What Kind of Electronics Do you Schlep?

rufustelestrat

I always wondered, as my DW always accuses me of bringing Circuit City along with me. Here is why:

I usually bring the following:

1. 2 digital cameras
    • Digital SLR + 3 lenses
    • Digital Point and shoot
    • All chargers and memory items

[*]Additional Camera Memory

[*]External Camera hard drive to store Photos

[*]Laptop

[*]Laptop external Speakers

[*]MP3 player which can hook to Laptop Speakers to use as Boom Box

[*]Chargers for All items including Cell Phone.

[*]Miscilaneous cords including a spike strip, as not to fry any of the afore mentioned expensive electronics.

Any thoughts.. I know I have read that others even take video players and cameras, but I usually prefer to work in the still medium. I have a video camera, and it has been out of the case twice. That is why it is not on the list. I have thought about leaving the Lap top at home, but it has the softwear to look at the photos and make sure I can recover them from the card if there is a problem.

I always wondered, as my DW always accuses me of bringing Circuit City along with me. Here is why:

I usually bring the following:

1. 2 digital cameras
    • Digital SLR + 3 lenses
    • Digital Point and shoot
    • All chargers and memory items

[*]Additional Camera Memory

[*]External Camera hard drive to store Photos

[*]Laptop

[*]Laptop external Speakers

[*]MP3 player which can hook to Laptop Speakers to use as Boom Box

[*]Chargers for All items including Cell Phone.

[*]Miscilaneous cords including a spike strip, as not to fry any of the afore mentioned expensive electronics.

Any thoughts.. I know I have read that others even take video players and cameras, but I usually prefer to work in the still medium. I have a video camera, and it has been out of the case twice. That is why it is not on the list. I have thought about leaving the Lap top at home, but it has the softwear to look at the photos and make sure I can recover them from the card if there is a problem.

your Mrs is right lol :D :D :D

I live my entire day to day life with IPODS, PDAs, Cell phones, lap tops and 50 other things I am certain. ALL of that stuff is staying behind when I am gone. I am cruising on 4/01 and I can wait to break away form all of that stuff. I will take a camera and a couple of memory sticks. I will view pics after I get home. I will check email at port...maybe. I will listen to a wide variety of music on the ship.

I just want to detach for a week and carrying all of my "toys" will be a burden...screw it.

I think it's a bit overboard but that's just me. I'm tempted to bring my laptop but I've got plenty of memory card space for pictures and bringing external speakers is a little much for me. You can play mp3s off your laptop. Not as loud or good but I doubt you're throwing a party in your stateroom.

I bring:

Digital camera (point & shoot)

iPod

Cell phone

Other then the laptop (and external speakers), it doesn't seem too excessive.

I'll have a camera, a couple of memory cards, an MP3 player and cell phone (as we won't have the kids with us, and you just never know what might happen) plus chargers so I'm not much worse than you!

We bring digital camera, cell phone and the laptop. We usually leave the laptop behind but we may try out the wireless service on the ship.

DH is the consummate geek and loves to play with his toys!

Other then the laptop (and external speakers), it doesn't seem too excessive.

I'll have a camera, a couple of memory cards, an MP3 player and cell phone (as we won't have the kids with us, and you just never know what might happen) plus chargers so I'm not much worse than you!

The funny thing is this, I always have a cell phone handy. I went to Europe last year, and one of the first things I did was get a cell phone. It was not as expensive as you might think. I spent 45 euros and had 100+ minutes to call the US from Italy. I was there a week, and still have minutes left. I calculated that two calles from a phone booth center would cost almost as much, and from the room it was like $5 a minute.

RUF

3 out of us 4 have iPods, so that's an automatic. I have speakers for mine that come with us for entertainment in the stateroom.

Also, we carry a digital camera, cell (for land use), memory cards, GPSr, PDA, and all associated chargers.

Oh yes, nothing like "getting away from it all". :D

The only time I brought my laptop was when a hurricane was possibly headed towards the general area where our cruise was departing from. We wanted to have the laptop in order to stay up to date with weather information, hurricane forecasts, and any information on the cruise web site. That came in very handy.

However, I only used it in the hotel the nights before and after the cruise. The laptop was with me on the ship, but it was never turned on.

Laptop

Digital Camera

Camera battery charger

Misc cables to connect camera to laptop

Cell phone

Power strip

I used to bring my iPod, but since all of the music I want to listen to in my cabin is on iTunes on my laptop, I just use my laptop. I advise against using the iPod while on shore due to safety reasons. I want to be able to hear people and things around me.

Whoa :eek:

Yeah you win! No one else brings that much. :eek:

I thought we were bad with 2 portable DVD players and a gameboy. But you beat us. :p

The reason the laptop works good for me is that it has a 17" widescreen, and plays dvds so it acts just like your dvd player.

RUF

Our family:

*2 PSPs, 1 PSP movie / disc holder (for watching personal shows on the LONG plane trip)

*PSP charger

*2 mini Ipods ( I need music to go to sleep to)

*1 Ipod Charger

*Cell phone (for emergencies)

*Cell phone charger

*2 Digital cameras

*2 digital camera chargers (unfortunately they are specific to each camera type)

Which means we need to be sure to take a plug strip or nothings getting charged :)

Undecided on the laptop at this time. Pros: d/l pictures, play games, etc., Cons: damage, heavy, inconvenient etc.,

I live my entire day to day life with IPODS, PDAs, Cell phones, lap tops and 50 other things I am certain. ALL of that stuff is staying behind when I am gone. I am cruising on 4/01 and I can wait to break away form all of that stuff. I will take a camera and a couple of memory sticks. I will view pics after I get home. I will check email at port...maybe. I will listen to a wide variety of music on the ship.

I just want to detach for a week and carrying all of my "toys" will be a burden...screw it.

Yep. I agree.

Well does not look like too much ,But I would drop it down to one camera.

Last year we did not bring the laptop and could have used it . I lost a mem card last year and even though we had 5 ,by the time we got to disney world we had to pay to dump to a cd.

going to take the laptop this year and dump pics to the laptop everynight and burn to a cd or dvd in the morning while having my coffee on the balcony

Way more crap than we take. We take digital camera with enough memory cards to have 1000 + pictures (and haven't taken more than 100 per day yet). The cell phones get turned off and stowed in the safe after we leave the port of embarkation. If they kids are with us, there is NO need to turn them back on the entire trip. :p

We tend to bring a lot of electronic gear, too.

First of all, laptop so we can play DVD's on the train or airplane getting to port, and in case we want to watch something different than what the ship will be showing. We usually start collecting a few movie DVD's before a trip, that we haven't seen before, just for this purpose. Secondly, we can download to the laptop's harddrive.

We usually take two digital cameras (his and hers!) and if planning on underwater activities, the underwater housing for his digital camera. We also take a camcorder. We have a new one that records direct to a 5-hour capacity hard-drive. Of course we still have to figure out how that one works! *L*

We take our cell phones -- just in case. We do not normally actually USE them.

Then, all the chargers, etc., for all this stuff. Oh, and the User's Manuals...*L*

No MP3 or Ipods, though. We don't even have those!

Just the necessities...

Cell phone and charger (for before and after cruise)

Laptop (for checking in w/the business)

Dig Camera and extra memory cards

Vibrator

ipod

Camcorder (although I haven't used it on the last few cruises, so it will probably stay home next time)

Powerstrip

Like I said, just the necessities :D:D:D:p

Just the necessities...

Vibrator

ipod

Camcorder (although I haven't used it on the last few cruises, so it will probably stay home next time)

Powerstrip

Cell phone and charger (for before and after cruise) Definitely.

Laptop (for checking in w/the business) No way. I'm on vacation.

Dig Camera and extra memory cards Yep.

Vibrator Uh.... no comment ;)

ipod There's enough music on the ship for me.

Camcorder (although I haven't used it on the last few cruises, so it will probably stay home next time) My memory sucks so videos are essential.

Powerstrip Absolutely - perhaps two!

And extra camera batteries.

Just the necessities...

Vibrator

ipod

Powerstrip

You forgot your freakin batteries. :eek: Just be sure to leave them out of the appliances so as not to offend TSA.

Archived