Jewel Cruise Review March 18-25, 2007

happy tigress

Just got off the jewel last night (March 18 -25th).

Embarkation

It was a breeze. No tent for us. It took 30 minutes start to finish and without any problems. They took our passports because we are Canadians and we got it back when we reached Miami. They give you back a photocopy of it in your cabin.

Food

I was disappointed. We had lunch at Tsar's on the day we boarded and at that time, it wasn't very busy so they were quick. After that, every time we ate at one of the main dining rooms - the selection wasn't great, the food was lukewarm and the taste was bland. We never had problems with the service though.

We also ate at the Garden Cafe, Mama's, Tango's, Cagney's and Teppanyaki. Teppanyaki was by far the best of them all.

Cabin

We were in stateroom 8574 - obstructed ocean view. Don't let that fool you, you can still see partially through the lifeboats. Enough storage room. Each stateroom is individually temperate controlled. I needed an extra duvet and pillows and our room steward complied with a smile.

The sea was extremelly rough the first couple of days and the last couple of days. Make sure you bring the patches to put behind the ears - they work best. A lot of people were sick.

Ports of Call

San Juan - We took the city tour which we got as soon as you get off the ship for $20 p.p. for two hours. They show you old and new San Juan, El Morro and drop you back in the old San Juan shopping area. The ship's version of this is $49 p.p.

St. John's, Antigua - Got a day pass at the Grand Pineapple Beach Resort for $45 p.p. - all inclusive - drink/eat. You have to pay for cab ride to Long Bay at $8 p.p. Nice resort to spend the day at. We were there from 11 to 4. Small beach but beatiful.

St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. - Took a taxi to Charlotte Amalie for $4 p.p. and spent a couple of hours browsing the jewellery shops and then took a city tour for $20 p.p. Next time I would take the Sunny Liston tour for $25 p.p. - which is much more fun and informative from what I have heard and read on these boards.

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas - Total waste of time because the weather was windy and a bit on the cool side when the sun was behind the clouds. Water was extremely cold. They bring all the food from the ship except for the burgers which are cooked there. Burgers, pizza, chicken and salads. Did not each much until I got back on the ship. Island is small and the vendors in the straw market are extremely expensive. Lots of beach chairs for everyone. If you want to the hammocks, make sure you are on the first tender.

Shows

We saw Second City, Cirque de Bijou and the crew's Fountains. All three were excellent.

Disembarkation

Our flight was at 11:45 a.m. so we had the earliest debarkation time. They give you colour coded luggage tags and you have to leave your luggage outside your stateroom by 12 midnight. A word of advice, when they call out your colour, take the elevator and not the stairs. The elevator will take you straight down to the 4th deck whereas if you take the stairs, there will be major line ups. A lot of people crowded the stairs area and the people who were supposed to leave early, were having trouble getting down. Also, it is major mess when you get down to the pier and have to identify your luggage. A lot of bags in a line that all look the same.

Overall, had a great time on the cruise except for the food which was mediocre.

Naaz

Naaz-

Thanks for your review!

What time did you get to the port for embarkation? I'm hoping to have a similarly easy time when we go on 4/8.

TIA!

Unfortunately, we will be in a tent on April 8th. However, I've been watching and reading and it seems like things have improved with the tent situation. We'll see, it's not long now!:D

Shelly

Hi,

My embarkation time was around 12:30 p.m. but there were lots of people there already.

I just re-read my review and noticed an few spelling mistakes - please disregard those - I was quite tired when I was writing it.

Also, we disembarked at a different pier - about three ships down because there was another NCL ship docked at the original one. Actually, the bags were all set up in the giant tent.

They were extremely organized. I must say that I was extremely impressed with everything about NCL - very professional in their services and always willing to go the extra mile.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Naaz

Archived