Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Ok i did some homework on the port looks like the 1st EOS sailing to go there will be 10/26, then the 11/23. I was reading on the boards for those 2 cruises and there having the same problem as the rest of us. Not much info yet. Im going to post a message on their boards to see if maybe they would be so kind to post things they saw and did when they return from their cruise.

Smart thinking there!:D

Ok i did some homework on the port looks like the 1st EOS sailing to go there will be 10/26, then the 11/23. I was reading on the boards for those 2 cruises and there having the same problem as the rest of us. Not much info yet. Im going to post a message on their boards to see if maybe they would be so kind to post things they saw and did when they return from their cruise.

I was hoping to get some good info here as to what to do in DR but I guess that ain't happening since you are scoping out our roll call!! :eek: lol!!!

There's not much info on what to do here because, basically, there's not much to do here. I've been there twice. First time we got off the ship and then right back on. The second time I had my sons with me... g'ma stayed on the ship, I took the boys horseback riding. We're going again (NOT my first choice but I got over ruled on the itinerary)... this time kids are older and I'm hoping to find a hotel we can get day passes for. This "port" is my least favorite. If someone knows of ANYTHING fun to do here... please, let us ALL know. Oh... if you golf, I think I remember someone saying there's a great course here.

Personally, I feel this port is a wasted day.

MECruzr

Looks like we might go with this ship tour through RCI:

An overall sightseeing tour of La Romana and its surroundings; comfortable “safari-style” open top trucks will take you into the Dominican countryside. See and feel the lifestyle and friendliness of the local people, come with us to visit the sugar cane plantation where you will try fresh cut sugar cane and learn about this amazing industry. Then, sightsee the largest collection of Orchids & Cactus in the Dominican Republic. From there, visit a cigar factory where you will see Dominican cigars being made. For souvenirs, you will be taken to a gift shop where you are greeted with a Mama Juana welcome drink, sample fresh exotic fruit, browse around and shop for approx 45 min. before returning to the pier.

Looks like we might go with this ship tour through RCI:

An overall sightseeing tour of La Romana and its surroundings; comfortable “safari-style” open top trucks will take you into the Dominican countryside. See and feel the lifestyle and friendliness of the local people, come with us to visit the sugar cane plantation where you will try fresh cut sugar cane and learn about this amazing industry. Then, sightsee the largest collection of Orchids & Cactus in the Dominican Republic. From there, visit a cigar factory where you will see Dominican cigars being made. For souvenirs, you will be taken to a gift shop where you are greeted with a Mama Juana welcome drink, sample fresh exotic fruit, browse around and shop for approx 45 min. before returning to the pier.

I saw that one too. I've never been to a sugar cane factory - might be interesting. I was looking at the Santo Doming Tour, but a friend at work who has been there said it is just a big, dirty city.:( Be sure to let us know how you like the tour if you decide to do that one!:)

I saw that one too. I've never been to a sugar cane factory - might be interesting. I was looking at the Santo Doming Tour, but a friend at work who has been there said it is just a big, dirty city.:( Be sure to let us know how you like the tour if you decide to do that one!:)

"just a big, dirty city"... wow.. what a statement..First Santo Domingo is a very historical city with lots to see, BUT ido not recommend taking the trip from the cruise lines, because it is much too long a drive and you really do't get a chance to see much...There in S.D. is the home of the son of Colombus, the Mercado Modelo which I'm sure your friend called "dirty", but it's not for the faint hearted, but an experience..There are people/tourists who are better off going to Aruba or other places where the poor are hidden away..THE Dominican Republic is a third world country trying hard and their main industry right now is tourism..They are generous and friendly people and will go out of their way to help you... and I don't find that feeling in other countries.

If your going to go shopping...you want to buy at the La Romana supermaket Santo Domingo coffee beans, pure vanilla(bought by all the pastry chefs in the U.S.).. Larimar, a turquoise colored stone only available in the D.R. As I've written earlier go to the Sunscape Casa del Mar if your looking for a lovely beach day.

I am very interested in a historical tour and seeing poverty does not spoil my vacation by any means. I am truly interested in how other people live. DH and I have gone to build houses in some desperately poor areas so, no, that is not a problem for me. However, if it is just a quick look at a big city with poverty area I can do that right here! I was simply repeating what a co-worker told me who has been there several times. Right or wrong so far he is the only one who has answered any inquiry of mine as to what we can expect to find on a tour of this type on the island. He obviously does not care for the city and prefers the resort areas.

I really want to know if the tour does truly let us see the history of this island. I do want to stay with the ship tour because of the time involvement. I was hoping to get someone's opinion of this particular tour by someone who has "been there and done that".:) I am afraid that what you said about the time involvement and what we could expect to see may be true. I am hoping that we are both wrong! I would prefer not to do a beach day as I stated before.

I am very interested in a historical tour and seeing poverty does not spoil my vacation by any means. I am truly interested in how other people live. DH and I have gone to build houses in some desperately poor areas so, no, that is not a problem for me. However, if it is just a quick look at a big city with poverty area I can do that right here! I was simply repeating what a co-worker told me who has been there several times. Right or wrong so far he is the only one who has answered any inquiry of mine as to what we can expect to find on a tour of this type on the island. He obviously does not care for the city and prefers the resort areas.

I really want to know if the tour does truly let us see the history of this island. I do want to stay with the ship tour because of the time involvement. I was hoping to get someone's opinion of this particular tour by someone who has "been there and done that".:) I am afraid that what you said about the time involvement and what we could expect to see may be true. I am hoping that we are both wrong! I would prefer not to do a beach day as I stated before.

Approx. 20 years plus we started going to the D.R for vacations to Santo Domingo at least three times...so we "have been there and done that"...What you will see from the bus will be the statue of Colombus,it may let you off at his sons home and what I am trying to tell you is that almost your entire time will be spent looking at S.D. from a bus. Now, if you are going to spend time in the city.. I can send you to a local seafood restaurant...not on the tourist list.. or you can go to Vesuvious for a pizza. Don't ask me how but I know how to find my way upstairs at the Mercado Modelo to the "money changer" among the meat vendors. So, ask one of the "green shirt" men to find y ou a cab/guide and drive around La Romana..the zolca, get an ice cream across the street, visit the church and have him give you a tour of La Romana.. There is a little city outside La Romana where the Red Sox have their D.R. camp, but I don't know if it's opened to tourists yet.. You will see on mopeds and scooters young Dominican boys going to play baseball with their bat and uniform..If your going with a group.. you maybe able to negotiate a tour of S.D. but I warn you these men drive like maniacs and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should y ou rent a car...NONE..

Approx. 20 years plus we started going to the D.R for vacations to Santo Domingo at least three times...so we "have been there and done that"...What you will see from the bus will be the statue of Colombus,it may let you off at his sons home and what I am trying to tell you is that almost your entire time will be spent looking at S.D. from a bus. Now, if you are going to spend time in the city.. I can send you to a local seafood restaurant...not on the tourist list.. or you can go to Vesuvious for a pizza. Don't ask me how but I know how to find my way upstairs at the Mercado Modelo to the "money changer" among the meat vendors. So, ask one of the "green shirt" men to find y ou a cab/guide and drive around La Romana..the zolca, get an ice cream across the street, visit the church and have him give you a tour of La Romana.. There is a little city outside La Romana where the Red Sox have their D.R. camp, but I don't know if it's opened to tourists yet.. You will see on mopeds and scooters young Dominican boys going to play baseball with their bat and uniform..If your going with a group.. you maybe able to negotiate a tour of S.D. but I warn you these men drive like maniacs and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should y ou rent a car...NONE.. A Just for the record.. we have been to the D.R. over one dozen times... from Santo Dominigo, La Romana, Punta Cana and Puerta Platta (where we took a cab to Santiago to a real cigar factory...not a tourist trap)

I was hoping to get some good info here as to what to do in DR but I guess that ain't happening since you are scoping out our roll call!! :eek: lol!!!

Hey!

Its the only way to find out what others have found out. Were all friends here we all have one thing in common, we love to cruise and need to find interesting things to do at each port. Will keep you posted when I find out something interesting.

What tour is the Santo Domingo tour? Not sure that I saw that one.

IrisMike - I am on the 10/26 sailing.

I saw that one it takes 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to drive back according to the description of it. I'm not one for long drives just to look at a place that is simiar to NYC.

Approx. 20 years plus we started going to the D.R for vacations to Santo Domingo at least three times...so we "have been there and done that"...What you will see from the bus will be the statue of Colombus,it may let you off at his sons home and what I am trying to tell you is that almost your entire time will be spent looking at S.D. from a bus.

Thanks! That is what I have been trying to figure out. I don't think that I want to spend the whole day on a bus. I am also not comfortable doing any of this port, since it is a completely new place for us, "on our own". I don't believe anyone we will be with has been there before either. So maybe we will opt for a shorter tour & also go to Altos de Chavon. We still have plenty of time to figure it out.:)

Hazeleyes - do you (or anyone else) know how far Altos de Chevon is from the ship? Can we walk there or do we need a tour or cab? We have some friends who are looking at the Altos de Chavon & Mississippi Boat Tour. I'm not sure what that one is all about?:confused:

Here is the tour that our friends are looking at. It is 3 hours long and $62. My question is: How close is Altos de Chavon to the ship and is it practical to go there on your own. How about the boat ride? Has anyone done this?

Come and visit the artist village ‘Altos de Chavon’ which is a replica of a medieval south European village. Learn all about its history, and take some time to stroll or have a coffee at a terrace. After this we go down the hill onto the Chavon river, with its marvellous vegetation, for a river tour on the ‘River Princess’; replica of a Mississippi steamboat. Savour a delicious drink while enjoying the impressive surroundings.

Here is another tour that I am interested in. Not so far from the ship, so I think we may see more of the local culture on this one than the Santo Domingo Tour. It is $32 and is 5 hours long. Also, would we be able to combine this with a visit to Altos de Chavon on our own?

Higuey Pilgrimage City of Dominican Republic

Step back in time as you visit Higuey and Bayahibe - both express differences in style of living but share one common similarity - Faith. Thousands of Dominicans pilgrimage to the village of Higuey, where the great “Basilica” stands to honor the sighting of the “Virgin Mary.” It is advised to bring comfortable shoes, sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat. To be able to enter the Basilica and Old Cathedral, you must cover the knees and shoulders.

Any comments or advise on either of these?

This one on the RCI website looks good, too. I think DH would like it!:D

Join us for an adventure of a lifetime as you explore the beauty of La Romana and Bayahibe by Jeep. Discover off-road wonders and the tropical diversity of the South coast as you take turns driving your own 4 x 4 Jeep. You will enjoy passing by endless sugarcane plantations, beautiful views of the peninsula's flora and fauna. Your stops will be in the sugarcane plantation, at a local school, at 'the house of grandma (la casa de la abuela) and at the cacao and coffee plantations. You will be offered water, softdrinks and some hot and cold snacks on the way. Note: Participants must be 12 years of age to join the tour and 18 years of age to drive. Driver must provide a valid drivers license. This tour is not recommended for pregnant women and people with back problems.

I checked with him - yep, he would like it! I've never seen coffee or sugar cane plantations before. If anyone has done this one - let us know!:)

Thanks! That is what I have been trying to figure out. I don't think that I want to spend the whole day on a bus. I am also not comfortable doing any of this port, since it is a completely new place for us, "on our own". I don't believe anyone we will be with has been there before either. So maybe we will opt for a shorter tour & also go to Altos de Chavon. We still have plenty of time to figure it out.:)

Hazeleyes - do you (or anyone else) know how far Altos de Chevon is from the ship? Can we walk there or do we need a tour or cab? We have some friends who are looking at the Altos de Chavon & Mississippi Boat Tour. I'm not sure what that one is all about?:confused:

Im not sure how far it is either. Im still looking into other things i can find. When i find stuff ill post it here. Keep doing the same guys! Thanks!

altos chevon is not walkable from the pier.. actually nothng is walkble from the pier..You can take a taxi to Altos.. if your ship is there at nite book the Kandela excursion from the ship... and you will see Altos at nite and a fabulous show

altos chevon is not walkable from the pier.. actually nothng is walkble from the pier..You can take a taxi to Altos.. if your ship is there at nite book the Kandela excursion from the ship... and you will see Altos at nite and a fabulous show

Thanks, Star! Is it a far taxi drive? I am trying to figure out if I can mix a visit to Altos with another excrusion. We are in port from 11 - 6. Since we have to be onboard by 5:30, I guess that leave out an evening show.:(

We cant do a night show our ship leaves early :(

I haven't been to the pier that the ships come in on, but I have been to Altos De Chevon. You would definately need a taxi, but it shouldn't be too far away. It really only takes an hour (2 hours max) to see the village, so I would recommend you combine it with a trip to La Romana. You could take a look at my photos to give you an idea.

http://www.pbase.com/2112/dominican_republic

Thank you for your pictures - very cool!:cool:

I love the pictures of Altos de Chevon. Not sure about La Romana yet. How far is Altos from La Romana and how do you get there? Do you recommend staying with a ship's tour? How far is La Romana from where the ship docks (time wise)?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but it seems the more I get answered, the more questions I have!:rolleyes: :o

Archived