater after the tour bus drops us off? Also is there any "regular" height seating available, ie: chairs, wheelchair rentals, or anything along those lines. She also can't stand for very long, or we would consider just standing in the very back. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciate.

Debbie

Hi, I've noticed you have recommended this show many times and we really want to see it! I've visited the web site and the music and costumes are fantastic. My only concern that one in our group has trouble walking for more than 10 -15 minutes and I'm not sure how she will handle the "stadium" seating. How long of a walk is it to the amphitheater after the tour bus drops us off? Also is there any "regular" height seating available, ie: chairs, wheelchair rentals, or anything along those lines. She also can't stand for very long, or we would consider just standing in the very back. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciate.

Debbie

hi debbie,

I'm not sure about wheel chairs but you can definitely sit in the back without walking down the stone steps... its just a short walk from where the bus lets you off.. i'm not sure if they have anything to help out handicapped.... enjoy the show

Thanks, Star for the quick response. When you say we can sit in the back without walking down the steps, is this still on the shallow stone steps or is there regular height seating available? No matter which it is, I think we will still take in the show. It looks to good to pass up!

Debbie

Just returned from my Mediterranean cruise yesterday. *sigh* what a vacation, why does it have to end???. :D Oh well, time to start planning the next one (Norther Europe here we come!)

Glad to see some have reported back from their trip here.

Trovador,

Welcome back! So glad you thoroughly enjoyed your cruise. What were the highlights for you? Difficult question, I know. At least you came away knowing your next one would be Northern Europe. I have been betwixt and between about which European itinerary I will do next. There's so much to see and you only get a glimpse, but it makes it quite difficult for me to decide. What time of year would you do Northern Europe? That's always another hard thing for me to guage. Anyway, welcome home and I do hope you tell us all about your trip.

I leave in two days and shall be in your neck of the woods next week. I'm deciding between the $40 resort fee at Caso de Campo, and I understand that will also entail approx a $45 taxi fare for the five of us vs. just grabbing a cab to Bayhibe beach, which must be almost the same distance given the $55 cab fare there and just staying at the beach for free. A big plus to paying the extra $200 and going to Casa de Campo is that my mother is undergoing chemo and has a lowered immune system, and the ship warned the last batch that went, that there was a leptospirosis outbreak and certain areas weren't safe. I'll have to see what they say when we're on board. It also makes it hard because we're only docked from 7A - 2 P, so it's not a lot of time to spend there.

I'm glad your trip was great and thanks again for all of your help with this port. It has been much appreciated!

Donna

Donna- I got a little confused...where are you saying there were out breaks of leptospirosis? Where did you find you get your information on this? Thanks

We were on the 11/23/2007 Explorer of the Seas cruise to DR and were distributed a letter while on the ship. The letter basically gave the symtoms and I believe the real intent was to warn everyone to tell their doctors about the possible expose if they have the symptoms after they return home. The letter stated that the treatment was simple but the diagnosis could be over looked and confused with other common illnesses.

We were on the 11/23/2007 Explorer of the Seas cruise to DR and were distributed a letter while on the ship. The letter basically gave the symtoms and I believe the real intent was to warn everyone to tell their doctors about the possible expose if they have the symptoms after they return home. The letter stated that the treatment was simple but the diagnosis could be over looked and confused with other common illnesses.

I just googled this. Eww. Nasty, nasty stuff. :eek:

Has anyone gone to "Cueva de las Maravillas" What dose this consist of and is it worth the trip?

Well, according to the RC website, this is a tour of some ancient caves plus a stop for shopping. I have this booked for our Feb 15 cruise. When are you going, Matt? If you're going after Feb 15, you can read my trip report when I get back. Hopefully, someone else will report back before then.

Well, according to the RC website, this is a tour of some ancient caves plus a stop for shopping. I have this booked for our Feb 15 cruise. When are you going, Matt? If you're going after Feb 15, you can read my trip report when I get back. Hopefully, someone else will report back before then.

Feb 3rd :)

- how long is the taxi ride to Bayahibe? Also, do you know how long the ride to Altos De Chavon is? quote]

The shuttle ride was about 20 to 25 minutes long to Altos de Chavon. It was $7 pp round trip. We saw a free, live stage show at the ampitheater at about 11 a.m. so they must run the shows periodically during the day when the ship is in port.

How long of a walk is it to the amphitheater after the tour bus drops us off?

Debbie

When you get off the shuttle go straight and then take the path to the right. It's only a short distance to the amphitheater. I didn't see any wheelchairs. The streets are very uneven (high cobblestones). My parents were both in wheelchairs and I know I wouldn't have been able to push one through the lanes or streets in the village. (I hope they do rent the wheelchairs with large donut type wheels to accomodate everyone). It's a very beautiful village.

Are there any beaches at the Caso de Campo resort - walkable from where the shuttle drops you?:)

I just returned from the 12/14 cruise and we went to the Caso de Campo Hotel and paid the $40 day rate, even though we were only there till 1 oclock. I can tell you about that if that's what you're interested in. We did have to take a cab though.. no shuttle that I saw. If you want more info on that, let me know and I'll answer any questions you might have.

Donna

I just retured from our 12/14 cruise on Explorer of the Seas - at Casa De Campo stop in DR, as you exit you can do either of two shuttle busses that are offered one was as said before Altos De Chavron $7.00 round trip in air conditioned vans. That is the one we did as well it was very nice and the van service back to the ship were running every half hour. So you had plenty of time to see and do as you please and not feel rushed.

The 2nd option was $5.00 round trip per person to the Marina which had a few stores / mall area etc.

As we wanted to take pictures we opted for Altos De Chavron.

Hope this helps for those that are thinking about what to do at this port, and dont want to spend alot of money by taking cruise ship excursions.

As for Campo de Caso, I did the day pass at the hotel. There are stated taxi rates at the port and that costs $15 for up to 5 people to go to the hotel. It was only 5 minutes away, so we chose to do that rather than the $55 taxi ride to Bahayibe Beach, even though that beach would have been free, it would have been almost an hour ride and we were only in port from 7:30 - 1:30. There was a definite language barrier and the taxi driver kept telling me there is no beach in Casa de Campo, only for residents, but I knew I was right about the day rate and it definitely included a beach so on we went. After he dropped us off at the reception desk of the hotel and we bought our day pass for $40 each, they had to drive us to the beach. The drive to the beach from the reception desk was further than the drive from the pier. I'm talking miles! The beach was beautiful and the lunch that is included is high end. Nicer than Portofinos. The restaurant is out on the beach and lunch includes an appetizer (10-15 price range) entree (15-25 range) and dessert which we didn't stay for because the restaurant opened at noon and it was 12:30 when we were eating our main dish. So the lunch alone was more than the day pass rate and it was all included. They had beach mats, hobies, windsurfers, paddle boats, etc. all included. The bartender didn't charge us for frozen drinks, although we did order virgin since it was me and my two teenagers, but others were confused and so was the staff as to what was included. What I learned from that day is that Caso de Campo is a hotel, a beach, a village, a town, and an area and it is confusing what portion of it you are using. For example, within the boundaries where we were was the hotel and time share units and condos and even people building houses as long as they stayed within building codes and kept their home looking like the units, they were part of it. So people there could be vacationers, they could live there, they could be seasonals, etc. Showing my day pass seemed to get me everything I wanted for free. The beach was very pretty and very uncrowded. No merchants on the beach at all. We did pass a security point where guards hassled our taxi driver and he repeatedly said something to them in spanish, but they kept eyeing us up in the back seat. The car in front of us with a single woman in it was denied entry back toward the port area and pulled aside to have her trunk check by guards... a bit unnerving. Another couple from the ship left the beach an hour early because there was a free shuttle from Caso de Campo beach to Altos de Chavon and it was only 5 minutes down the road, but I didn't opt for that. They did and they loved the hour they spent there. When all is said and done, we took the taxi back to the port for another $15 and we did it directly from the beach. They have an entrance area where you get towels and show day passes and they call a cab for you, but it takes about 10 mintues for them to come.

As for Campo de Caso, I did the day pass at the hotel. There are stated taxi rates at the port and that costs $15 for up to 5 people to go to the hotel. It was only 5 minutes away, so we chose to do that rather than the $55 taxi ride to Bahayibe Beach, even though that beach would have been free, it would have been almost an hour ride and we were only in port from 7:30 - 1:30. There was a definite language barrier and the taxi driver kept telling me there is no beach in Casa de Campo, only for residents, but I knew I was right about the day rate and it definitely included a beach so on we went. After he dropped us off at the reception desk of the hotel and we bought our day pass for $40 each, they had to drive us to the beach. The drive to the beach from the reception desk was further than the drive from the pier. I'm talking miles! The beach was beautiful and the lunch that is included is high end. Nicer than Portofinos. The restaurant is out on the beach and lunch includes an appetizer (10-15 price range) entree (15-25 range) and dessert which we didn't stay for because the restaurant opened at noon and it was 12:30 when we were eating our main dish. So the lunch alone was more than the day pass rate and it was all included. They had beach mats, hobies, windsurfers, paddle boats, etc. all included. The bartender didn't charge us for frozen drinks, although we did order virgin since it was me and my two teenagers, but others were confused and so was the staff as to what was included. What I learned from that day is that Caso de Campo is a hotel, a beach, a village, a town, and an area and it is confusing what portion of it you are using. For example, within the boundaries where we were was the hotel and time share units and condos and even people building houses as long as they stayed within building codes and kept their home looking like the units, they were part of it. So people there could be vacationers, they could live there, they could be seasonals, etc. Showing my day pass seemed to get me everything I wanted for free. The beach was very pretty and very uncrowded. No merchants on the beach at all. We did pass a security point where guards hassled our taxi driver and he repeatedly said something to them in spanish, but they kept eyeing us up in the back seat. The car in front of us with a single woman in it was denied entry back toward the port area and pulled aside to have her trunk check by guards... a bit unnerving. Another couple from the ship left the beach an hour early because there was a free shuttle from Caso de Campo beach to Altos de Chavon and it was only 5 minutes down the road, but I didn't opt for that. They did and they loved the hour they spent there. When all is said and done, we took the taxi back to the port for another $15 and we did it directly from the beach. They have an entrance area where you get towels and show day passes and they call a cab for you, but it takes about 10 mintues for them to come.

Hey Donna! Glad to hear about what others in our group did. We wanted to go to the beach but because we got so burned in St. Thomas we were hiding from the sun so we opted for altos. I agree with you the security guards were eyeing every car that passed and busses too. I also saw them turn back a car or two while we waited in line to pass.

Hi Everyone we are just back from our 12/16 cruise.

We went to the public beach. It is right next door to the hotel Casa del Mar. The security guard there offered to let one of our girls use the bathroom there. My DH was going to go with her but she decided not to because she would have had to take her muster station band off and that was a pain. So we did not check out the resort.

The cab was $55 round trip for 4 people. The rates are clearly posted at the cab stand. The cab waited 3+ hours for us. The rate included a 2 hour wait. The 3rd hour is $10 or you can negotiate.

The beach was beautiful. There were guys to help you with chairs etc. and they assigned themselves to you. They would get you beers and food too. They worked for tips and commission for what they sold you. They all wore orange T shirts with a logo on it. The main guy who helped us was Eddie "Murphy". Tito also helped us, with lifting me into the water as I do not walk. Eddie was a true operator and spoke English well. Tito is a big guy and quieter. We tipped them when we left. There were some shops there too. There are no bathrooms. The water is beautiful. For $10 a person they will take you out on a boat to snorkel. People who did it said the reef was beautiful. My DH swam out but it is far. He is a very strong swimmer. The drive to Bahayibe is about 25 minutes to a half hour.

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

We have out of town company arriving today so it may take me a day or so.

Jean

I just retured from our 12/14 cruise on Explorer of the Seas - at Casa De Campo stop in DR, as you exit you can do either of two shuttle busses that are offered one was as said before Altos De Chavron $7.00 round trip in air conditioned vans. That is the one we did as well it was very nice and the van service back to the ship were running every half hour. So you had plenty of time to see and do as you please and not feel rushed.

The 2nd option was $5.00 round trip per person to the Marina which had a few stores / mall area etc.

So, if I read this right, and we are in port from 11 AM to 6 PM, we should be able to 'shuttle' to the Marina and back, then to Altos de Chavon within the alloted time period?

Has anyone gone to the Marina area, and how does it compare to Altos??

Any help is appreciated... :)

Dave - I understand that there is a little 'recreated village' near the port that is a reproduction of a typical Mediterranean town from the past. I have read that it has some (expensive) shops. Some people have said it takes about an hour to go through. I'll bet Denise & I could spend more time than that there!;)

I'm sure others responded, but this place is called Altos, and we spent an hour there during our morning-only time in port.

read this: "Waste of Time"... don't do it unless you expect to be underwhelmed.

my daughter went to the beach resort ($44 or so per person.. I think RCI charged $55/pp) mentioned earlier and loved it.

Archived