First night and second formal night?

mueller74us

Hello!

Getting ready for my 1st cruise, in June, and have a couple wardrobe questions?

1. Is the dining room on embarkation truly so informal that I wouldn't have to concern myself with what I wear that evening? Meaning can I wear a tank top, long skirt and a DENIM jacket?

2. Is the second formal night really less formal than the first?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Yes, Jennifer, you can wear that outfit, or whatever you wear to board the ship - in the dining room on embarkation day. It's casual due to the fact that some do not receive their luggage by dinner time. (I think those who dress 'down' for late seating use that as an excuse.) Most luggage is delivered in a timely manner. I wear whatever I have on when boarding, but it's usually capris and nice top.

Second question...Yes, you won't see as many 'formal' type outfits on the second formal night. A cocktail dress or 'church dress' will do nicely.

2. Is the second formal night really less formal than the first?

That's the general opinion. It could be for a couple of reasons. One is that the Captain's Welcome Cocktail party is also held the night of the first formal night.

The other is that the first formal night tends to be on an "at sea" day, meaning people have more time to prepare, get dressed, get hair done, etc. The second formal night is probably on a port day, so people are off on excursions or at the beach all day, then have to get back to the ship and change for dinner.

But really, if you want to get just as dressed up for the second as you do for the first, go for it!

Hello Jennifer. Looks like we live pretty close to each other as I'm from Hilliard.

Congratulations on your first cruise. You will be fine in the dining room with what you have planned. DH & I normally wear slacks and matching tropical shirts on the first night.

And I agree with Cotton regarding formal nights. You will see dressier dresses on first formal night than on second. I usually wear a pair of dressy black palazzo pants and a dressy top for second formal night. Sometimes I wear the same pair of pants with an even dressier top for first formal night. Helps cut down on packing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dianne

Dianne...I'm actually in Hilliard,too! Thanks for the advice and well wishes, too...and thanks to everyone else for their input! I feel a bit more comfortable, now, about my wardrobe choices.....Jennifer

Someday we will have to get together. I know quite a few cruise people from Hilliard. Perhaps we should all have a cruise party together this summer.

If you would like you can e-mail me at gschultz 47 @ msn.com. Just don't use spaces in between.

Who knows, we probably know each other and don't know it yet!:D

Dianne

Archived