Pregnancy ????

ready2cruise07

I have a question about cruising while pregnant. My boyfriend and I are very excited about starting a family this year. We are also going on a cruise the 1st of December with my family and some friends, so getting pregnant now is not an option because I would be 9 months by time the cruise came around. We are discussing our options. Should we start trying in August because if I were to get pregnant then I would be only about 4 months or should we wait until after the cruise. (We are leaning more towards Augs then waiting till after the cruise) Im just a little bit worried about being so far from my Dr. and pregnant. Im sure if it is a heathly pregnancy all would be fine. I just would like some of your thoughts about cruising while in your 1st or early 2nd trimester. Any advice would really help.

event.png

Hi,

I'd probably wait try to wait to start trying - or see if you can cruise earlier. Although a cruising with a wee one is fun, I think everyone should have a chance to enjoy it without kids - it's such a relaxing experience!

If you can, try to choose an itinerary that is somewhat close to home and/or one that is not going to the more exotic ports. This way you are more likely to have good help nearby if you are pregnant.

We booked a cruise before we started trying to have our second baby, and I was 2.5 months pregnant on the cruise to Hawaii. I was glad we were on US soil for the ports of call and that we could take it easy (terrible morning sickness!). The staff were great in getting me whatever I craved and/or whatever would settle my tummy.

Make sure you buy travel insurance in case last minute you can't go or you need to leave in the middle of the cruise. And check for pre-exisitng conditions coverage. Our policy covered my pregnancy for pre-exisiting conditions but it required purchase of the insurance within 21 days of buying the cruise.

The best time to travel is your 2nd trimester. By that time, hopefully, any morning sickness is done and you have avoided any trickiness/complications that pop up in the 3rd trimester.

Have fun and good luck! :)

Check out my post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=515400

You never know how long it will take you to get pregnant. I would decide which is more important to you at this point. If you got pregnant immediately, wouldn't you still have time to cancel with no penalties? If you really want to go on the cruise then wait until the summer to start trying to conceive.

Good luck!

Thanks for your responses. We really do want to go on the cruise with the family, so we are going to wait until Aug to start trying, and like you said CANTWAIT2CRUISE we dont know how long it will take to get pregnant so at least if we start in AUG. I would not be to far along to cruise in DEC. Of course I will talk all this over with my Doctor when the time comes. There would be know way that I would cruise if I knew it would be 2 dangerous for me or the baby.

Having had 3 kids and being sick all 3 times, I would consider which is more important. What I mean, is how important is going on this specific cruise? If you were to get pregnant in Aug., and you were unable to go on this cruise would that be a big deal? If so you might want to consider waiting until the cruise to get pregnant. It is possible that if you were pregnant you may not feel up to cruising. All that being said, I did cruise when I was 8 wks preg, and I had a great time. However, I would never schedule a cruise knowing that I would be pregnant at the time of the cruise.

Sherry

I hate to say this and do not want to scare anyone. I have had 2 miscarriages in my past that ended in emergancy D and C's at the hospital. The second one I hemorrhaged so much I almost had to have a blood transfusion, this all happened within 24 hours. I was 10 weeks and 8 weeks along. And had no idea it would happen. I know most people have absolutely no problems but the thought of being at sea and being pg scares me to death.

MJ

I note in the information from NCL that an expectant mother has to have a medical certificate from her doctor and that guests who will enter their 24th week by the end of the cruise are not accepted. I don't know what other cruise lines policies are, but this should help you in your timing.

I note in the information from NCL that an expectant mother has to have a medical certificate from her doctor and that guests who will enter their 24th week by the end of the cruise are not accepted. I don't know what other cruise lines policies are, but this should help you in your timing.

Most of them are very similar, I just don't think I would even think of getting pregnant and then cruising. If a baby is your main goal right now, forget the cruise. Having a child is a big decision, it is something that will become your number 1 concern for many years, should be much more important than when to go on a cruise. If cruising with the family is very important, think a long time before you decide to have a baby. I know we are not here to judge, but many of us are just thinking about what might be the better answer. Pregnancy isn't a sickness, but there are still many things you need to think about when you are carrying the little one.

NMnita

I've never been pregnant (both of my kids are adopted) so I really don't know firsthand what the best advice might be. However, if people here are saying that the first trimester might be filled with morning sickness and fatigue, but the second trimester is better, if your cruise is December 1st, why not try getting pregnant in June, July and August? If you're not successful during those months, stop trying to get pregnant as of September 1st, then start again on your cruise. The only issue would be if you do get pregnant, then are having a difficult pregnancy, cruising might not be a good option. I wish you the best of luck -- I waited 45 years to have kids and it's the best decision I think I've ever made.

I went on my first cruise when I was 3 months pregnant. I had no problems except I wanted to go horseback riding and they said I shouldn't and I couldn't drink. Other than that I had a great time!! I was really tired though and went to bed early almost every night. But, I had plenty of good food to satisfy my every craving and I gained quite a bit on the cruise. It was a 5 nighter to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. In Jamaica I went on the zip line!! Don't let pregnancy deter you from having a WONDERFUL cruise!! I DIDN'T!!;)

:D I personally wouldn't cruise with a baby nor would I do so pregnant(again). My cruise last year was a mess because I was about 8 weeks preggo at the time and on top of morning sickness I was sea sick and I caught some bug and was sick weeks after the cruise had ended. Now that could have happened to anyone (not juts a pregnant lady) but boy did being pregnant (hormones and such) make it worse.

Also, I was kinda irritated that I couldn't enjoy a drink or two while on the ship...I was tired a lot and couldn't really enjoy the activites either.

Now, I have a newborn (well he's 3 months old now) and I had to travel (air) with him this past weekend. That, as well, was a nightmare b/c of having to lug all of his stuff and keep him from the coughers, smokers, sneezers, nose wipers, finger lickers, and so on...

If I were you I would cruise and then try...and not cruise again until the baby is old enough to enjoy the kids activities...just MHO.

Also, what's the rush!!!! lol

I love my kiddies but if I had to do it all over again I would have waited a few years for us to enjoy our marriage before I started baking babies...

I was 4 months pregnent when I went on a cruise

Because I went to bed early at night i was up first thing in the morning and could sit in a deck chair with no one around me -I loved it.

Do what is best for you and your boyfriend-you both know best

You should check with your cruise line on their policy. RCCL policy states: "If pregnant guests have entered or will be entering their 27th week before or during the cruise, they will be unable to travel. A physician's Fit to Travel note stating that they are in good health, not a high risk pregnancy, and not entering the 27th week is required. " I would hate to get to the pier and find out that the won't let you board the ship.:( What ever you choose, it always pays to do a little research first.

• 2 weeks later...
1. get married

2.take cruise

3.work on geting pregnant while on cruise

I agree with the above person. Cart before the horse after a 7-9 year relationship? Guess it's just the boomer in me saying make sure this is what you want. Best wishes if it is. Safe cruising.

I have also had three miscarriages, all first trimester( I have also had three kids, so don't worry!) and my doctor always said that when miscarriages happen there is almost no stopping them, and that they were meant to happen( this applies to first trimester miscarriages only) . Bedrest, diet, nothing will stop it once the body has decided to end the pregnancy.. my point being , if you are on the cruise or not will make no difference. So if your concern is for the babys well being, don't worry, if will be fine if it is meant to be, there is nothing inherent in the cruise itself that would " bring on " a misscarriage.

Would I choose to cruise in the first trimester,, NO WAY. I find the first three months way too tiring, actually most of my pregnancys were tiring all the way through! I also found that I got motion sick really easy when I was pregnant, and so, being pregnant and seasick, and not being able to medicate, wow , that sounds like no fun to me!

So I don't see a health risk, I do see a lack of comfort and fun risk.

PS,I can understand you two single adults not getting married, but , once a child enters I think you should rethink it. My sister has been with her partner for 14 yrs, and two kids, and the kids hate the fact that their parents don't have the same name, ( because they have their dads last name and the mom has her maiden name) , they are at an age 9 and 12 where they have made comments and had comments made to them, ,.This has really caught my sister off guard, she never thought the kids would care, or even really notice, but apparently kids at school noticed the difference and tease.

PS It is a bummer not having even a single tropical drink on a cruise, but I realize that its not a big deal, I mean, its not like you could drink at home either right!

If I were you, I'd wait until after the cruise to "try". According to your profile, you're 27 years old. You have plenty of time. What's a few more months? I'm sure this cruise is going to be special to you. Why would you risk compromising your good time with the normal "side effects" of pregnancy, let alone possible complications. Additionally, you run the risk of having to obtain health care on board the ship (not American standards of care) or while in port. As a obstetric nurse I see ladies all the time with complications that would, if not risk her and baby's health, for sure ruin a vacation. It's a calculated risk I personally wouldn't take. Go on your cruise, eat drink and be merry THEN go home and make a baby. Have fun with all of it. But for your sake, do it in the right order.

Archived