Alaska Road Trip, Oh My!

jstpshe

Okay should I fly into Fairbanks or Anchorage to do this?

Where do I pick up a rental car from either of these places at, nothing fancy but dependable?

In what order should I visit these places, keeping in mind that my final destination will be Seward to board the ship after what I hope will be a nice land trip?

I want to visit Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage and Seward but I'll only have 7 nights or am I expecting to see too much on this first trip to Alaska?

Can I see alot in these places during that length of time?

Can you tell me what not to miss at any of these places and can anyone suggest places to stay/eat at along the way?

I like seeing wildlife, flying, dogsledding, glacier viewing, oh just about anything but I won't be fishing on this trip.

Would like to have some relaxing views of things too but I don't have a problem getting around if I need to. I'm very outdoorsy and energetic.

Sorry so many questions but I'm very nervous about doing this on my own in a place I know nothing about.

I sure would'nt want this surprise vacation for DH to turn out bad.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP IN ANY WAY YOU CAN!

Thanks alot! CJ :) :)

I would suggest flying into Fairbanks, and spending that day there. Next day, leisurely drive to Denali, where you should overnight for 2 nights. Leisurely drive to Wasilla, stopping in Talkeetna on the way. The reason I suggest stopping in Wasilla for the night is that there is so much to do in the area...scenic drive to Independence Mine and/or Matanuska Glacier, musk ox farm, reindeer farm, wolf farm, Iditarod headquarters, several Iditarod mushers live in the area and you can visit their operations, many options for places to stay, hikes if you like to be active, atv tours, rafting trips, flightseeing, etc. There is no reason to spend the night in Anchorage unless there are several specific things you want to see or do that can only be found there.

Leisurely drive (or turn in the car and take the train from Anchorage) to Seward for 2 nights. If you have time for another night, you could easily spend it in the Wasilla area or Anchorage...there is plenty to do.

I think 7 nights should be enough to do what you want for the most part. It will probably take a fair days drive to get from Fairbanks to Denali. I suggest you stay the night and then spend the whole next day exploring Denali. Word to the wise: Take the bus tour through the park. They just upgraded to the nice new tour buses (used to be old school buses). You will not be allowed to drive through the park as far as the buses can take you UNLESS you can somehow get the park to grant you a pass (yeah right, good luck on that). The Denali Princess Lodge is beautiful, but I heard that there was a fire there recently so you should call first. I have stayed at the Grande Denali Lodge which has a breathtaking view but the steep and extremely winding/narrow road leading to the road is a bit of a turn-off for me, IMO.

Between Denali and Talkeetna is a neat little Diner called Mary's McKinley View Lodge. It was started by a lady named Mary Carey is one of the first women homesteaders in that area. The diner is still run by her relatives and are always happy to tell you stories about her.

Not a whole lot to see in Talkeetna, but the McKinley Princess Lodge is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. The best part about it, is the view of Mt. McKinley from the back deck can not be beat! Also, sometimes McKinley can be hard to view because it may be clouded over. If you request at the front desk, they will give you a courtesy call when the mountain clears and the view is nice.

In Seward I highly recommend taking a tour of Kenai Fjords National Park. I suggest one of the full day tours as you will see more wildlife and they usually stop at Fox Island for lunch (salmon bake).

Almost forgot to mention that you could visit the Matanuska Glacier (one of the largest that you can actually walk right up to quite easily). However, this is on a seperate road from the Parks Hwy (which connects Wasilla to Denali). You would have to take the Glenn Hwy which connects neighboring Palmer to the Alaska Canadian Hwy. The Glacier is a fair days drive from Wasilla in the opposite direction of Anchorage/Seward so it's pretty far out of the way, but worth the trip. Good luck on your vacation!

Celeste

One way car rentals, Fairbanks/Anchorage are extremely costly so check for availabity and costs for both a one way and round trip Anchorage.

My suggestion- If you fly into Fairbanks- you need 2 nights there, so to see the area. Many flights are later arrivals. Denali park 2 nights, with the shuttle buses- yes- school buses. Reason- you get farther into the Park, my min. distance for my preferences is Fish Creek. The tour bus described above goes to mile 53. Significant is a bear habitat between mile 53 and 66. Costs are also triple what the shuttle bus is. You do have to bring all your own food and drink with you on the shuttle bus. (stock up with groceries in Fairbanks, if going north- by Wasilla).

You can overnight in Talkeetna, if you have activities planned, or continue to Anchorage and do activites there. Or one night each. :) Turn in the car, and book the Alaska RR to Seward leaving 6:45am. Book one overnight. On to ship - don't be in a rush to board, and consider spending the day enjoying the excellent activies Seward has to offer.

Denali park 2 nights, with the shuttle buses- yes- school buses. Reason- you get farther into the Park, my min. distance for my preferences is Fish Creek. The tour bus described above goes to mile 53. Significant is a bear habitat between mile 53 and 66. Costs are also triple what the shuttle bus is. You do have to bring all your own food and drink with you on the shuttle bus. (stock up with groceries in Fairbanks, if going north- by Wasilla).

Budget Queen, I don't know when you last visited Denali, but when I went last May, they weren't using the old school buses anymore and they did provide a nice box lunch for everyone. Just something to keep in mind.

Celeste

Budget Queen, I don't know when you last visited Denali, but when I went last May, they weren't using the old school buses anymore and they did provide a nice box lunch for everyone. Just something to keep in mind.

Celeste

My reference is to the shuttle buses and they certainly are using the heavy duty suspension school buses they have for years. You are referring to the tan TOUR buses, I'm talking about the green buses.

Celeste

When we took the shuttle bus in June 2006, it was a 'school bus' type bus, and no lunches were provided.

I understand the tour bus does provide lunch, but after reading advice posted here (by BQ and others), we didn't feel the need to pay 2X+ as much for the tour bus with its box lunch:). We were well pleased with our cost-saving choice on the shuttle bus, seeing the same sights as the tour bus, and packing our own sandwiches. We used our savings to enjoy dinner and the show at the Denali Cabin Nite dinner theater that evening (with TourSaver coupons, I might add!;)).

Would like to have some relaxing views of things too but I don't have a problem getting around if I need to. I'm very outdoorsy and energetic.

Sorry so many questions but I'm very nervous about doing this on my own in a place I know nothing about.

Nothing to be nervous about - Alaska is very easy to get around in.

Since you are very outdoorsy and energetic, I would suggest two things - plan at least a full day at Denali NP, get the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake and get off the bus. You can get off the bus anywhere the bus stops but my suggestion would be to take the bus to Wonder Lake, then get off on the way back and catch any other bus returning. Very close to where the bus stops at Wonder Lake is the trailhead for the McKinley Bar Trail - the only formal trail in the park that is not near the park entrance. It is a nice +-2 hour round trip hike to the McKinley River Bar and back. Nice place for a picnic lunch. Otherwise there are lots of other places to hike. Stony Hill area is one I have hiked in before. Secondly, you might consider a third night at Denali if you want to go hiking. You can sign up for Discovery Hikes one day in advance at the visitor center. The hikes are free - you just pay for the bus to get you to where they start hiking. This is a guided hike. There is conflicting info on this board re: when to sign up and how soon in advance it books up. Though I can't find it now, the Denali NP website said to sign up a day in advance at the visitor center.

Also, it is only a 2 hour or so drive from Fairbanks to Denali so depending on your timetable, you would have time the day of arrival at Denali to do some things - drive the first 15 miles of the park road, see the visitor center and film there, or take one of the hikes near the park entrance.

If you like the outdoors, don't cut your time at Denali too short.

Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas. Will difinately take all of them into consideration.

I'm planning on staying at least 2 days in Denali and then moving on.

I was taking Alaska Air from Anchorage to Fairbanks should I just get a rental car at the airport or somewhere else in Anchorage and then head to Fairbanks and back to Anchorage?

BudgetQueen mentioned it being expensive doing a 1 way that I figured this might be a good way around it.

Then I'll take the AK RR to Seward and do the all day Kenai Fjord Tours and something else until we are ready to get on the ship.

So if I'm working my trip like this(Rd trip Anc.to Anc) am I wasting too much more of my time?

How would I line things up now with it being a round trip or not?

Would love to hear more

Anybody else, Been there Done it?

.CJ :) :)

Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas. Will difinately take all of them into consideration.

I'm planning on staying at least 2 days in Denali and then moving on.

I was taking Alaska Air from Anchorage to Fairbanks should I just get a rental car at the airport or somewhere else in Anchorage and then head to Fairbanks and back to Anchorage?

BudgetQueen mentioned it being expensive doing a 1 way that I figured this might be a good way around it.

Then I'll take the AK RR to Seward and do the all day Kenai Fjord Tours and something else until we are ready to get on the ship.

So if I'm working my trip like this(Rd trip Anc.to Anc) am I wasting too much more of my time?

How would I line things up now with it being a round trip or not?

Would love to hear more

Anybody else, Been there Done it?

.CJ :) :)

I have never done a one way Fairbanks/Anchorage and find a round trip Anchorage is very doable with a rental car. You can easily take the Alaska RR the same day as your sailing, enjoy a Kenai Fjords boat tour, and then board your cruise. A long day- but who cares!!! :)

If you happen to spend a night in Seward before your cruise, you might consider getting to Exit Glacier. There is the Harding Icefield Trail that sounds very interesting which I am planning to hike part of this summer (our schedule doesn't allow going the entire 3+ miles each way). You can find info at:

https://cms.akr.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/harding_icefield_trail.htm

If you are taking the train to Seward, you will need to take a taxi there and back. Or perhaps there are other options to get there that people on this board might know about.

John

We are book on SB criuse for May 20, 2007 on HAL Ryndam.

We want to fly in a few days early but only will have 3-4 days due to work.

I have 2 ideas:

1) Fly into Fairbanks arriving at 1:00am May 17th, overnight then board the train for Danali arriving at 12:30pm. stay for the night and see some of the park but the busses don't go any further than Photochrome(?) that time of the year. Depart Denali May 18th to Anchorage by bus or train (which is better and are there different train that do the trip?) Then spend 2 days touring Anchorage and Seward before boarding our cruiise May 20th

2) fly into Anchorage May 17th arriving at 8:30pm then tour around Anchorage and Seward.

qusetions:

1) is it rushing too much to just see Danali for a few hours? and maybe because the busses are not running we could just ride thru (not overnight there) and have an extra day in Anchorage?

2) or should we just spend aout few days touring around Anc and Seward?

I have so many more questions but this is a good beginning!! BTW Budget Queen I live right out side of Syracuse!! Maybe we can talk some time!! This is our 4th cruise but first time to Alaska!!

We are book on SB criuse for May 20, 2007 on HAL Ryndam.

We want to fly in a few days early but only will have 3-4 days due to work.

I have 2 ideas:

1) Fly into Fairbanks arriving at 1:00am May 17th, overnight then board the train for Danali arriving at 12:30pm. stay for the night and see some of the park but the busses don't go any further than Photochrome(?) that time of the year. Depart Denali May 18th to Anchorage by bus or train (which is better and are there different train that do the trip?) Then spend 2 days touring Anchorage and Seward before boarding our cruiise May 20th

2) fly into Anchorage May 17th arriving at 8:30pm then tour around Anchorage and Seward.

qusetions:

1) is it rushing too much to just see Danali for a few hours? and maybe because the busses are not running we could just ride thru (not overnight there) and have an extra day in Anchorage?

2) or should we just spend aout few days touring around Anc and Seward?

I have so many more questions but this is a good beginning!! BTW Budget Queen I live right out side of Syracuse!! Maybe we can talk some time!! This is our 4th cruise but first time to Alaska!!

Hello Neighbor. :)

The Denali Park shuttle buses don't start until the 19th. So your only option in would be the short wilderness tour, or NHT. It is a tough choice but I would consider flying into Anchorage, and maybe overnighting in Talkeetna, take a flightseeing tour. Then backtracking and heading to Seward. There is more to do there, if of interest, easy to enjoy 2 days. Or split it between a day in Anchoarage and a day in Seward?? With your short time, make it count the most. I think one way from Fairbanks to Denali Park, doesn't do it in your timeframe.

Thanks!! I think that what we will do is fly into Anchorage and rent a car. here are some questions I have:

1) we have an HH guarentee which is an outside with a fully obstructed view. (it was a great deal and we are not ones to stay in our room). They said we will not get our room assignment till we check in...will it make a difference if we check in earlier or later? we will check in earlier if there is a possibility of getting a better room and then get odd the boat to tour Seward more.

2) We are very active (mid 40's) and have Kayaked around central New York...it is our passion!! (we have our own kayaks and will try anything). We want to do a Kayak trip where we will see marine life (dolphins, whales) and glaciers!! These are the 2 things we really want to see. Our ports are Seward, Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan and Vancouver. any suggestions? We are not so impressed with the land animals, we get excited if we see them but don't need to go searching for them. We just love nature and it's beauty!! Our favorite spot is the Grand Canon...maybe Alaska will win some of our heart too, but it has big compatition!!

3) we really want to do a flight seeing tour with a walk on a glacier. We have a 15% off coupon for tours booked thru cruiseonly.com. The one they offer is at Juneau and cost $210.00 is there a better one and can we get a better price else where? we are not against spending money if it is something we want to do and is worth it, but we love to travel so much we try to keep the cost down so we can travel more often!!

Well that is it for now, just booked this cruise wed last week so I have so much work ahead of me!! thanks for your help! I'm so excited it is hard to sleep.

Your room assignment will be fixed prior to your sailing day. So it makes no difference when you board. I am never in a rush to get on any Alaska cruise ship, instead make the most of the touring. There are several kayaking trips to consider in Seward as well as most of your ports, don't expect wildlife and For glaciers is Mendenhall- which is a lake and not very challenging. http://kenaifjords.com/658.cfm

There are several operators out of Seward

http://seward.com/dir_todo.asp?ID=70

Coastal Helicopters are usually the cheapest. Well run long standing company.

http://coastalhelicopters.com/t_icefield.htm

I have an offer for a book called "Alaska by Cruise Ship" it costs $23.00 with shipping and comes with a $25.00 HAL ship board credit....looks like a good deal. Have you ever seen this book?

I have an offer for a book called "Alaska by Cruise Ship" it costs $23.00 with shipping and comes with a $25.00 HAL ship board credit....looks like a good deal. Have you ever seen this book?

By Anne Vipond... it's listed here numerous times as a favorite by CC'rs.:)

It may also be in your library, it is mine. My opinion only, I don't purchase any books except for the MILEPOST. If you do purchase some, there may be little use for them after you get home, consider a library donation. :)

Archived