What Kind of Electronics Do you Schlep?

rufustelestrat

Just the necessities...

Cell phone and charger (for before and after cruise)

Laptop (for checking in w/the business)

Dig Camera and extra memory cards

Vibrator

ipod

Camcorder (although I haven't used it on the last few cruises, so it will probably stay home next time)

Powerstrip

Like I said, just the necessities :D:D:D:p

LOL!!! Alright Lucy, you just made up for the iron tirade. ;)

Just the necessities...

Cell phone and charger (for before and after cruise)

Laptop (for checking in w/the business)

Dig Camera and extra memory cards

Vibrator

ipod

Camcorder (although I haven't used it on the last few cruises, so it will probably stay home next time)

Powerstrip

Like I said, just the necessities :D:p

Vibrator, Camcorder, & Powerstrip. Do these three go together:D ?

Make sure the v is offf going through security. Anyone remember the Drew Carrey episode when they planted one in his luggage?

Before you flame me for being JR high schoolish, In the words of Peter Pan I'll never grow up!!:D :cool:

Wow, some of you guys take a lot of stuff!!!

I just bring the cell phone, the digital camera, the underwater housing for the camera, and plenty of memory cards. Oh, and chargers for everything. We did take the video camera once, but it seemed too much of an effort to use it.

I probably will take the laptop in October, just to make it easier to check up on our son while we're gone. That's about it, though!! I took the Ipod once, but never used it. I don't really use it that often.

So my list of what I'm going to pack for my upcoming cruise:

1 Digital SLR w/2 lens (I don't bother with the kit lens or it'd be 3)

1 Point N Shoot Digital camera

1 Sony camcorder (nearly pocket sized)

2-3 iPods - 60Gb video for me, 30Gb video for my daughter and a 2Gb Nano for the wife if she wants it

1 USB memory card reader

2 cell phones

2 2-way radios

1 laptop

1 3G wireless data card for the laptop (internet *anywhere* I can roam on GSM networks)

All associated power/chargers/cables. Most of this fits in my SLR backpack as well.

Electronics are a desired part of my life. There's nothing like hiking through a rain forest, getting back on board and having a few drinks, nice meal, a little gambling and checking out the pictures I took during my port day and uploading them to a blog or online photo album for friends and relatives to enjoy.

Luckily we aren't about all the electronic crap we have in our homes too - I'd be embarrassed to list it all.

Wow, all the electronics huh?

Let's see...

Digital SLR, 3 lens & flash

Digital point & shoot

Digital underwater Camera (sometimes)

Camcorder

iPod

Speakers for iPod

Cell Phone

Backup Cell Phone (I drowned a cell phone once)

Marine VHF Radio

Chargers for everything

Extra memory for cameras

Plenty of tape for camcorder

Power Strip

Probably forgot something here but that's about it.

Newbie to cruising here - but on past trips (Hawaii, Europe) we took a laptop just to download photos and surf email for local attractions, resturants etc. For the cruise I think I can survive a week without my laptop (maybe) and just buy bigger memory cards for digital cameras. But teen daughter always travels with Apple Laptop to charge iPods (we have 4 for 4 people) and to download pictures. I can't live without my digital camera and iPod. If I have a seperate plug in charger for the iPods could I live without the Laptop? Seasoned cruisers with an internet habit and laptop addiction can you comment? I value your advice! Thanks.

I always wondered, as my DW always accuses me of bringing Circuit City along with me. Here is why:

I usually bring the following:

1. 2 digital cameras
    • Digital SLR + 3 lenses
    • Digital Point and shoot
    • All chargers and memory items

[*]Additional Camera Memory

[*]External Camera hard drive to store Photos

[*]Laptop

[*]Laptop external Speakers

[*]MP3 player which can hook to Laptop Speakers to use as Boom Box

[*]Chargers for All items including Cell Phone.

[*]Miscilaneous cords including a spike strip, as not to fry any of the afore mentioned expensive electronics.

Any thoughts.. I know I have read that others even take video players and cameras, but I usually prefer to work in the still medium. I have a video camera, and it has been out of the case twice. That is why it is not on the list. I have thought about leaving the Lap top at home, but it has the softwear to look at the photos and make sure I can recover them from the card if there is a problem.

I don't think that is too bad.

1. 3 digital cameras.

1 DLSR w/ 3 lenses

1 point and shoot pocket camera

1 Underwater camera (haven't gotten a U/W case for the DSLR yet)

2. Additional camera memory (12 different cards)

3. Camera batteries (8 total)

4. Laptop with all photo software

5. Ipod

6. External Ipod speakers

7. Chargers for everything

8. All needed cords and spike strip

9. Battery light for reading on balcony

10. Both of our cell phones, plus beeper (why I'm still not sure)

11. Handheld GPS

12. Flashlights

13. Laser pointers

14. Personal massagers

15. PDA

16. 2 1GB Jump drives

I think I got it all. Maybe...

Rufu,

Bring what ever will make you happy, you are on vacation. bottom line!!!

Look at how many pairs of shoes women brings on a trip.. lets see we have to have:

flip flops

work out shoes

sandals

dress shoes

shoes to go with capris

shoes to go with pants

shoes to go with skirts

get my point. what does it matter, I carry my own suit case, I assume you can carry your own backpack.

I am curious as to why people dowload there pics every day. wouldnt ample memory eliminate the need for that?

Memory cards can die. We download our cards to the laptop and back them up on an external harddrive. That means the pics are in 3 differant places and each one is carried in a differant piece of luggage.

Our electronics list:

1 laptop

2 external hard drive

3 2 digital cameras w/enough memory for the week

4 video camera w extra battery and charger

5 underwater camera housing (300ft) with inon strobe

6 20 rechargable AA with chargers. (We change batterys after each dive even if they have a god charge beacause it is mighty hard to do while 80 ft under water.)

7 2 cell phones with chargers

8 power strip

9 portable video player

10 2 ipods

11 just got the garmin nuvi 350 it will now be going with us also

Memory cards can die. We download our cards to the laptop and back them up on an external harddrive. That means the pics are in 3 differant places and each one is carried in a differant piece of luggage.

Thanks. I thought that might be the issue. I have never had it happen...yet. This is my honeymoon and I will be taking alot of pics. That said, I still can't bring myself to haul all of the crap that I use in my day to day life. It will feel wierd walking out of the house without ten gadgets and devices...it will feel wierd, but good. shoot, I am not even taking my phone.

Laptop

Digital Camera

Camera battery charger

Misc cables to connect camera to laptop

Cell phones (2)

Power strip

2 way radios

And now, thanks to this thread, I'll go grab the portable GPS as well. Ya never know when the captain may need help!!:rolleyes:

Might as well grab the satelite radio as long as I'm out there,,,,

Oh-oh,,,here comes the rolling pin!!:eek:

I am curious as to why people dowload there pics every day. wouldnt ample memory eliminate the need for that?

I do it because I have a 10 mp camera, and it can fill a 2Gig card in 1 hour. I have an 8 Gig card, and it can get full as well. In addition, one learns that the card can screw up, and crash like all electronics, thus saving the shots daily becomes a serious photographer's work flow. I always immediately down load the photos to the computer that way if there is a problem I know immeidately and can fix it, rather than take a Once in a lifetime shot and it come out unusable.

RUF

I am taking notes so I can try to find some of this luggage, I could really use some of this nice expensive electronic stuff!! I bring a stone tablet and chisel.

That is why it is in my carry on. In addition I have it insured. Take the laptop, leave the hard drive. Take the camera, leave the memory cards please. I could care less about the stuff other than it makes it way easier to remember, as I am getting Oldtimers, and tend to forget.

RUF

Laptop

Digital Camera

Camera battery charger

Misc cables to connect camera to laptop

Cell phones (2)

Power strip

2 way radios

And now, thanks to this thread, I'll go grab the portable GPS as well. Ya never know when the captain may need help!!:rolleyes:

Might as well grab the satelite radio as long as I'm out there,,,,

Oh-oh,,,here comes the rolling pin!!:eek:

I track the boat with the GPS so I can know when at sea we might be near land to get a shot, and in addition I can see celestrial info about Full moon and sunrise and sunset so better timing for photos. In addition I like to use on the excursions to see how far we walk, what elevations we are obtaining, and to chart this later.

RUF

Archived